Perverse Magic

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Gerald Deutsch

Re: Perverse Magic

Postby Gerald Deutsch » December 1st, 2010, 7:00 am

COINS ALMOST ACROSS

Effect

1 I was attending an attorneys conference and I arrived early, sat at the large conference table and began reading Martin Gardners The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener. Another attorney arrived and asked what I was reading and I showed him saying, Martin Gardner was a genius. He wrote for Scientific American and I had several interests in common with him, namely philosophy and magic.

2 A woman attorney then entered the room and sat at the conference table as the man asked if I was a magician and I nodded. Show me something, he said as the woman looked on amused.

3 Okay, Ill try something. Watch.

I took a quarter from my pocket in my right hand and said, Watch1 as I put the quarter from my right hand into my left and then held both fists over the table. I gestured with both hands and then opened my left to show no quarter and then my right to show the coin was there.

4 Want to see that again? Sure, said the woman attorney smiling. This time I put the quarter in my left hand and let it be seem on my palm.

I closed both hands and turned them palm down. Again I gestured and opened my left hand the coin was gone. I opened my right hand and and no coin!

5 I became confused and looked confused and then I lifted up a legal pad further down the table and there was the quarter. I shook my head. I hate when that happens!

Background

I came across some notes I had from 1999 concerning a book by a coin magician
from Norway called, I think, Stand Up Coin Power and those notes speak about
an effect called Vanishing Coins Across One coin in each hand Youre going
to do Coins Across coin vanishes from left but not in right both found in shoe.

I thought this was great Perverse Magic but I didnt think it necessary to put coins
in my shoes.

Routine

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect:

1 As soon as I mentioned magic I knew I might be asked to do something so I took a quarter from my pocket, held it on my right fingertips, put a legal pad on that, tossed the legal pad to my right and then placed the Gardner book next to it.

Natural and logical moves if youre going to have a conversation.

3 I Classic Palmed the quarter in my right hand but pretended it was at my fingertips (between my thumb and fingers) and pretended to put it in my left hand.

Using the Kaps Subtlety (which makes a hand with a coin Classic Palmed appear empty) I adjusted my watch that was on my left wrist.

4 Here, I used Slydinis Revolved Vanish and I could show both hands empty.

Good Perverse magic.

Note that in this situation I did only this and no more. It was just enough. So many
magicians, whether in a planned performance or doing impromptu magic just
dont know where to stop.

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » December 2nd, 2010, 12:47 am

I love this sort of thing. In many situations where you can turn the conversation to mention that you perform magic, almost inevitably you can also manipulate the conversation to at least make it appear that they are asking to see something. Thus, when you sense you will be in a group with this possibility, just place a quarter under something in the room well before time and before any suspicions. Worst case, you lose a quarter!

I have a sort of signature transposition effect which I have done with reporters interviewing me and I have early on when they came into the room and we were just getting set "secreted" the last item into one of their coat pockets, into their note book, etc. Since the final item is one of my business cards with some special writing on it, if I do not do the effect and they find it later no loss.

Peace...Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » January 1st, 2011, 7:27 am

2 Men Perverse Magic

I enjoy this show with Charlie Sheen and John Cryer as brothers and Angus T. Jones as Johns son and Charlies nephew. I tuned in late on an episode I hadnt seen and saw just the well epilogue but it was great Perverse Magic.

Charlie told his nephew he was going to teach him magic. Charlie took a coin in his left hand and did a not too good French Drop pretending to take the coin is his right hand and then showing the coin GONE.

Do you know where the coin went? Charlie asked his nephew.

Sure, said the nephew as he pulled the coin from Charlies ear.

Charlie looked confused. He opened his left hand and was really surprised to see no coin.

Great Perverse Magic!

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » January 1st, 2011, 7:27 am

Flying Card Rub a Dub

Flying Card (Greater Magic page 231) and Rub a Dub (Expert Card Technique page 301) are two classic effects that I like to do together as a routine. The ending is the only Perverse Magic in the routine and it comes from something I read in the Fred Braue column in the February 1948 issue of Hugards Magic Monthly.

Effect

1 The performed has each of two spectators select a card which are shuffled back in the deck.

2 The magician springs the deck and the first selected card flies out of the cards as they spring from hand to hand.

3 The magician picks up the card from the floor and rubs it on his pants leg and it changes to the second selected card.

4 The second selected card is rubbed against the pants leg again and it vanishes.

5 The magician reaches into his pocket and brings out the card saying, It doesnt really vanish it goes into my pocket.

6 The magician has a puzzled look on his face and he again reaches into his pocket and pulls out another card. He is confused. Again he reaches into his pocket and pulls out another card and then another and then a batch of cards saying, The problem with this trick is I just dont understand it..

Notes

(Numbers below correspond to numbers above)

1 The selected cards are controlled to the top.

2 This is the Flying Card from Greater Magic but as I dont like to do a side steal, I cut the deck into two packets and I slip the top card to the top of the lower packet and as I put the top packet on the lower packet I push the top card to the right sidejogging it as my left hand undercuts the lower portion to the top so that one of the selected cards is now protruding in the middle from the right

If the cards are now sprung that sidejogged card will fly out of the deck.

3 As I bend down to pick up that card, my left hand with the deck reverses the top card (the other selected card) by pushing it slightly off the deck against my left leg and moving my hand downward (See Royal Road to Card Magic page 177.)

The card picked up from the floor is shown to be the first spectators card and is put face up on the deck over the second selected card which is also face up.

The card(s) are turned face down using a double lift.

The top card the second selected card is pushed against the right pants leg face down. The spectators think this is the first selected card which just flew out of the deck. It is rubbed on the leg and then turned face up to show it has changed to the second selected card.

4 See Expert Card Technique page 301.

5 Both selected card are now on top of the deck and they think the trick is over. This now is what Fred Braue credits to Frank Shields.

I palm about a half dozen or so cards from the top and put my hand (and the palmed cards) in my right trouser pocket and produce the top card, the 2nd selected card. Then I reach in again and take out the next card, the first selected card. Then I pull out the remaining cards at once looking so confused.

