Starting in coins - Bobo Study Guide?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Starting in coins - Bobo Study Guide?

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 12:37 pm

Hey Folks,

So as the subject implies I'm a rank beginner in the world of coins. I'm also a hack when it comes to cards, but that's an entirely different subject. In any event, I'm looking for good starting points for how best to learn, where to start etc. I own a copy of Bobo's NMCM, but I have to admit it's left me reeling. There's so much material in there that I'm having a really hard time figuring a way to digest it all.

So I guess the real question is whether there are some recommendations on how best to approach NMCM? Is there an "easier" routine to focus on that would incorporate some of the basic slights and give you the skills needed to build on? I'm looking to gain enough skill to have a short convincing routing that I can build on as I learn some of the more complex stuff. Anyone have some advice?

Thanks much,

-Timothy

Re: Starting in coins - Bobo Study Guide?

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 3:52 pm

Hello Timothy,

Dan Watkins has a wonderful site devoted to coin magic called the coin purse. On it you will find a beginners section and under the articles section you will find a wonderful article called "A study guide to Bobo's" it is highly recommended reading! You can get to it by typing in coinpurse.com

Regards,

Mark :)

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2002, 6:48 pm

Just one bit of clarification...

My friend Dominic Reyes is the owner of "The Coin Purse" www.coinmagic.com, and there is a study guide for Bobo's there. I write a lot of the reviews for Dominic's site.

I also have my own coin magic website called www.coinvanish.com. Timothy, goto the "foundations" section of my website to learn what to focus on just beginning with Bobo's. Also is some detailed teaching on how to properly classic palm a coin, which is very valuable for one just starting.

While your there feel free to sit back and watch some of the streaming coin magic videos I have put up there.

Good luck with coins.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2002, 8:17 am

Sounds great, I'll check both of them out. Thanks much for the help guys.

-Timothy

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » August 9th, 2002, 8:37 am

Of all the magic videos that you can find in the market about coin magic, I highly recomend David Stone coin magic.
It is like the dummies series taking you from ground level to intermidiate. It is a very nice set of videos, made of 2 vols.

Regards,

Carlos Hampton
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2002, 10:01 am

Dan,

Sorry for the mess up atributing someone elses site to you. I though they were both run by you. Thanks for the clarification. They are GREAT sites for the coinworker, and in that I am not mistaken.

Regards,

Mark

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 27th, 2017, 1:05 pm

I can relate to you because I still remember when I first arrived in NY after having read Bobo etc. Now after studying coins for 54 years I remember like it was yesterday seeing Roth and Latta and also Presto, and because I read Bobo I thought they were sleeving all the time. (Jack Chanin in Philadelphia at the same time WAS sleeving all the time). But the boys in NY were using the Kaps/Malini Subtlety and totally floored me.

One of the main things I want to say is don't let people convince you that you have to classic palm all the time to be good. After using classic palm myself for years, I'm finding myself using finger palm and good acting and simulation and can make the hand look more natural when 'holding-out'. As with everything magical, if you want to entertain laymen you can have a lot of fun with less technical difficulty and more attention to acting and entertaining, but if you are thinking of fooling or impressing magicians...look out ! It can get very complicated fast.

A good book is Richard Kaufman's Coinmagic from Kaufman and Greenberg. Best wishes.

Return to “General”