Jennings 67

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Mike

Jennings 67

Postby Mike » November 1st, 2001, 5:23 pm

How does "Jennings 67" compare with previous Jenning printed material? What is everyones opinions on Jennings 67? Best routines ect. thanks

Re: Jennings 67

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2001, 6:09 pm

when reading the classic magic of larry jennings and then reading descriptions of the same moves in jennings 67, it is evident how good mr. kaufman is. one of my favorite things in the book is "the other dad stevens shuffle" I also like the creeping reverse, the second variation of stencil aces is very nice.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2001, 8:29 pm

Noah has managed to pick out some of the finest items in "Jennings '67." Dad Steven's Other Shuffle look shockingly good in Jennings' hands. The "Simple Stencil" (either method) is also damn good.
I think one of the problems Mike Maxwell had in trying to write up Jennings' tricks is his complete inexperience as a writer. I have been writing magic for 25 years, and it is tough even for me to capture all of the subtlety of Jennings' handling in print. In fact, I probably don't always succeed. However, there is a lot more detail present in my descriptions than in Maxwell's, and that makes learning the material (or at least understanding it) easier.
I'd be interested to hear what other people say: there were some complaints about "Jennings '67" having old material in it when it was published.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2001, 4:26 am

Jennings 67 is a fine book so is Classic Magic (despite the writing), I refer to both often.
Interesting items in 67 are "The Six/Four Count Card Across" page 77. An easy and killer routine.
Also of great interest "Evolution of A Classic Routine: "Invisible Palm Aces", page 156. Very interesting to read the history of this now classic routine.
The various developments of Pineapple Surprise is also worth attention.
Thanks Richard for a great book. Oh and also Richard...I'm going through "Silent Suffering" waiting for the next two Jennings books.
Take care all.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 2nd, 2001, 6:26 am

When David Acer asked me for my top 10 magic books, for a column he wrote for Genii a few years ago, I included "Jennings '67" among my 10. David wrote to me to ask if I was sure I hadn't made a mistake. I assured him I hadn't.

"Jennings '67" is, for me, the most satisfying description of the magic of I man I greatly admired. The developmental thinking in the successive treatments of "Invisible Palm Aces" is of inestimable value to the serious card student.

Richard managed some of his best descriptive writing in that book, capturing the nuances that Mike Maxwell left out of the (also invaluable) "Classic Magic of LJ" book. If you are able to re-read "Classic Magic" in light of these nuances, I believe you can get a little closer to what Jennings had in mind with those effects.

You must bear in mind that the book is controversial, in that both Jennings and Bruce Cervon claim authorship of the "Invisible Palm" routine. In very pleasant e-mail conversations with Bruce Cervon, I explained that what Richard had written in "Jennings '67" was Larry's version of the history, not necessarily "The Truth," as if that might ever be attainable. (Ref: "Rashomon.")

By the way, David Acer's column of top 10 books had choices from more than a dozen magicians. I forget which issue it's in, but if you haven't read it, it is one of the back-issue Geniis you might consider purchasing.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 2nd, 2001, 8:34 am

I hate to disagree with my buddy Matt, but what's in "Jennings '67" regarding the "Invisible Palm Aces" is not "Larry's version" of history, but history. Period. Bruce Cervon is full of crap. I would also point out that Dai Vernon intensely disliked Bruce Cervon in later years and thought he was a poor magician. This can be easily verified by people at the Magic Castle who were there.
This entire business about Bruce Cervon being one of Vernon's best students, or that Bruce Cervon is somehow the best qualified student to perform and teach Vernon's material is a farce. To those who know the Professor's true feelings, those photos in the "Vernon Chronicles" of Vernon and Cervon are quite nauseating. To those who ask why Vernon went along with the whole thing, it was because he wanted to be accomodating (as always) and because Larry Jennings was involved in Volume 1. When Cervon engineered Jennings elimination from the project, Vernon was stuck with continuing. Frankly, he didn't give a crap about any of it.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » November 2nd, 2001, 9:03 am

Geez -- two uses of "crap" in one post by our esteemed editor! Perhaps, Richard, it's time to dig out your videodisc of Kurosawa's "Rashomon" and give it a look.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 2nd, 2001, 9:16 am

I've seen Rashomon several times.
It all boils down to the fact that Cervon has NOTHING to claim since he reinvented Bill Miesel's already published routine "Invincible," onto which he grafted the suggestions by Vernon for the Tent Vanish and Invisible Palm premise. These suggestions from Vernon were posed in the form of a problem to Cervon after Jennings showed Vernon his routine. Cervon later repeatedly published his routine with NO credit to Bill Miesel WHATSOEVER. He has nothing to claim, because nothing involved here is his.
Is there some part of this story that I have not explained repeatedly before in print?