The confusion at the end is Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 1st, 2011, 6:44 am

The Wizard

The sixth classification of Perverse Magic the performer explaining that something will happen but he doesnt understand why it happens (see above this thread December 1, 2005) can be used to make classic effects into Perverse Magic. I think The Wizard is such a classical effect.

This effect, described in Scarne on Card Tricks on page 42 and Greater Magic on page 566 is the one where a card is selected and shown to all including the performer who then tells of a wizard not then present who will be able to tell the card. The wizard is called and the phone handed to the spectator and the wizard then does indeed disclose the card.

As most of you undoubtedly know, when the performer calls his friend the wizard and asks for the wizard his friend immediately starts calling Ace, two, three, etc and then when he hits the selected value the performer stops him by saying Hello Wizard at which the friend starts saying Hearts, Clubs and when he says the correct suit the performer says, Just a minute, and gives the phone to the spectator who is amazed to hear the wizard name the card.

Perfect for perverse magic the magician claims no credit but speaks of his friend.

I dont like the term wizard. I like to just talk about my friend that can do amazing mental things over the phone and I have no idea of what he does or how he does it. When I call, what I would say would be:

I told my friends how you do that mind reading stuff over the phone.

He starts counting Ace Two Three

Would you mind?

He continues, Hearts

Hold on.

And I give my the spectator the phone.

Of course while I take no credit at all as I dont in any Perverse Magic my little smile lets everyone know that I really know whats going on.

(By the way, there is a version of this where the spectator can call the wizard directly without the performer speaking at all and this is very effective using a speaker phone. Some of you may know this.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 1st, 2011, 6:45 am

Coins in Lucite Cube

Perverse Magic is magic that happens by itself not something the magician does. Ive always thought in those terms and always look for an opportunity do create a bit of Perverse Magic.

I remember once I was sitting in a clients office at a meeting with several people and on the clients desk there was one of those Lucite cubes with a bunch of dimes inside the cube.

I had an idea. I quietly classic palmed three dimes in my right hand and then, while the meeting continued, I picked up the cube and toyed with it and then put it in my right hand (which had the three dimes palmed).

Suddenly, I stopped talking and looked at the cube and then suddenly I slapped the cube with my left hand letting the three palmed dimes fall to my clients desk.

I shyly put the cube back on his desk, gathered the three dimes and put them on tip of the cube and apologized.

Everyone laughed and it was a good break to the meeting.

(In such a case its important to know when to or not to do magic. Here, the meeting was becoming a bit argumentative about a minor point and this was the perfect time for this.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 1st, 2011, 7:10 am

Bubbles

I volunteer every other Tuesday at a childrens hospital. I spend an hour, a few minutes in the playroom and then for the rest of the time I, together with a senior member of the Child Life division visit the bedsides of those who the staff thinks might enjoy magic.

I carry little a deck of cards, my squeaker and the coins I carry in my pocket. What I do depends on is (i) the age of the child, (ii) whether more than one child or the parents are in the room and (iii) other conditions, including whether the child looks like he wants to see magic.

Well, last week, I entered a room and was introduced to a child who had a jar of liquid in one hand and a stick with a ring on its end in the other and he was blowing bubbles.

I put my right hand in my pocket and Classic Palmed a quarter.

Do that again, I said. The boy smiled and blew another bubble. I stared at the bubble fascinated.

Again, I said. He did.

I reached into the bubble with my right hand (that had the quarter palmed) and got nothing (which made it look that my hand was empty. I love the Classic Palm.)

One more time, He did and I again reached in and grabbed the quarter.

I looked surprised as I examined the quarter which I gave to the boy.

Great Perverse Magic!

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 1st, 2011, 7:11 am

Instant Change

Effect

Whats your favorite card? the magician asks a spectator.

The AH, says the spectator.

The magician removes all the aces and turns them face down on table and moves them around and asks the spectator to move them and he, the magician, will find the AH.

The spectator does move the cards thoroughly and the magician turns over a card and its an 8 not an ace. The magician is confused. He turns over the other three cards and they are not aces but 8s.

He looks thru the deck for the aces but theyre not there.

Finally he finds them in his pocket and he is as surprised as the audience.

Background

This is from the Frank Garcia book Super Subtle Card Miracles but:

1 I think if you ask a spectator for his favorite card he is likely to say an ace. I like to use the confusion between ace and eight

2 This is presented as Perverse Magic

3 Im confused by Garcias switch as its not clear how he gets a break under the aces to effect the eight card turnover. Here Im suggesting a switch as the deck, and then the cards are turned over.

Method

The four 8s are on the bottom of the deck. After you remove the four named cards
you get a break over the last 8 (the deck is face up).

The aces are put face up on the bottom of the deck over the four eights. Using the
break, the eight cards are held with the right fingers at the outer end and the
thumb at the inner end.

The left thumb then goes under the deck and kicks it face down the eight cards
(which the spectators believe to be only the four aces) are face up held in the right
hand as noted.

The eight cards are flipped face down on the now face down deck but a break is
maintained.

The top four cards the eights which the audience believes are aces are dealt to
the table face down and the spectator is told to mix them on the table. While he
does this the magician tilts the deck letting the aces fall to his lap.

When an eight rather than an ace is shown, you are confused you look through the
deck openly no aces.

You reach into your left pocket your right hand going to your lap to palm the aces
nothing in the left pocket.

You stand look in your right pocket and produce, first one than another and then
the other two and you are thoroughly confused.

Notes

1 If by chance the spectator names 8 as his favorite card I would do the following:

A Turn the deck face down.

B Get a break over the four 8s on the bottom.

C With the left hand, swivel the four 8s clockwise and grip them between the right thumb at the inner end and the right little finger at the outer end.

D Press with the little finger and the four cards will fly backwards as the right thumb lets them go.

E Look surprised and confused.

2 This is written for a seated magician. If done standing then instead of lapping the aces, palm them in the right hand.

Then put the deck on the table and put BOTH hands in your pockets.

Remove both hands leaving the aces and the deck is spread face up on the table and you quickly look through, confused, and then go into your pocket and pull out two aces, leaving two.

Reach into your left pocket with your left hand and find nothing and look confused.

Again, go into your right pocket and pull out one more.

Go back to your right pocket, press the last ace against your leg and slide your right hand against your leg and your hip, pressing the last ace, and put your hand and the ace into your rear pocket and pull out the last ace.

