Frank Garcia

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Frank Garcia

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2002, 2:47 pm

Hello! I'm doing some research on the late
Frank Garcia. I never had the opportunity to
watch Mr. Garcia perform. I do have one of
his video tapes from Stars of Magic (The
first one with Triumph Outdone & Eyemazing.)
and one of his books, "Magic With Cards."

What I'm interested in is if some of his
friends or anyone who saw him perform could
tell me what his favorite or pet tricks were?
Did he change his routine from time-to-time?
Or did he have a set routine like Don Alan
and Albert Goshman?

I deeply appreciate any input on this late
"giant" of magic.

-- Steve Macko

Re: Frank Garcia

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2002, 7:04 pm

Well I didn't know Frank Garcia but the latest issue of Mr. Gadfly has a few of Mr. Garcia's friends talking about him.

Noah Levine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 5th, 2002, 6:28 pm

Do a Frank Garcia shearch on ebay, there's a guy selling a few Private, home video tapes of Garcia... reasonably priced too. ;)
Stay tooned.

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » March 24th, 2002, 9:08 pm

Steve,

I am not sure my anecdote is what you want for your project, but I have fond memories of meeting Frank Garcia numerous times when I was a young magician growing up in New York and hanging out at Lou Tannen's during the early 60's. I remember him as a good natured and good-humored man who was highly regarded in the magical scene there, and tolerant of us young guys. He published much excellent material, notably but not limited to very innovative sponge balls stuff. Another post here from Richard Kaufman (that I just read today) suggests that Frank's work is largely unavailable today due to controversies over his estate. This is news to me since I am only just coming back to magic after 35 years away. Anyway, a fond memory for me is the time I managed to pop Frank's eyes with a variation on one of his own sponge-ball routines (the variation was actually taught to me by the late John Benzais). I was just a lad, and he probably was not expecting it is all. To Frank I was just one of many kids with braces, magician-wannabes in those days. But it is a fact that I consider it an honor to have in a small way, known and been known to this legend of magic. Best of luck in your research.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Kamen

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » February 22nd, 2017, 12:42 pm

Once a year Frank used to do the whole show with David Suskind on TV. You can probably find these on youtube and that way you'd really get the Frank Garcia experience. Other things to know, he had a really professional speaking voice, which helped him, but he was very good at various types of magic ! He referred to his voice as being of 'mellifluous tones'. I was lucky to have had Herb Zarrow introduce me to him...Frank was old school and didn't feel new guys should get to be 'next to' the old masters so easily. He told me that this is the way it was when he was young. I was also lucky to have known Herb Zarrow, but that is a different story. Regards, Gregg Webb

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » March 26th, 2018, 2:14 am

Guest wrote:Hello! I'm doing some research on the late Frank Garcia. I never had the opportunity to watch Mr. Garcia perform.
webbmaster wrote:Once a year Frank used to do the whole show with David Suskind on TV.

As Gregg Webb mentions, there are video clips online of Frank Garcia performing on the David Susskind show. These are from the early 1980s, and it's great to be able in this way to enjoy an hour long one-on-one performance by Mr Garcia. David Susskind is clearly blown away by his magic.

This particular appearance can be found in four parts:

Part 1: This first segment includes Frank Garcia doing one of his beautiful Triumph routines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4mwOMl0XEs

Part 2: Amongst other things, Frank does a colour changing deck effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8rLRshBHKw

Part 3: This segment focuses on gambling, with Frank doing a superb job in explaining the Three Shell hustle, and cheating in Blackjack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrJINjUMmE

Part 4: Frank does a couple of slick Ace cutting routines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikiklEtsAdc

For anyone who has never seen Frank Garcia at work, this is a fine opportunity to see one of the former greats of magic perform. Enjoy!
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Return to “General”