Fave effects from Tarbell

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Fave effects from Tarbell

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2005, 2:36 pm

Hi all, What are your favourite effects from the Tarbell Course In Magic

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Fave effects from Tarbell

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 22nd, 2005, 3:30 pm

My favorite effect, because I actually made one up while I had the flu as a 10-year-old, is the version of the Rising Cards where Al Jolson appears as the "King of Clubs" in blackface at the end.
Of course, Al Jolson was never the king of "clubs" (as in nightclubs), but there you go. It does make for an attention getter, however.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » May 23rd, 2005, 5:36 am

EE-ZEE MONEY [Tarbell #7] - I understand that a professionally manufactured version of this effect, using 'metal plates', was available for purchase from one of the dealers at FISM in 2003.

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2005, 11:56 am

re: Jolson King of Clubs

I'm not sure one would want the kind of attention it would draw these days. I was just looking at v. 3, Rabbit and Dove magic, the modern rabbit production box, where he recommends producing a chicken and titling the effect "The Darkey's Dream". Thank goodness some things change even as others stay the same.

Under the category of effects I've not done, but have on the list is the Farmer and the Witch (also v. 3). I wonder if it mightn't help to pick for the witch a girl with conspicuous shoes to show at the bottom of the gown, if she and the boy could trade shoes as well. Either that, or to have the girl don a pair of, say, red overshoes onstage and then send her back with the costume mistress, etc etc.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 31st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Other than those I had published in Tarbell, Senator Crandall's SIX CARD REPEAT is the best.
Stay tooned.

Return to “General”