Order of learning moves

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Order of learning moves

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2002, 12:45 am

As a beginner of card trick, I have many questions to ask to you veterans out there.

In learning card moves, i.e. sleights and shuffles and other prerequisites, what moves were the first for you to master? As a pianist and a teacher, there are always orders on which easy pieces and exercises should be done before going onto difficult ones.

I'd like to hear your opinions on which should be done first before going on to the next sleights. Thanks.

CHRIS

Re: Order of learning moves

Postby CHRIS » November 13th, 2002, 4:11 am

Philip,

if you want to follow a well thought out and pedagogically thought through course to learn card magic I suggest you take a look at the "Card College" series from Roberto Giobbi. It is in my opinion the best and most complete set of books on cards with lots of hints, tips and theory. And this is not because I publish the electronic version which comes with 89 embedded video clips. I would recommend anything Giobbi does put out.

A general comment I like to make is that it sometimes is better if a student doesn't know which moves are considered more difficult, because it can eliminate a big psychological hurdle. I have seen beginners tackle palming much better if it is introduced very early on in their development as a card magician and not stipulated as being 'difficult'.
The moral of this is to not be afraid of 'difficult' moves. My suggestion rather is to look at what routines you would like to perform and then see what moves are necessary and then go learn these moves. It might turn out that one or the other move is too difficult for now, then move on to another routine, but it is better if you make your own experience and find out what is difficult for YOU.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2002, 4:29 am

I also agree with the Card College Series. They are the perfect course to study card magic. Chris makes a good point about not creating psychological hurdles by assuming some moves are extremely difficult. I also will point out that although some moves may seem easy (especially in comparison), they are still important to study throughly and practice often. I have witnessed several "card experts" that can perform some of the most difficult sleight of hand totally botch moves that are considered "easy" because they haven't really made the move deceptive.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 13th, 2002, 7:19 am

I'll second what Chris and Mark have said about "Card College."

when I started out in card magic, I studied "The Royal Road to Card Magic" by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, an excellent book. But I got hung up on the order in which the sleights were presented, and I wanted to learn how to do tricks which I had read in magazines -- these required sleights taught later on (if at all) in the Royal Road.

One of the great things about what Roberto Giobbi has done is to select excellent magic, and a course of study which allows for smooth progression, one which builds through the four volumes.

Try not to jump around too much. Learn to do the sleights well and they will serve you for a lifetime in magic. Practice.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2002, 7:51 am

Where are these "Card College" volumes available? I tried Amazon but they don't seem to carry them. I live in Japan and it's hard to get a hold of these books that I want and the shipping are expensive for books. I buy books online on amazon.co.jp which is located in Japan and I can get them delivered here where I live but the books like card college aren't available. Even if they are available they cost twice or three times as much because it's an import.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 13th, 2002, 8:05 am

The books should be available directly from the publisher at www.hermeticpress.com
Your only extra charge will be the postage, but surface mail is pretty cheap.
If you want to buy the books in Japan, you can probably get them at Magic Land in Tokyo, located in Kayabacho. I think the telephone number is 666 4749.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2002, 8:39 am

The books should be available directly from the publisher at www.hermeticpress.com
Your only extra charge will be the postage, but surface mail is pretty cheap.
If you want to buy the books in Japan, you can probably get them at Magic Land in Tokyo, located in Kayabacho. I think the telephone number is 666 4749.
Richard, do you know if there are any magic shops in Mie prefecture? Also I'm afraid that the books might be in Japanese. I'm not Japanese and I can't read the Kanji characters.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 13th, 2002, 8:57 am

Philip,

I would look in the yellow pages or ask around to find a local magic shop. From my two year experience in Japan I found out that many magic shops in Japan have at least a few english books as well. If they do, they might be able to order "Card College" for you.

I second Richard's recommendation with MagicLand in Tokyo. If you every happen to be in Tokyo visit them. Tom-san, Mama-san and Satoshi-san are the kindest people and very well informed and connected in everything magic.

If you prefer the ebook with embedded video clips, which will help you learn the moves quickly and correctly then visit my site at http://www.lybrary.com/ and click on the "Card College 1" link. I ship to Japan for $3.50 as many CDs as you want. You can also pick up some other good card books by direct download without any delivery charges. For example "Royal Road to Card Magic" is available for $4.00, pretty much a steal.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Return to “General”