You look thoroughly confused.

Good Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » April 1st, 2011, 12:12 am

Coins Almost Across 2nd Version

I published a Coins Almost Across on this thread back in December of 2010 and since then Ive come up with this more elaborate routine. Its playful with a Perverse Magic ending.

Effect

1 Dinner was over and the check was paid and then his wifes friend asked him if he would do a trick.

Okay. Do you or your husband have two pennies?

His wifes friend reaches into her purse and pulls out a handful of change and gives the magician two pennies. The magician puts one penny on each of his two palms and turns his hands face down on the table.

Okay watch. Ill make each of the two pennies travel to the other hand and change places. Watch!

He lifts his hands and it looks like nothing happened.

Everyone smiles and shakes their head.

2 Why are you laughing? Thats hard. Ill do an easier one. Ill just make one coin go. Watch.

Again the magician puts one penny on each palm and again turns his hands face down on the table. This time when he lifts his left hand theres no penny and when he lifts his right hand both pennies are there.

Yeah well, thats easier than making both pennies travel. Ill do it again.

3 He picks up one penny with his right hand and puts it in his left and closes his left hand into a fist with the fingers above. He then picks up the other penny in his right hand, holds that in a fist also with the fingers above.

Watch. He gestures, opens his left fist nothing opens his right fist two pennies.

4 One more time he says and everyone is now watching very closely. He picks up a penny with his right hand and puts it in his left and closes his left hand into a fist with the fingers above. He shows his right hand clearly empty as he then picks up the other penny in his right hand, holds that in a fist also with the fingers above.

Again he gestures and opens his left hand, pleased, no penny but when he opens his right hand theres only one penny.

I hate when that happens! he says as he pulls back his left sleeve and shows the penny under his watch band.

Discussion

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect

1 Just two things to point out here, (i) the importance to only doing magic at the appropriate time (here, being asked) if you are not being paid to perform and (ii) when the two pennies are shown to be in the same place you have to quickly go into step 2 so you dont lose the interest of the spectators.

2 When I was a child I learned this from, I think Zovello who was Bonomos Magic Clown on TV. Its great.

A penny is on each palm and as the hands are both turned face down the penny in the left hand is well tossed over so it joins the penny in the right hand. Surprisingly its not seen. It does take practice and you have to overcome the tendency to have the left hand move to the right during the toss.

(I sometimes do this on my thighs and after the toss I spread my legs to make it seem more magical as the distance is further before I show the coins.)

3 I change the method here. I pick up the penny with my right hand and classic palm it but pretend it is at my fingertips (I believe it was Al Schneider who suggested this) and then pretend to place the coin in my left hand.

With the penny classic palmed the right hand appears empty as it picks up the other penny.

4 Here I do what I call the Reverse Revolve Vanish. Slydinis ingenious Revolve Vanish is a wonderful sleight and I use it often. I wont explain it here as it is in Slydini Encores (page 31) and The Best Of Slydini And More (page 41) but I will say that it involves lapping a coin that is on the left palm as the hand (i) closes, (ii) turns over, and (iii) moves in from the table edge.

What I call the Reverse Revolve Vanish I do with my right hand the exact same moves as done with my left hand when I do the Revolve Vanish but I continue moving my tight hand and pretend to place the coin in my left hand far from the table edge which is a factor that dispels thoughts of lapping that a spectator may have.

Of course my penny is placed BEHIND the face of my watch three quarters of it under the watch and one quarter visible before I start. Note that I have a shinny penny in my shirt pocket just in case the pennies I borrow are only shiny ones and if that happens I produce the coin from my shirt pocket and not the one from my watch.

The idea of finding the penny behind my watch came to me from the Mark Sicher (a good friend who died much too soon) and Steve Cohen effect in the April 1990 issue of Apocalypse. (See this thread above October 2005.)

Theres a bit of psychology in this part in two ways. First, having the penny under the watch (or in my shirt pocket) is a place that the spectators can assume I reached during the trick and I get credit for something I couldnt do. (This can lead to a discussion of the too perfect theory which I dont want to get into here) and second, returning this penny to the spectator from whom youve borrowed the penny (thats now on your lap) helps convince her (or him) that its the penny that was lent to you .

Note the Perverse Magic in this routine happens only at the end and thats fine.
As Ive said, the entire act need not be Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 1st, 2011, 6:48 am

Perverse Card Stab

Effect

Ladies and gentlemen, Im now going to perform a modern version of the famous Card Stabbing Effect. Would you mind selecting a card. Good. Now please place in back in the deck. Good. Now well shuffle the deck and put the deck back into the card case.

Now for years magicians have been able to find a selected card by stabbing a knife into the deck and having the knife go right next to the selected card. A knife like this. But Im going to do this trick, not with a knife but with this a razor blade.

The magician pulls a knife and then a razor blade from his pocket and inserts them razor blade into the card case with the deck. He then shakes the deck.

Now Im going to make the razor blade position itself right next to your card. Okay, now watch!

The magician opens the card case and when he tries to pull out the cards they are all in little pieces.

Oh damn!

Discussion

Scotty York published Yorks Surprise Stab in the February 1973 issue of Kaballa John Bannon has a version in his book Smoke and Mirrors. My friend Rene Clement has done this for years and I loved the reaction Rene got.

In my version here there is no successful finding of the selected card and the effect ends with the mutilation of the deck. This is an example of the second class of Perverse Magic the performer says one thing will happen (the razor will be next to the selected card) and something else does (the deck is mutilated) and the result is stronger than what is expected (the audience knows that the razor could not have done that damage to the deck).

Method

Of course there is a deck switch, switching the regular deck with the selected card lost (and it really can be lost for this effect) for the deck with the mutilated deck of pieces.

The deck to be switched is in the performers left jacket pocket and as the performer pulls out the knife from his right hand jacket pocket both hands go into both jacket pockets, the right hand comes out FIRST with the knife and then the left with the other deck and then with the razor blade. (see this thread above September 1, 2006 Perverse Cassette).

Notes

1 I like to let some time elapse from the deck switch to the use of the switched in deck and so, after making the switch, I patter about using a knife for the stab and then, with the switched in deck now lying on the table, I reach into my right hand pocket for the razor blade.

