Labyrinth Deluxe Edition

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
todsky
Favorite Magician: carding

Labyrinth Deluxe Edition

Postby todsky » November 10th, 2015, 11:17 am

I received my deluxe edition of Labyrinth, but it turns out the only thing that makes it deluxe is a slipcover and a sticker on the inside page that has a number and a signature on it. I was under the impression that what made a deluxe edition special was a better quality binding. If I had known that I was only going to get a slipcase and signed sticker for the extra $40, I would have gone with the regular edition. Not so happy about this.

Todd

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Labyrinth Deluxe Edition

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2015, 12:40 pm

I have been selling deluxe editions like this for many decades going back to the 1980s. It is a limited edition, numbered, signed by the author, and it has a slipcase.

I'm sure you'll be able to sell it for what you paid if you don't care for the product. Nowhere did the advertising state that there would be a different binding.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

todsky

Postby todsky » November 10th, 2015, 3:12 pm

The book itself is not really a limited edition; more accurately the signed and numbered sticker is a limited edition. The book itself is identical to the 'unlimited' edition.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Then I suggest you don't buy my next limited edition if you're not satisfied.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 10th, 2015, 8:40 pm

todsky wrote:The book itself is not really a limited edition ...

I wonder why a published magic bibliographer—you know, someone who grasps the difference between the various editions of books—insisted on purchasing both the deluxe edition as well as the regular edition of my book, Catching Up with Milo and Roger, even though he knew full well that the only difference between them was a tipped in 8x10 photo, of which there were only 25 (that is covering the same printed image in the book). Perhaps it's because he's a knowledgeable collector and bibliographer who knows that even that one little difference makes it, in absolute fact, a different, limited, edition.

todsky

Postby todsky » November 10th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Then I suggest you don't buy my next limited edition if you're not satisfied.

Yes, next time I'll probably just get the regular edition, put my own sticker inside, and sign it myself.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » November 10th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Unless the author signs more numbered editions (which he won't), and unless there are more numbered editions (which there won't be) then the book is a limited edition.

Put it in a slipcase, and it's utterly unlike any regular edition of the book.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of the words being used, or indeed what a deluxe edition which also happens to be a limited edition actually is.

You would seem like a "regular edition" kind of guy anyway, based on your posts.
Last edited by Roger M. on November 10th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

todsky

Postby todsky » November 10th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:
todsky wrote:The book itself is not really a limited edition ...

I wonder why a published magic bibliographer—you know, someone who grasps the difference between the various editions of books—insisted on purchasing both the deluxe edition as well as the regular edition of my book, Catching Up with Milo and Roger, even though he knew full well that the only difference between them was a tipped in 8x10 photo, of which there were only 25 (that is covering the same printed image in the book). Perhaps it's because he's a knowledgeable collector and bibliographer who knows that even that one little difference makes it, in absolute fact, a different, limited, edition.

I'm certainly not an expert collector; I can only go by my past experiences buying a few limited editions, and they were often specially bound (Apocalypse by LLPub, for example). Anyhow, now I know that's not always the case.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2015, 9:43 pm

It's not always the case, no, and my ad copy will always reflect what the differences are. For example, when I used to do deluxe editions with bonded leather bindings, I always stated that in my ads.

I have limited edition releases of many of Will Eisner's books: all are identical to the regular edition other than the signed bookplate. No slipcase.

todsky

Postby todsky » November 10th, 2015, 9:49 pm

Roger M. wrote:Unless the author signs more numbered editions (which he won't), and unless there are more numbered editions (which there won't be) then the book is a limited edition.

Put it in a slipcase, and it's utterly unlike any regular edition of the book.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of the words being used, or indeed what a deluxe edition which also happens to be a limited edition actually is.

You would seem like a "regular edition" kind of guy anyway, based on your posts.

To me the word 'edition' implies an actual book, not the add-ons such as a sticker and a slipcase. (Semantics, I suppose.) Occasionally I play with the idea of collecting books, but I'm mainly interested in finding useable material, so on that front the book should succeed quite well, I think.

todsky

Postby todsky » November 10th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's not always the case, no, and my ad copy will always reflect what the differences are. For example, when I used to do deluxe editions with bonded leather bindings, I always stated that in my ads.

I have limited edition releases of many of Will Eisner's books: all are identical to the regular edition other than the signed bookplate. No slipcase.

Fair enough. I have received an education on limited and deluxe editions in this topic, so that has given my purchase extra value and made it even more deluxe. Looking forward to getting inside it and finding the gems.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2015, 10:58 pm

It's not easy to get Stephen Hobbs' autograph! :)

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 11th, 2015, 4:31 am

todsky wrote:I'm mainly interested in finding useable material, so on that front the book should succeed quite well, I think.

Indeed it does.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”