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » November 2nd, 2001, 9:57 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Is there some part of this story that I have not explained repeatedly before in print?

Nope. That about wraps it up.

Please bear in mind that I said that "Jennings '67" was one of my 10 favorite magic books of all time!!!

Now, why don't we move on to something less controversial, like Marlo's Convincing Control?

:D Matt Field

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Matthew Field ]

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 2nd, 2001, 7:13 pm

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
Now, why don't we move on to something less controversial, like Marlo's Convincing Control?

Laughing Out Loud! Versatile Card Magic is sitting right here next to my computer!

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » November 3rd, 2001, 8:32 am

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:

Laughing Out Loud! Versatile Card Magic is sitting right here next to my computer!

Keep that baby safe, Bill. The Frank Simon book has fetched outrageous prices on eBay. (Others worth their weight in titanium: "Variations" by Earl Nelson, and the Phil Goldstein "Color" booklets on mentalism, the original red-paged looseleaf of Racherbaumer's "Gaffed to the Hilt" with Don England's Arrco gaffs.)

Matt Field

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 3rd, 2001, 11:07 am

Keep that baby safe, Bill. The Frank Simon book has fetched outrageous prices on eBay...

Geez. Perhaps I should post on the For Sale board. I have Red, Blue and Classic Tackler, Variations, the original two volume Invocation and the Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.

How outrageous are we talking...? ;)

The Simon Book stays in my library however... I'd never part with it.

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Bill Duncan ]

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » November 3rd, 2001, 6:39 pm

Re Richard Kaufman's Nov. 2 post about the photo of Vernon & Cervon from the Inner Secrets series, I wanted to say that I can see what Richard means.

I never met Vernon or Cervon, but I have always felt there was something odd about the imagery in that photo. I think it is the placement of Cervon's hand on Vernon that looks trite & manufactured. I felt Cervon's body language was saying "He's my pal and not yours." I had this feeling the first time I saw the photo & without knowledge of the background history.

No offense meant to anyone...just my comments on Richard's post. :)

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Robert Kane ]

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2006, 10:50 am

Richard,

I would love to read more about this. Could you point out a source that I may consult?

Thank you.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 31st, 2006, 7:54 pm

Originally posted by pierredan:

I would love to read more about this. Could you point out a source that I may consult?

Thank you.
Jennings '67

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2006, 8:13 pm

Wow. The answer was hidden in plain sight.

I guess I should put this book at the top of my list.

Thanks.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 31st, 2006, 8:22 pm

It's very odd when these ancient, five-year-old threads get reactivated because someone digs them out and makes a new post.
I was quite hot under the collar in 2001 and have mellowed considerably since then. I read those old posts next to my name and it sounds like someone else wrote them!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 31st, 2006, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by pierredan:
Richard,

Thank you. [/qb]
You might want to check out the excellent feature/cover story on Cervon that was published in Genii. I'm guessing you can order the back issue online if you like. It was an excellent issue.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 3rd, 2006, 10:45 am

I wish Mike Mawell had done a better job on Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Whenever I open that book I cringe at the thought of fighting my way through the awful, confusing text. The beautiful Gagnon illustrations help redeem this book for me. Hey--it's worth having just for those fantastic drawings. Stephen Minch--where the hell were you?

Terry

Postby Terry » February 4th, 2006, 11:35 am

I read those old posts next to my name and it sounds like someone else wrote them!
Pre children era?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Yes, pre-child era.

Terry

Postby Terry » February 5th, 2006, 3:44 am

It's amazing what a child will do for us isn't it?

