False Dealing/Faro shuffles

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
CENTERDEAL
Favorite Magician: Darwin ortiz

False Dealing/Faro shuffles

Postby CENTERDEAL » July 7th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Hi everyone!,

So... this is my question to you all. What would your top books be for false dealing and the Faro shuffle?. I brought Simon Lovell's Second to none to try and polish up on my Seconds. What would you advise.

Many thanks to you all.

Rick Franceschin

Re: False Dealing/Faro shuffles

Postby Rick Franceschin » July 7th, 2015, 10:41 pm

Lovell's second deal is a very good push off method, one of the best in so far as using it for magic goes. I think that the Expert Card Technique Strike second is a very fine approach and very well described. Bill Simon, Erdnase, and the Marlo methods in his Revolutionary Card Series are often cited as important and valuable resources. Ultimately I would advise anyone interested in any aspect of card work to have the whole Card College collection.

CENTERDEAL
Favorite Magician: Darwin ortiz

Postby CENTERDEAL » July 7th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Rick Franceschin wrote:Lovell's second deal is a very good push off method, one of the best in so far as using it for magic goes. I think that the Expert Card Technique Strike second is a very fine approach and very well described. Bill Simon, Erdnase, and the Marlo methods in his Revolutionary Card Series are often cited as important and valuable resources. Ultimately I would advise anyone interested in any aspect of card work to have the whole Card College collection.

Many thanks Rick!, I haven't picked up a deck of cards in 5 years and i am now realizing how rusty i am :). I remember spending many many full days locked in my bedroom as a kid learning the strike second.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 8th, 2015, 12:41 am

If you are talking about Meir Yedid's edition of Lovell's book, I'm a fan of it (check the acknowledgements to see why).

Jason England has good manuscripts on both seconds and bottoms.

And while I'm not sure you need a book for faros (it's just a knack that you work on until you get it), a demonstration or instruction from someone who knows how can really be helpful. But Mike Close's ebook on faros is well spoken of.

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » October 22nd, 2015, 1:03 am

Faro:
Murray Bonfield: Faro Concepts
Alex Elmsley: Collected Works
Karl Fulves: Faro & Riffle Technique, Faro Possibilities
Roberto Giobbi: Card College 3
Hugard & Braue: Expert Card Technique
Ed Marlo: Faro Shuffle, Faro Notes, Faro Controlled Miracles
S. Brent Morris: Magic Tricks,Card Shuffling and Dynamic Computer Memories
Rusduck: The Cardiste
Paul Swinford: Faro Fantasy, More Faro Fantasy

performer

Postby performer » October 22nd, 2015, 3:45 am

I never really learned the second deal because in my younger days I couldn't see much point to it as there didn't really seem to be many tricks that you could do with it. However, later on I did find more available so I took an interest in it. I can now do a perfect imitation of a second deal that is quite undetectable. I had magicians following me around at a convention to view it for themselves. I had no idea what they were talking about before I realised what was going on.

As for the faro shuffle I have probably done more faro shuffles than any magician in history but have never actually used it in a trick. And I have only done it with poor quality cards. The truth is that when you sell svengali decks you often use uncollated decks as they are the cheapest to purchase. So of course in order to demonstrate them you have to collate at least some of them. And the quickest way to collate them is the faro shuffle. And of course the svengali decks that pitchmen sell are poor quality as that is all the public deserve and it makes the whole operation more profitable.

Of course when you can do it with poor quality cards then decks of a better quality are a breeze. I never fail to get a perfect shuffle with a regular deck of reasonable quality.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 22nd, 2015, 8:32 am

Heh. I remember the instruction cards in the Chinese decks that David Cronin sold in Harrods - they suggested that you do a riffle shuffle - showing the traditional packets curved like a banana - ensuring that each side drops one card each.

David, in his pitch, made sure to explain how to set the deck up without superhuman shuffling skill :)

performer

Postby performer » October 22nd, 2015, 9:38 am

Yes, David was certainly happy to give the punters incomprehensible instructions. Like myself he was very anxious to protect the secrets of magic from the public and giving them lousy instructions was a superb way to do it.

David was a master of the "blink fake". This was an eyeglass cleaner. There was a whole tub of it. I still remember one eminent grafter talking to me about David and the profit margin of the eyeglass cleaner. He said, "Ronnie, that's not bad for a tub of soap, is it?" David sold this every year at the Daily Mail Ideal Homes Exhibition.

I sold a different type of eyeglass cleaner for a while. My supplier used to get unused lipstick containers from a lipstick company either for free or a very low price (I can't remember which). He would stuff it with cotton wool filled with fairy liquid a well known detergent and that was the eyeglass cleaner. It worked quite well and I sold a ton of them. Alas my supplier was murdered by a person or persons unknown. He was cut up into pieces and the portions therewith put in a garbage bag. I remember being terribly peeved over the matter since I couldn't buy the eyeglass cleaners any more.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”