2 I recently performed a similar effect for a bunch of magicians where I try to find a selected card but instead something else happens to the deck and I never find the card. I was greeted by silence and then everyone said I had to produce the card. I disagreed and said thats not necessary for Perverse Magic. Another magician, Ben Lichtenstein thought that if this was the ONLY effect performed the magicians are correct but if this is just one of several with a Perverse Magic theme then it would be okay not to produce the selected card.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 1st, 2011, 6:49 am

WHICH IS THE BEST COIN TO USE?

Effect

So what did you do at the magic group today Jerry

Jerry and Sam and their wives were having dinner on a Saturday night.

Well Sam, the magicians were discussing what size coin is best to use for a trick. Here, Ill show you.

Jerry reaches into his pocket with his left hand and pulls out a bunch of coins. With his right hand he takes a quarter from the batch. He closes his left hand into a fist and puts the quarter on the back of his hand which now rests on the table.

See? It seems like a quarter is the best coin. Now if I cover the quarter with my right hand and say, Abracadabra! the quarter vanis---

He lifts his right hand and the quarter is still there. Hes confused. He takes the quarter from the back of his left hand.

Lets try another -----

He opens his left hand to get another coin but to his and everyone elses amazement there are no coins in his hand they have all vanished!

Discussion

My friend Lenny Greenfader (who is greatly missed. He had such an incredible sense of humor) published Observation Test in Harry Loraynes Apocalypse (February 1979 Volume 2 No. 2 Page 161) but I am using a different presentation, one that is clearly Perverse Magic. And I use a different vanish.

As Lenny explains, three coins are glued (or as Lenny says in Apocalypse taped together Lenny made me a set with a nickel and a penny glued to a quarter).

I keep that gimmick in my pocket with only a single loose quarter.

When I bring out the coins, the loose quarter moves, giving the impression that all the coins are loose.

As I take the loose quarter with my right hand, my left hand closes and I perform Slydinis Revolve Vanish, letting the glued gimmick fall to my lap.

(I should point out that you really dont need a gimmick you can use loose coins as in a restaurant no one will hear the slight noise of the coins hitting each other as they are lapped. The major advantage of the gimmick is the ease of retrieving it rather than having to retrieve three coins.)

Good Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2011, 3:12 am

MATCH PREDICTION

Effect

Is that a Bicycle deck? Oh I just learned something about them, says the magician as he picks up the deck and looks at it.

Mmmm. I think this deck works with the four of clubs. He looks through the deck and finds the four of clubs and gives it to the young woman watching him.

He starts to give the deck a series of cuts and tells the woman to say stop anytime. When she does he asks her if shes sure or if she wants him to go further. She smiles at him and says shes sure.

The young magician extends half of the deck to the young woman. Put the four of clubs face up here. She does and he drops the other half on top.

I really dont understand how this works and most people dont even know this works but look. He spreads the deck until he comes to the face up four of clubs and pulls it and the face down card above it out and, shaking his head with confusion, shows the face down card is the four of spades.

Its only with Bicycle decks and only with the four of clubs. He puts the deck down.

Discussion

1 The method is simple. When you pick up the deck you glimpse the top card and pull out the mate and give it to the spectator. Then you cut the top card to the bottom and perform the Hindu Shuffle and when told to stop you have the card the spectator is holding put face up on the part of the deck in your left hand and you drop the right hand half on that bringing the mate over the face up card. So simple.

2 I dont know where this came from or how much of it is mine. Since I was very young I started keeping an index card for any effect I like. (I wrote about this before and if anyone is interested I can explain more about it.) Anyway, for this effect the card says see write up 9/9/01 In my book of write ups there is an E mail to a magic buddy (Sol Stone) where I discuss a Lee Asher tape and in discussing one item I come up with this. I have no recollection of what was on the Asher tape (or what tape it was) to inspire this. (I always try to give credit where I can.)

3 I remain committed to the philosophy that magic should entertain. Much magic does not. Much magic goes on too long.

I understand that when a magician is being paid and is told that he must perform for ____ minutes he has no choice but so many magicians do magic when they are not being paid and dont know when to stop.

The result is that when they are done the spectators wont be able to remember what they saw. It will be a jumbled mess.

As presented here, its one effect done when the magician spots a deck of cards and when hes done he puts the deck down.

Of course if the audience wants him to do more he can if he believes it wont take away from what he did.

This would fall into the sixth category of Perverse Magic see this thread December
1, 2005 - the performer explains something that will happen but doesnt understand
why it happens.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2011, 3:13 am

Goldfish Snack

Effect

The three couples were at the magicians home deciding where to go for dinner. The magician and one of his friends wanted to have Chinese food but his wife and the others all wanted sea food.

If you want sea food we can stay here, says the magician as he reaches into his fish tank and grabs a goldfish which he pops into his mouth. Mmmm. These are great!
Ughhh! says the others and then, knowing who their host is they all start to laugh.

Discussion

This is Matt Schuliens effect as set forth on page 67 of The Magic of Matt Schulien. Mac King now uses this in his act.

In my old house we had a back yard with a pond that had goldfish and when company was expected I would put a cleaned and pealed baby carrot in my pocket and when the time came to perform I would get the carrot in thumb palm position in my right hand.

I would then plunge my right hand into the pond and when it came out the carrot would be between my thumb and fingers. As my hand would be moving to my mouth, all the spectators will see is something that looks like a goldfish.

The chewing of the carrot sounds like the crunching of fish bones.

As Ive done this mostly for people that know me Ive not as yet been labeled a nut.

This is an example of the fifth category of Perverse Magic the performer and the audience are on different planes. To the performer, eating goldfish out of a goldfish bowl is perfectly normal.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 1st, 2011, 5:48 am

The Missing Card Was In MY Pocket

Background

This is one of my favorite effects which I do when I only want to do one effect.

The basis is Lenny Greeenfaders Card to Wallet which appears in Harry Loraynes Reputation Makers and The Classic Collection Volume 2 and its another gem from the great stuff Harrys published.

Lenny Greenfader and I have been friends for many years and I know he wouldnt have any objection to my handling and presentation of this great effect as Perverse Magic.

I do this ALWAYS with a borrowed deck.