John Carey

Postby John Carey » February 10th, 2006, 2:12 am

Mr Kaufmann takes it easy!!!!!!!

See ya at Blackpool ;)

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Cervon certainly has talent but for what it's worth he strikes me as the "too perfect" theory presentor. Too slick to be real.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 11th, 2006, 11:13 am

Originally posted by wcb39:
Too slick to be real.
What does that mean?

Postby Guest » March 16th, 2006, 7:14 pm

It's very odd when these ancient, five-year-old threads get reactivated because someone digs them out and makes a new post.
I was quite hot under the collar in 2001 and have mellowed considerably since then. I read those old posts next to my name and it sounds like someone else wrote them!
Evidently these were posted by "The Evil Kaufman" from the "Enemy Within" episode of the Vernon Chronicles.

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Originally posted by Terry Terrell:
It's amazing what a child will do for us isn't it?
Support for the post-birthday-party line for the parents: "The children provided the real magic!"

:D

John Smallie

Postby John Smallie » September 8th, 2008, 1:27 pm

I recently picked up this book. It was wonderful to get a glimpse into Mr Jennings creative process. One trick that particularly interested me was Ogudogo twist. I've worked on it for some time and feel fairly comfortable with the mechanics. I was wondering if any one else had worked on it and if they had shown it to an audience(I have not)what was their reaction. The only real weakness I can see with the effect is having to go back to the deck for the counting process. Any input you could give would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks for your attention

John

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 8th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Jennings hated the name I came up with for that trick, but really, trying to come up with trick names is just beyond my ability at this late date. Here's how far back that is (in my mind): I can't even remember what kind of trick it was except for the fact that it is another version of Vernon's "Twisting the Aces." But if you have any specific questions, I can go back and reread it and try to answer them. (Aside from going back to the deck--I can't help you with that.)

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 8th, 2008, 7:05 pm

What I love about Jennings '67 the most is the correct explanation to open travellers. The Classic magic of LJ's description is deficient in detail and explanation of mechanics IMO. Also the Gordon double lift is explained a lot better. The previous book says something like "hold the double as one and let it snap to a face down position." I had so much trouble with not only that but just it didn't seem the classic that Jennings performed. Anyway, the book is great and I really recommend it to anyone.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » September 12th, 2008, 2:21 am

Bought THAT book at SEAM 2008 last month. Too many books I bought within a year.... I have lot of reading to catching up! Oh brother!
*grin*
Last edited by Richard Perrin on September 12th, 2008, 2:25 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: can't decide which book to start study!

magicfish

Postby magicfish » August 12th, 2011, 2:20 pm

My favourite item from this book is LJ's brilliant Bevel Palm.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Yes, that is a great palm. The basic idea is Howie Schwarzman's, but Larry added some nice touches that improve its functionality.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » August 12th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Richard, ive heard muuch about Howies top palm, i was a shy 16 year old when i met him in 1990, i wish i could go back in time.
Ive studied Carneys description of Vernons Top Palm. Im i correct in assuming that Howies and Larrys palms are directly influenced by Vernons?
Respectfully, Rodney

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Yes, but they're quite different because Vernon's requires no overt action, while the others do.

lakewoodcards

Postby lakewoodcards » November 25th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Matthew Field wrote:By the way, David Acer's column of top 10 books had choices from more than a dozen magicians. I forget which issue it's in, but if you haven't read it, it is one of the back-issue Geniis you might consider purchasing.

Matt Field

Does anyone know what issue this was?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Considering the dates of the posts at the beginning of this thread, I'd say it was in the year 2000 or 2001. It's easy enough if you're a Genii subscriber to look through the back issues on Ask Alexander and find it.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » November 26th, 2012, 11:17 am

"Books vs Video Tapes" by David Acer
Aug 2000 (Adelaide Herrmann cover), p. 24
(Vol 63, p. 640)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm

In AskAlexander, the search phrase "gimme a good" (in quotes) goes straight to the article.

And Richard Hatch's choices did not include Erdnase!
Dick, what were you thinking?

lakewoodcards

Postby lakewoodcards » November 26th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Thanks! Ordered back issue...

Return to “Kaufman & Company”