The Top 100 Magicians of the Century

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Geno Munari

The Top 100 Magicians of the Century

Postby Geno Munari » October 8th, 2001, 5:20 am

Last Year Magic Magazine ran a list of the top 100 magicians of the century. Impressive as it was, many great names were left out and many names included that were not so great. Anyone care to take a shot at building a real accurate list without political overtones to inclusion or exclusion?
Geno

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: The Top 100 Magicians of the Century

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 8th, 2001, 6:54 am

Is this list solely for great performers, or should it include the creators and inventors who may not be such great performers. Personally, I think the great inventors should be listed, as they have had just as much an impact on the face of magic as the performers have.

-Jim

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » October 8th, 2001, 8:15 am

I agree. It should consider all people in magic whether inventors or performers. Inventors may not be professional entertainers, but I am sure that when they are inventing, they have to be performing just to test out an idea.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 8th, 2001, 4:09 pm

Geno,

I'm not sure that it's possible to create a definitive list of the "top 100" magicians without resorting to "politics" or - heaven forbid - opinion. Such are the perils of taxonomies of personalities. And it's worth noting that the MAGIC list did include inventors, writers, publishers, scholars, historians and even one mystery (Erdnase). Do you want to hear something really scary? It was two years ago that MAGIC published the full list of 100!

Best,
Dustin

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Dustin Stinett ]

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » October 8th, 2001, 8:37 pm

It is scarry that magiciansike Grippo and Skinner, and Johnny Paul never made the list.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2001, 7:56 am

Geno,
I agree. I especially agree with Skinner. The problem is, when you limit yourself to a certain number, someone is going to get excluded. I don't believe anything was intentional, I think their list was pretty broad-based, just left out a lot of personal favorites.
Rick

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 22nd, 2017, 1:08 pm

Are we talking about LAST century or this century ? Last century, I'm guessing. Also, I like the idea of including inventors and innovators. Bobby Baxter always said he was an 'innovator'. Presto (Earle Johnson) was great but I don't think he ever got famous...almost did. Anyway, who are the great ones for this new century ? I think that would be a good new list. I hope Richard Kaufman makes the list. Regards, Gregg Webb

performer

Postby performer » February 22nd, 2017, 2:33 pm

All the best magicians are dead. Come to think of it I don't feel that well myself.

Return to “General”