Effect

1 Ill show you a great trick, says the magician. With your deck. Shuffle it. The spectator does.

2 Good. Now cut the deck into four piles. Good. Now pick up any pile and spread the cards in front of you as if you were playing cards. Now just THINK of any card.

Do you have one? Now please dont forget it because youre the only person in the world that knows that card. Good.

3 Now Im not going to ask you any questions at all but I want you to remember the position of the card you are thinking of in this packet. This top one is one, this one is two. Okay?

The magician deals the packet of cards face up one by one on the table.

4 Okay, lets assemble all the packets like this. Now let me see, The magician runs through the deck looking at the faces and then divides the deck into two packets and gives one to the spectator.

5 Okay, now, what NUMBER was it? the magician then deals that number of cards face down on the table and when hes done he tells the spectator to do the same. He does.

6 Now, for the first time, what was the name of the card you were thinking of? The spectator names the card. Good, now in which pile do you want your card? the spectator points to a pile and the magician turns over the top card. Its not the card. The magician is confused. He turns over the top card of the other pile not the card.

Darn, I hate when this happens. That card is not in the deck. He spreads the deck. This always happens at the wrong time. Son of a The card is in my pocket!

With his hand obviously empty he reaches into his pocket and pulls out the thought of card still shaking his head in frustration.

Method

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under EFFECT

1 Again a borrowed deck.

2 The reason I have the deck cut into four piles is (i) to make it simpler for the spectator to remember the number of the thought of cards position in step 3 and (ii) to avoid a lengthy and boring time while dealing a large number of cards in stops 3 and 5 and 6.

And its important the emphasize two things. One, that the spectator is merely THINKING of a card and second that she must not forget the card.

3 You deal very slowly so that the spectator gets the position correctly. If she doesnt theres no out for this.

You remember the top card.

4 When you go through the deck (i) you look for your remembered card, (ii) cut the deck so it is SECOND from the top and (ii) give the spectator the bottom half of the deck.

5 The thought of card will be the top card of the packet in your hand.

While the spectator is dealing you (i) palm that card, (ii) put the packet you are holding on the table and, (iii) put BOTH hands in your pockets (leaving the palmed thought of card.)

The misdirection is perfect. And standing with both hands in your pockets is a natural thing to do while the spectator is dealing.

As soon as the spectator is done BOTH hands come out of my pockets.

6 Once again I must emphasize that when it looks like youve missed the spectators will lose interest and YOU CANT LET THAT HAPPEN!

Thats why I say something that will indicate that I didnt miss but something happened (Darn, I hate when this happens. That card is not in the deck.). I spread the deck face up to show the card isnt there but it would be boring and slow things down if I had everyone look through the entire deck so I quickly say, This always happens at the wrong time. Son of a The card is in my pocket!

(See this thread above December 1, 2006 regarding a discussion of patter for Perverse Magic.)

And when I say this I make it clear that my hands are empty.

Great Perverse Magic

A1exM

Postby A1exM » July 1st, 2011, 11:05 am

Re. MATCH PREDICTION

Thanks Gerald,

I really like that effect and presentation, simple and direct magic.
I used to do a similar effect to this but I'd have the spectator cut and complete it a few times behind their back. Taking cards out of my hands and into there own seemed to add to the impossibility.

A version I do now is to talk about things always come in threes, third time lucky etc. and that I don't understand how it works. Use two spectators, each selects a card, which are controlled to the bottom. I use a spread cull so the cards are not actually removed.

Overhand shuffle retaining the bottom card and controlling the 2nd from bottom to the top. Selections now on top and bottom.

Spread the cards face down and have someone touch any card, outjog this and turn it face up using Bill Simon's Business Card Move. (Ref. Effective Card Magic).

Push it flush then have each spectator cut and complete the cut three times behind their back whilst they concentrate on the card they are "Thinking" of.

Spread the deck and reveal the two cards on either side of the face-up card.

Note; If the first selection is made by the person on your left at the start then their card will be to the left of the face-up card at the end. (Assuming you are spreading from left to right).

Alex

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 1st, 2011, 5:22 am

MATCHED FINDERS

The plot of this is similar to The Magic Card posted on this thread November 1, 2009 but its a simpler effect.

Effect

Like The Magic Card presentation, the magician explains that he just got a new trick but is not sure about how it works but hell try it.

A card is selected and shuffled back into the deck.

The magician brings out two stranger cards cards from another deck with a completely different back design and doesnt show the faces and has them shuffled into the deck to find the selected card.

When the deck is spread the stranger cards are together with one card between them which the magician shows is the selected card.

Yeah, but what I dont understand is this and the magician shows that the stranger cards are the same value as the selected card but with suits of the opposite color so that if the selected card is the 9D the stranger cards would be the 9C and 9S

Discussion

Bob Elliot and I were good friends and one day Bob showed me a tick using gimmicked cards and being the generous person he was, Bob give me a set. I played with it and based on my effect Jinx Mate (Apocalypse June 1993 page 2224 Ill post it on this thread soon) I came up with this using non gimmicked stranger cards.

Of course the card is forced and I would suggest a Classic Force here (and if you miss just do a different effect) but control the card to the top.

Show the two stranger cards and put them in your breast pocket but with the backs visible.

Hand a stranger card to a spectator and invite her to insert it into the deck.

Spread the deck and show the stranger card and get a break under it.

Cut halfway to the break and drop the cut portion to the table (or if doing walk around to a spectators hand) and then cut to the break on drop that portion on the first cut portion and finally the put the balance of the deck on top. The stranger card is over the selected card.

Spread the deck showing the stranger card and get a break under the card below it the selected card.

Cut the selected card to the bottom.

Do a Hindu Shuffle and have the spectator call stop and when she does take the other of the stranger cards and put it face down on the packet in your left hand and drop the right hand packet on top.

The selected card is between the two stranger cards.

(The reason for keeping the stranger cards in the breast pocket is to reduce the chance of a spectator turning one face up which would ruin the ending.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 1st, 2011, 5:23 am

Heads Down

Effect

Her: Mmmm. That dessert was delicious. Im glad your sister introduced us. Elaine tells me that magic is your hobby.

Him: Yes. Its a good hobby. Lot of nice people have that as a hobby and magicians come from all races and all economic groups.

