Tarbell Course?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Tarbell Course?

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2003, 8:58 am

I'm ne to magic, and have spent the last year transforming from a laymen, into an amatuer/hobbiest, now I want to strive for the next level. I have a lot of videos and some books, and I've made up my mind to disect everything I own and when the smoke clears hopefully I'll have a better understanding of magic.

I just bought the Tarbell course vol. 1, and I'm wondering is this a good place to start? Or is there another book out there that I should look into first?

Also what are some of the things I should get out of taking the time to study the course?

One last thing can anybody give me some pointers on how to study magic. I'm not sure exactly how to begin!

CHRIS

Re: Tarbell Course?

Postby CHRIS » January 1st, 2003, 9:25 am

There is no 'best' way of studying magic. It all depends on what you want and the time you can spend. I always suggest to do several things: read books and ebooks, watch videos but hold back a little because it is easy to get spoiled by watching too many videos, go and see good performances, join a club or meet with other like-minded people to discuss magic. And most of all practice and perform yourself.

Regarding what books, ebooks or DVDs are best depends on what you want to study - close-up with cards, mentalism, stage illusions, ...

The Tarbell Course is a very good source and covers a wide base of tricks. It will be a reference work for the rest of your magic career. BTW, it is also available as ebook if you prefer this format http://www.lybrary.com/index.html?goto= ... ourse.html

But the Tarbell Course might not be the best place to start. With books and ebooks it is important to read a few pages, perhaps a chapter to see if the style suites you. If Tarbell reads well for you then continue.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Michael Kamen

Re: Tarbell Course?

Postby Michael Kamen » January 1st, 2003, 9:55 am

May I suggest that you read and re-read the forward in each of the Tarbell volumes starting with #1. They are awesome, and you will get a great deal of insight that will help you learn how to approach your practice and performance of magic. :)
Michael Kamen

Return to “General”