"Thoughts of Tom Jacobsen" Life Savers

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Edward Pungot

"Thoughts of Tom Jacobsen" Life Savers

Postby Edward Pungot » July 12th, 2016, 10:58 pm

Philippe Billot

Re: "Thoughts of Tom Jacobsen" Life Savers

Postby Philippe Billot » July 13th, 2016, 2:51 am

And now the magician has to PROVE that the sock which traveled is the SAME as Marlo did with a card in his variante of The PIano Trick.

Enjoy!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 13th, 2016, 3:35 am

The sound came on before the image and before I realised who it was, I thought, "What a good speaking voice."
Clarity of effect with simple, clear, specific instructions. Mentalists (and magicians) should pay attention to that.

performer

Postby performer » July 13th, 2016, 5:44 am

Yes. His voice is good and that is indeed a very important asset for a magician or mentalist. I was once watching a magic show and saw an excellent Irish mentalist named Tony Sadar and a friend who was with me at the time said, "I like him". I asked her why and she said "he has a very good voice". It does make a very big difference. Another example was at one time there were two excellent stage hypnotists in Ireland competing with one another. An agent I was talking to mentioned both of them. I asked which one she liked the best. She named one and said "no comparison". I asked her why there was "no comparison" and she remarked "He has a far better voice" I have always said it makes all the difference.

However, although that guy in the video whoever he is, has a good voice I am afraid his presentation of that sock trick is dreadfully long winded and nearly put me to sleep. I think he should put a sock in it.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » July 13th, 2016, 8:25 am

"I think he should put a sock in it"

Thank you, Performer, I discover this expression...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 13th, 2016, 10:29 am

I really enjoyed Weber's performance, and noted the fact that the host was interested just on the premise alone. So much better than: "Look, here's a kumquat. Now it's gone" or just staring spookily at people.

Plus, I like the fact that Weber's routine has been in print for ages (First in The Linking Ring, right?), and I've never seen anyone do it. (Eric Mead's version is worth looking up as well).

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 13th, 2016, 10:34 am

Tomo Maeda does a version of it, which he performed on one of my "Face to Face with Genii Magazine" interviews. He winds up with two unmatched socks, then holds up his feet which shows him wearing the mates to that unmatched pair.

Matt Field

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 13th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Matthew Field wrote:Tomo Maeda does a version of it, which he performed on one of my "Face to Face with Genii Magazine" interviews. He winds up with two unmatched socks, then holds up his feet which shows him wearing the mates to that unmatched pair.

Matt Field

That sounds great, Matt--gotta hunt down that interview.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 13th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:And now the magician has to PROVE that the sock which traveled is the SAME as Marlo did with a card in his variant of The Piano Trick.

Enjoy!

The color angle is a pretty nice convincer. It would take quite a bit of backtracking once the socks are away to figure out what happened.

Anyone tried this with two specs holding the socks instead of using a table? Each spec represents a washing machine. That could be fun.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 13th, 2016, 3:59 pm

If you take a look at the youtube channel of the person that posted this video, there is also nice segment of Michael Close performing Dr. Strangetrick on this show.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 13th, 2016, 5:56 pm

The other piano-type effect I really like is Steinmeyer's "Apples and Oranges", although I found while practicing this, it's easy for me to get confused unless I stay current with it.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » July 15th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Anyone tried this with two specs holding the socks instead of using a table? Each spec represents a washing machine. That could be fun.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/mentalism/electric-touch-plus/

Return to “Kaufman & Company”