Her: Can you show me something?

Him: Sure. I just read this in a new book. Do you have a dollar bill?

Her: Sure. Here.

Him: Thanks. Now, lets see. If I remember this you fold the bill like this and hold out your hand. Good. Now the idea is Im going to press on your hand and make the bill go right through your hand and the table and into my hand below.

He makes a confused face and brings out his hand from under the table and in it is
the head of George Washington as it appears on a bill.

Him: I dont understand. Open your hand.

She does and opens the bill and both are surprised when there is a hole in the bill
where George Washingtons picture would be.

Him: Shaking his head, confused, I guess I didnt read the trick right.

Her: (laughing) I love it! I cant wait to see more of your tricks.

Explanation

I contributed this to Joshua Jays column in the May 2003 issue of Magic The
Magazine for Magicians and I referred to it in this thread (see above April 2006)
but some readers of this forum that dont have that issue of Magic have asked me to
explain it here so here it is.

As Ive said before, most of my magic is done at a lunch or dinner meeting with
clients and this type of magic can be done at social dinners as Im showing here.
And, having studied with Slydini for years I have learned to adopt his methods to
my personality

Preparation

On left leg is head of George Washington cut out from a bill. On right leg
is the bill with George Washington's head cut out, folded in thirds.

Performance

1 I borrow a one dollar bill and fold it into thirds (like the one on
right leg) and put it on my open left hand which is near the table edge.

2 The switch is one that Slydini taught me using what he calls "timing".

I ask the spectator to hold out her hand as I gesture with my right
hand.

I lean back and let my right hand fall to my right leg - onto the
folded bill which I grip between my thumb and palm.

I bring my right hand (with the bill thumb palmed) to my left hand
as if to take the spectator's bill but, instead, I show the prepared bill.

The left hand turns palm down as it relaxes and the spectator's
bill falls into my lap.

3 The prepared bill is put into the spectator's hand, the spectator's
fingers are closed on the bill and gently pushed to the table top as my
right hand covers the spectator's hand.

My left hand goes under the table and picks up the head from my left leg as I tell the spectator I'm going to make the bill pass through the table.

4 My left hand comes up with the Washington head - I look surprised, lift my right hand from the spectators hand and ask the spectator to open her hand and I take the bill and open it to show the head missing. I shake my head in confusion.

This is a good example of the second category of Perverse Magic the performer says one thing will happen and something else does.

A1exM

Postby A1exM » August 1st, 2011, 7:09 am

Wonderful! Many thanks for posting this Gerald.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 1st, 2011, 5:28 am

Perverse Magic When Caught

I was doing this effect at a hospital for kids which I use to end a routine: (It is posted on this thread way at the beginning on December 21, 2002)

2 Ambitious Card

I have a card selected and say it will come to the top and it's not there - another card (say 4C) is there. I bury the 4C and try again but again the 4C is there. I spell the selected card but at the end it's the 4C. Finally I say I'll do the trick with the 4C and say it will go to my pocket but when I reach into my pocket it's the selected card. I'm surprised and frustrated.

Of course the selected card is controlled to the top and palmed off and then when I give the deck for shuffling I put BOTH hands in my trouser pockets leaving the selected card.

What I didnt know was that one of the children saw me put the selected card (say the KD) into my pocket. And as I tried to find the KD I kept getting lets say the 4C.

Well, before I got to the point where I would say that I would use the 4C and make it go to my pocket, the child said, its in your pocket!

I looked confused, looked at my pocket, looked at the child and then, very slowly with a clearly empty hand, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the KD, clearly not understanding how it got there. How did you do that? I asked the child and everyone, including that child laughed.

The effect was as good if not better than it would have been had it gone the way it was planned.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 1st, 2011, 5:35 am

The Selected Card In The Mouth My Presentation of Slydinis Helicopter Card

The production of a selected card from the mouth has been written up before. (See Greater Magic page 308, The June 1975 issue of The Linking Ring in the Rick Johnsson column and my version in the January 1984 Warren Kaps issue of
M-U-M).

Slydinis Helicopter Card can be found on page 75 of The Best of Slydini And More

Effect

1 A card is selected, signed and shuffled back into the pack.

2 The deck is given to a spectator to shuffle and then spread the deck on the table face down.

I explain that I, as a great magician will find the selected marked card.

3 I confidentially turn over a card. Wrong. I try again. Wrong! I try to day something but have trouble speaking. A card appears in my mouth.

I reach to take the card with a clearly empty hand and sure enough it is the selected marked card.

I am very confused!

Method.

The numbers below correspond with the numbers under effect

1 This is one of the few times that I think its important to have the card signed. Normally I feel that having a card signed tends to slow things up.

2 The card is lapped after it is replaced.

There are two methods I use:

A Johnny Benzais (See The Best of Benzais page 53)

The card is brought to the top of the deck and the deck is given
a riffle shuffle (not a table riffle shuffle but one done with the cards held in both hands) keeping the selected card on the top. Then, as the deck is assembled it is held vertically on the table (the top of the deck facing the performer) and as the two halves of the deck are pushed together the top card the selected card, is thumbed down and falls into the lap.

B Harry Lorayne (Reputation Makers page 42 or The Classic Collection Volume 2)

The deck is split where the card is selected and then the selected card is replaced on the half in the left hand. Then, as the hands come together to assemble the deck and move to the body, the top card of the lower packet is let to fly back to the lap.

The deck is placed on the table face down and then, as I explain what
is to happen that is the spectator is to shuffle the deck and spread it
face down on the table and I will find the card, I drop both hands to
my lap and I fold the card that is on my lap into eighths (3 folds) and
it is then held between my right thumb and first finger.

Then, while the spectator is spreading the cards I have both hands with my elbows on the table and the folded card is then held between the thumbs of both hands and the fingers are interlaced and my chin rests on the two thumbs.

Then, while I watch the spectator, I lower my head and open my mouth and the card goes right inside.

3 Finally, I believe the card should be folded FACE OUT so that as soon as the card is taken from the mouth it can be seen to be the selected card.

Some question whether taking a card from the mouth is in good taste.

If done right it can be. But it isnt always done right. I heard about a famous magician that produced the card from his mouth very dramatically and then, with a flourish, he snapped the card on the back and a piece of his saliva went into the spectators face.

