The Secrets of So Sato

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
performer

Re: The Secrets of So Sato

Postby performer » September 18th, 2016, 4:49 am

JHostler wrote:
Steve Mills wrote:I always enjoyed HLs Last Word and frequently read the tricks he mentioned there first.

Of course, there was/is always a huge price to pay for HL's excitement. Many (including myself) have found the tone... if yaknowwhatImean... "difficult." IMHO, Kaufman and Minch have set the modern standard.

Oh, I am a massive fan of Harry Lorayne's "excitement". And his writing style is superb. Learning is a serious thing and it can be hard going for some. Anything that can sweeten the process and make it more interesting has to be a good thing. It encourages you to keep reading. I learned more from the teachers at school that imparted the facts in an interesting or even amusing way than the ones who droned on and on in a boring manner.

And of course this kind of thing gives you an insight into the personality of the author. Somehow (and I confess I don't know quite how) this makes the subject easier to learn.

Perhaps this is why I found the Thirteen Steps to Mentalism easier to digest than Annemann's Practical Mental Effects which I have hardly looked at even though the material is probably much stronger than that in the Corinda book. The 13 Steps is easier and more entertaining to read with little quips and flashes of humour from Corinda which make the learning easier.

No. I am all for Harry's "excitement" and enthusiasm. It makes his writing come alive. And apart from anything else his clarity in describing technical moves is extraordinary. I have done a little writing myself trying to describe moves and sleights. It is a surprisingly difficult thing to do. I have tried my best but I wish I had that innate instinct for clarity that Harry has.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 18th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Thanks, Richard, for the list. I just remembered to check my own notes, and he also did Magic Slap. (Very well!)

performer

Postby performer » September 20th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Having said all the above I have been looking at the Berglas Effects book by Richard. I am not sure anyone else could have written it. I am incredibly impressed with how astutely he has figured out the character and personality of David Berglas, the way he thinks and how he approaches his magic which is actually to a large extent based on his personality characteristics. It is quite a profound book and has a lot of depth to it. I think it may well turn out to be Richard's greatest book.

It occurs to me that at some point the book might merit a follow up volume consisting of non card items. David does some incredible magic where cards are not involved which would be well worth writing up. His methods of sleeving, (which I actually do after reading articles in the Gen magazine long ago), his fabulous cigarette routine, his pickpocketing, not to mention the best blindfold work I have ever seen.

Another tome at some point would be a terribly good thing methinks. Of course I know the enthusiasm and urge has to be there and that may be a long time coming. But come it should I think.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 20th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Thank you, Mark. I spent (literally) 100 hours with David in order to pick his brain.
But I don't see another book in the future.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

performer

Postby performer » September 20th, 2016, 6:09 pm

When I was young I remember him tossing a deck of cards behind his back with his right hand and catching it with his left hand right in front of him. It is not in the book. He probably doesn't do it any more.

There is also a card trick that he described years ago in something he wrote and published himself called (I think) the Berglas Files. I still do it occasionally. You produce the wrong selected card but you rectify the situation by putting it face up into the face down deck with half its length protruding. By doing the well known spring flourish the card changes visibly to the selected card. It looks quite astonishing and very visual indeed.

Another thing he wrote in that slim book was a method to gain attention of audience members who are ignoring you and chattering among themselves. You flick a lighted ball of flash paper over their head and that soon gains their attention!

There is also a very valuable chapter on David's magic in The Art of Close up Magic by Lewis Ganson. I can't remember whether it is volume one or volume two. It describes his methods of sleeving and much, much more.

performer

Postby performer » September 21st, 2016, 9:38 pm

The only thing I can't figure out is not so much the book but the DVDs. Or I should say DVD number one. The book says that I am supposed to click the word "Genii" and lo and behold a PDF is supposed to appear. Well, I have been clicking for minutes (although it seems like hours) and not a bloody thing happens. How the hell does thing work?

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » September 21st, 2016, 10:28 pm

Is the disc in the DVD player or in the computer?
Try the computer.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

performer

Postby performer » September 21st, 2016, 10:44 pm

It's OK. I figured it out. But thanks anyway. It was in the computer anyway but the clicking didn't work. i had to fiddle about pressing buttons at random all over the place and not even with the disc player and somehow it came up by accident. As David Berglas says "nothing is impossible" but this bloody well nearly was!

I found the interview very interesting particularly the bit where David worked Al Burnett's Stork Room and only got 8 pounds instead of 10! I also worked the Stork Room after Burnett came up to help me on the cabaret floor in the club next door (the L'Hirondelle). He was pretty tipsy and could hardly stand. I don't think he even knew what trick I was doing. Afterwards he told me he knew my father and that he was a great magician. I said, "Are you sure?" because I knew he had it wrong. He said, "Yes, your father was known as the Great McLeod!". To this day I have no idea what he was talking about. I suspect neither did he.

Anyway, I got booked in the Stork Room the following week. He did pay me the full amount though.

Y\'s-guy

Postby Y\'s-guy » September 23rd, 2016, 1:34 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:He did Bushfire Triumph, Follow the Leader, and an Oil and Water (which is not in the book).

Don't forget to add to his great opener in this set list - "Magic Slap"

Y

Return to “Kaufman & Company”