Zombie

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Zombie

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 6:09 pm

Hello,

I was wondering how big a cloth for a Zombie should be. I was also wondering if any of you could suggest a routine for a Zombie for a kids show because i have never used a zombie before.

Thank you,
KJ Maginnis

Re: Zombie

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2002, 6:37 am

Hi, KJ

Do you have a Zombie already? If not, you might think twice about buying one.

First, Zombie demands a tremendous amount of showmanship and pacing of routine that new magicians (and some experienced ones, too!) often lack.

Secondly, one must pay careful attention to lighting (that is, NO strong back lighting), or the illusion will be exposed.

Thirdly, the correct foulard will cost much more than the Zombie does!

Fourthly, children can often see right through to the heart of things like Zombie, as they have no prior life experiences to cloud their thinking like adults do.

OK; if you must have one, then save yourself a bundle of $$ while you see if you really want one. Get this:

Miracle Ball by J. Karson (this is a lighter, less expensive, easier to use Zombie that works the same way, and it comes with the suitable cloth and stand) -- around $10 to $12

Floating Ball Magic (this is a book of ideas to enhance the Miracle Ball, and is definitely worth having) -- under $5

Play around with this to see if you really like it. It is much easier to use than Zombie, and it responds better to lighting effects, too.

One man's opinion,

Jon

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » November 26th, 2002, 6:45 am

Originally posted by Jon A. Hand:
...First, Zombie demands a tremendous amount of showmanship and pacing of routine that new magicians (and some experienced ones, too!) often lack....
Indeed. For a short time I wondered why it was called a "Zombie" until I realized that's exactly the effect it had on me.

L-

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2002, 7:54 am

The Heretic Speaks: Forget the damn "Zombie." Too many people do it and most of them stink. It's VERY hard to do well.
I would suggest buying Losander's Floating Table. The effect is astonishing and it is much easier to do than a standard "Zombie" even though it uses the same principle (with some help from Tommy Wonder).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » November 26th, 2002, 10:26 am

Great idea. Will somebody loan me $1,000?

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2002, 2:13 pm

Well, i already have a Zombie. And since i already have it all I was looking for was how big the cloth should be and some ideas for kids shows with it.

Thanks,
KJ Maginnis

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 26th, 2002, 3:28 pm

KJ,

Everything starts with the question: why are you using a cloth at all? Until you have a good answer to this question, you might want to hold off on putting in the extensive rehearsal time required to make this trick look even half-decent.

Thinking about why a cloth may lead you to some non-standard cloth-substitutes you can use. For example, if you wear black on stage you might be able to get away with a fishnet-type cloth. You may have to limit some of your moves, and the lighting will have to be just right, but using aa see-through cloth will really make the illusion a thousand times stronger. And using a net makes sense in a trick that features a floating ball with a mind of its own.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » November 26th, 2002, 6:08 pm

The Heretic Speaks: Forget the damn "Zombie." Too many people do it and most of them stink. It's VERY hard to do well.
I would suggest buying Losander's Floating Table. The effect is astonishing and it is much easier to do than a standard "Zombie" even though it uses the same principle (with some help from Tommy Wonder).

Who does the Zombie?
Salwalk ,Tim wright,Wonder,Neilsen,McBride(alittle) and this Dr. guy who did at Abbott's 10 years ago blew everyone when he remove the cloth. It was a great moment. Whatever happen to him?

Not many anymore. It's a great piece of magic.
Because it's a floating object. No lighting, No threads, No special curtain in back.Packs small,plays big.
But it's really an acting piece.
Books of Wonder Vol. 2 has great info.

I don't think you should tell someone to forget it. They might come up with something great! Look at Lance?
People told him to forgot about the doves.
Now he's cashing in as the birdman of Las Vegas.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2002, 6:12 pm

Actually, Al Schneider does an amazing close-up "Zombie" routine. Startling and good. I'm supposed to redo his book on the subject.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2002, 8:20 pm

Great news, Richard! Put me down for a copy. I love the Zombie, most laymen have never seen it live, and it's true - it's hard to do well, but THAT'S THE FUN! Last time I did my Zombie routine, an audience member came up later and commented on how well my offstage assistant controlled the ball! I smiled and said, "Thank you!" --Asrah

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » November 27th, 2002, 4:45 pm

Oh , Gen Grant does the zombie too.

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » November 27th, 2002, 7:46 pm

Lance Burton is essentially doing the Zombie with floating bird cage and it is great.

Return to “General”