The Card in The Mouth can be done tastefully and, as shown here, can be good Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 1st, 2011, 6:27 am

Be Honest What Is It?

Effect

1 How do you learn these tricks? asked a woman of the walk around magician at the party.

Well, says the magician, I read some in books. As matter of fact, I just read about a new way to change a card. Let me show you.

2 The magician pulls out a 4C and 7H. He tells the spectator to hold the 4C face down at the edge between her thumb on top and fingers on the bottom. He then shows the 7H in his hand and quickly moves it on top of the 4C taking that card and leaving the 7H.

3 Did you feel the change? he asks the girl and, of course she did and the magician shows the 4C in his hand.

4 Let me try again, he says and does the motion again but leaves both cards between the spectators fingers. The magician looks confused.

5 Wait a minute, he says. Now Im mixed up. Do you know which one is the
4C?

The spectator guesses the top card. Mmmm - Lets check, says the magician.

The girl turns over both cards and she and the magician are both surprised to see they are the two black aces!

I dont understand this! says the magician, looking confused.

Comment

This effect is Be Honest What Is it? that is published in Magician Nitely, The Magic of Eddie Fechter by Jerry Mentzer.

Preparation

4C on top of the deck followed by the two black aces and under that the 7H

(It is important that the ending cards here the two black aces match and are a contrast to the other cards here the 4C and 7H. Ive seen a professional magician use two indifferent cards and the effect was lost on the audience.)

Method

(The numbers below correspond with the numbers under Effect)

2 The 4C is given to the spectator to hold as indicated and a triple lift is done to show the 7H.

The cards are turned face down and it is one of the black aces that is switched for the 4C.

3 As you ask the question you perform a top change exchanging the 4C for the other black ace.

I use Slydinis timing principle. The right hand with the card to be changed moves up and forward a shoot action as you ask, Did you feel the change?

Then the right hand rests as it falls next to the left hand and the Top Change is done.

After I make the change, I move my left hand which holds the deck, under the spectators hand and push it up a bit. A good cover for the change.

(Note I never saw Slydini do a Top Change I dont think he used this move but his timing principle is perfect for this move.)

Good Perverse Magic the magician is confused and the spectator is amazed but
more important entertained.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 1st, 2011, 6:27 am

Perverse Sugar - 1

Effect

1 My wife and I were finishing dinner with my friend and his wife.

Well, it was a great dinner but you didnt even do one trick, my friends wife said. My wife just smiled, knowing I would do something.

Well, I did learn a new trick last week but I really should practice more. Its called the vanishing sugar. Watch.

I took a white sugar packet, tore it open and poured the sugar into my left hand. I gestured over my left hand with my right hand and when I opened my left hand, sure enough, the poured sugar wasnt there but in its place was a sugar cube!

Puzzled, I took the sugar cube from my left hand and put it on the table, confused.

I knew I should have practiced more. Let me, try to vanish this.

2 I put both hands over the cube and blow on my hands and when I lift my hands there is now a blue packet of Equal (or a yellow packet of Splenda).

I dont understand this. Lets get the check.

Notes and Background

Ive always liked impromptu magic that can be done at casual settings like at dinner. Of course many of such effects have to do with lapping. And, as Ive been a student and a friend of Slydini for many years, Ive learned much from him.

This effect came from Slydinis Sweet Salt which appears in Slydini Encores which Slydini and I were discussing one evening while he and I were having dinner. I told him I liked the effect but didnt see myself carrying around the small tube. Slydini thought a moment and came up with a totally impromptu version which appears in The Magical World of Slydini with the title Sugar Express. That effect has the sugar vanish from Slydinis fist and appear back in the packet from which it came.

One thing about lapping in some cases I can do it even with someone sitting right next to me with the proper misdirection but not so when trying to recover an object. Often when I do these effects, my wife Linda is sitting next to me and shes learned not to look down at my lap at the wrong time.

Preparation

An unwrapped sugar cube is on my right thigh and a packet of Equal or Splenda in front of it.

The sugar cube will probably have to be brought from home. The packet might be on the table but it might be better to bring that too.

Method

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect:

1 The sugar packet is torn open and the sugar is poured into my left hand.

The right hand places empty packet on the table and drops onto the sugar cube as the left hand is closed and the Revolve Vanish is performed.

The fingers of the right hand rub the back of the left hand and as the left hand turns counter clockwise the sugar cube is let to drop into the left fist. (LHomme Masques Load)

2 When the cube is shown it is put on the table by the left hand as the right hand drops to the right thigh and thumb palms the Equal or Splenda

As I explained in Perverse Salt Shaker (see this thread above February 2009) I then perform the move from Rick Johnssons Practical Impossibilities. My left hand covers my right (with the thumb palmed packet) and both cover the sugar cube. My right third finger kicks the cube to my lap and drops the packet.

An impromptu Perverse Magic routine. Sort of.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2011, 7:40 am

CONFUSING MIND READING

Effect

1 I just learned a new way to read your mind, says the magician. Here, touch a card. The spectator does.

The magician shows the touched card to the spectator and then cuts it back into the deck. The 7H! right?

Uh no, says the spectator.

The magician looks confused, shakes his head. Lets try a different trick.

2 The magician turns over the top card and shows the 4H, then turns it face down and puts it in his pocket.

He turns over the next card and shows the QC and deals it face down onto the spectators hand

Watch, he says and turns over the card on the spectators hand and its now the 4H.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the card he originally put on the spectators hand, the QC. The cards have changed places.

3 But I dont understand why I couldnt read your mind before. Here take the deck and hold it up to your head. Good. Lets see the 5D! Right?

Sadly the spectator shakes her head.

The magician shakes his head. What card were you thinking of?

The AS, says the spectator.

The magician starts looking in his pockets. Let me find the instructions, he says and then, reaching into his right trouser pocket hes surprised to find a card and its its the AS!

He gives the card to the spectator holding the deck looking very confused.

Discussion

Many transposition effects require either three double lifts or a duplicate card though I contributed such an effect with two double lifts and a top change to Harry Loraynes Apocalypse (March 1994 page 2333) called Something Strange.

