Card Glue

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Card Glue

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2002, 1:05 pm

I want to do a trick where I need to glue cards back to back. Can anyone recommend a glue suitable for Bicycle cards?
Thanks
Stuart

Oliver Corpuz

Re: Card Glue

Postby Oliver Corpuz » February 18th, 2002, 4:44 pm

Stuart,

Try 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I have tried just about everything and this stuff really is extra tacky and holds the best, especially when making acrobatic cards.

Also, if you really want to get the back-to-back gaffed card right, you should split the cards first so you don't have an extra thick card. If you are splitting the cards, I also recommend that you use a hand roller to roll out any bend caused by the splitting, air bubbles, or excess glue. Then press the card overnight so it is perfectly flat. I sandwich cards between two welding glass faceplates and four powerful spring clamps. By the time it is done, the gaff should feel and handle just like any other card.

Regards and good luck.

Oliver

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 19th, 2002, 9:56 pm

If you do a lot of split/glued cards get an electric photo dry mount press.
Stay tooned.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 20th, 2002, 7:00 am

CARD GLUE RECIPE:

First, take one old horse . . .

Matt Field

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » February 20th, 2002, 11:11 am

Dog food or card glue?

Decisions, decisions...

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 22nd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Restickable (Repositionable) glue stick is my favorite because it is flexible. Regards, Gregg Webb

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 22nd, 2017, 4:53 pm

Gregg: is that the Scotch brand or the 3M brand?

Also, for a non-repositionable adhesive I use:

https://www.xyron.com/en-us/products/cr ... a-sticker/

and to align the cards:

http://www.toddlassen.com/coins/lrg/card_gaft.jpg

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » February 23rd, 2017, 11:19 am

If I may be allowed to digress a bit, rather than splitting a card, I have read that it is preferable to sand down one side of the card until the center of the card is reached. I believe it was Steven Youell who gave this advice.

It has been a while since I have made special cards, but I believe I used the 3M spray.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2017, 2:04 pm

If you want to make gimmicked cards the best possible way, you need to use dry mount tissue and a heat pressed (or an iron).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

lybrary

Postby lybrary » February 23rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Bill Marquardt wrote:If I may be allowed to digress a bit, rather than splitting a card, I have read that it is preferable to sand down one side of the card until the center of the card is reached. I believe it was Steven Youell who gave this advice.

I have done this for many years. It is included in my "Magician's DIY Tips and Tricks". http://www.lybrary.com/magicians-diy-ti ... 35831.html I independently found this method by messing around in my workshop, but I am sure others have discovered this method, too. It is faster and more fool proof than splitting cards once everything is setup properly. But once you know how to print, coat, and cut cards, which look just as good as bought cards there is no need for splitting or sanding anymore http://www.lybrary.com/how-to-make-your ... -a-11.html
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 23rd, 2017, 5:55 pm

Be careful using Lybrary's services. The online card designer uses both the Bicycle Rider Back and the stylized Ace design from the Ace of Spades, both of which are the trademarked intellectual property of the USPCC. Remember, "there is no excuse to use the services of a pirate unless you endorse piracy."

lybrary

Postby lybrary » February 23rd, 2017, 6:06 pm

Bill, you clearly don't understand trademarks. For magic purposes the Bicycle back is not protected. I am quoting from my ebook "How to Make Your Own Playing Cards" http://www.lybrary.com/how-to-make-your ... 32680.html

USPCC has registered the Bicycle back design in class 16 which is for ‘paper goods and printed matter’. However, the US trademark law also recognizes class 8 ‘hand tools’. In the explanation to class 8 one can read: “Class 8 includes mainly hand-operated implements used as tools in the respective professions.” I claim that gaffed cards are hand tools in the magic profession. Gaffed cards are tools we achieve our miracles with. Therefore USPCC class 16 trademark does not apply to gaffed cards for the magician. In particular the trademark regulation states under class 16: This Class does not include, in particular hand tools for artists which are class 8. Magicians are artists and gaffed cards are their tools and therefore an applicable trademark does need to be held in class 8. Most regular playing cards are actually registered in class 28 for games and toys.

Additionally trademarks only apply to 'use in commerce'. That means personal use of a free tool does not constitute commerce. No cards are sold or bought and could lead to brand confusion which is all that trademark tries to prevent. In other words, my online tool does not violate any USPCC trademarks, nor does making gaffed cards with Bicycle backs for personal use.

Just for those who want to ponder this issue a bit deeper: If you think USPCC has trademark protection on Bicycle gaffed cards then also splitting a USPCC Bicycle card to create some gaffed card with their back design is an infringement of their trademark, because you are altering their product without permission. Under trademark rules this is not allowed. So Bill, if you are taking your opinion serious, you would need to go after all those card splitters, too.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 24th, 2017, 7:44 am

Here's a tip: in law the guy with the most money gets to make the rules.

1. Never rely heavily on any legal advice from anyone who isn't a lawyer.

2. Legal advice from a lawyer is only valid if it's your lawyer and you've paid him or her for his advice.

Feel free to ignore me, since I've offended rule 2.

There are seldom any analyses of the ownership of intellectual property law that are simple, clear and not subject to endless qualifications and assumptions. In case of a tie, you can stay out of trouble if you assume the person with more money is right.

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » March 1st, 2017, 1:56 pm

I promise to look at the brand on my restickable glue stick and report on next Monday. (I think both work) In the meanwhile I have a lawyer joke; 'At a party a doctor goes up to a lawyer and asks "If someone asks my professional opinion at a party, can I bill them?" The lawyer says only "Yes". And several days later the Doctor gets a huge bill in the mail from the lawyer. Ha Ha Ha Regards Gregg Webb

Return to “General”