Back in 1986, my friend Bob Hyans came up with a method using two double lifts and his pocket but at the end a card was left in his pocket. I suggested the above to get rid of that extra card.

Preparation

When doing a transposition effect I like to have contrasts in the cards and, when there will be a time lag from the selection of the card to its production I want to be sure that the card isnt forgotten and so before the effect starts I like to arrange the top three cards as follows: AS, a red spot card, say 4H and a black picture card, say QC.

Method

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect.

1 The AS is forced using the Classic Force and just touched as theres no reason to have it removed from the deck but it should be shown to all to avoid the one spectator from ruining the effect if she forgets the card.

I use the AS here so that there can be no confusion about what card was seen when the magician later names the wrong cards.

The card stays in place and is cut to the top.

2 A double lift and the card that goes into my pocket is the AS the forced card.

Another double lift and then, as the card on the spectators hand is turned over, the top card is palmed and produced from your pocket.

The cards have transposed.

3 Just good Perverse Magic acting here.

Note that I ask, What card were you thinking of? and not What card did
you select?

Perverse Magic seems to fit this effect very well. And you are clean at the end.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2011, 7:41 am

Cigarettes

Effect

1 My wife and I were having dinner at a clients home with the client and his wife.

At the start of the meal, my clients wife took out a cigarette and lighted it. I asked her if I could have one and, since so few people smoke today she was surprised as she offered me a cigarette.

I took the cigarette and pushed it into my nose and sniffed as if I had taken cocaine. Ahhh, thats good1 I said.

2 At the end of the meal she took another cigarette and I mentioned that I read that they use salt to keep cigarettes together and I again asked her for a cigarette.

I broke the cigarette into three pieces and sprinkled salt on the pieces and then, as I pushed the pieces through my hand, the cigarettes was restored. I guess they were right. I just dont understand it.

Discussion

Cigarettes are rare in restaurants today but here my clients wife was at home and
felt entitled to smoke.

Number one above is an example of the fifth category of Perverse Magic the
performer and the audience are on different planes. The magician thinks its
perfectly natural to just shove a cigarette up his nose for a pleasant feeling.

Number two is an example of the sixth classification of Perverse Magic the
Performer explains something will happen but he doesnt explain why it happens.

I mentioned what I call the various categories of Perverse Magic in this thread
above several times with examples (see December 17, 2002 and December 1, 2005
under David Roths Legendary Four Coin Trick) but to summarize again:

1 Something happens without performers knowledge.
2 Performer says one thing will happen something else does
3 Performer says hes going to do something it happens by itself
4 Performer is caught he admits it then he and the audience are surprised.
5 Performer and audience are on different planes
6 Performer explains something that will happen but he doesnt understand why it happens. Or in the alternative something goes wrong and the performer looks in a book and then does something meaningless and it happens.

Of course the second effect the restoration of the cigarette - requires a duplicate
cigarette but the first effect supplies that and the audience wont remember that
you have another cigarette. (Time Misdirection)

Now the numbers below refer to the numbers above:

1 I saw Eugene Berger do this on a video. The handling is:

* The cigarette is held at an end in the right hand with the thumb on one side and the fingers in the other.

* The other end of the cigarette is placed next to the right nostril and the right hand slides up the cigarette in a way to make it look like the cigarette is going into the nostril.

As this is happening the head is tilted back and you sniff.

* The head falls back to normal position as the right hand drops to the edge of the table and the cigarette is lapped.

* At the same time the empty left hand comes up and acts the way the right hand did that is, it presses against the left nostril as the head again goes back and again you sniff.

* Shake your head and say whew!

2 Later, at the end of the meal, the woman again lit up and again I asked for a cigarette and when I got it I explained that I read that salt is used to bind a cigarette. I break the cigarette into three pieces and show them on the palm of my left hand and I sprinkle salt on the pieces.

(Note a few places on this thread Ive used salt as sort of a magic wand which causes the magic to happen though I dont know why the sixth category of magic See Dice Caper above April 1, 2005 and Perverse Coin and Salt Shaker above April 1, 2009.)

I then perform Slydinis Cigarette Re-incarnation from Slydini Encores (page 115).

Basically:

* The newly borrowed cigarette is broken into three equal pieces and the three pieces are put on the left hand one piece behind the other.

* With your right hand, give the salt shaker to a spectator and tell her to sprinkle salt on the pieces.

* While she is doing that, your right hand gets the lapped cigarette (from the first effect) between the right thumb and the fleshy part of the right palm.

* The hands come close together and at the same time:

** The left hand performs the Revolve lapping the pieces and

** The right first finger touches the right thumb and both now hold the palmed cigarette.

The right second finger goes BEHIND the cigarette and causes it to swing out (with the thumb and first finger being the pivot point) and it goes into the closing left hand.

** The right thumb now pushes the cigarette through the left fist.

Two impromptu Perverse Magic tricks with borrowed cigarettes (though the spectator wont put the two borrowings together.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » December 1st, 2011, 6:49 am

SIT DOWN ELEVEN CARD TRICK

Background

Back on this thread February 2, 2003 I posted my version of Edward Victors Eleven card Trick with what I think is a strong ending. The Eleven card Trick is a wonderful example of Perverse Magic.

This is a sit down version which uses lapping and retrieving in an interesting way.

I have to point out, however, that this effect - sitting and having a spectator assist, while its the way Slydini worked, is more limited than the stand up version that can be done on a platform for a larger audience. It is appropriate for use in a card game for friends though after performing the friends wont be comfortable with you dealing.

Effect

The effect like the stand up version is that you are trying to get eleven cards and (i) at first you keep getting 10 and (ii) then you keep getting 13 and (iii) finally you have only 5.

The Routine

1 Ask a spectator sitting across from you to deal eleven cards into your cupped hands.

After eight cards are dealt, insert your left finger to get a break under the remaining cards that are dealt.

2 The three cards above the break are now lapped using Slydinis Timing Principle what Slydini called shoot.

Your hands hold the packet and they are raised as you say Watch (the shoot) and then the hands relax as the casually fall to the table. This is when it happens the cards over the break are allowed to fall to your lap.

Immediately the packet is turned face up and moved away from the table edge.

Harry Lorayne describes this in the write up to my four aces through the table in Best Of Friends II (Four Through page 553)

3 You now have eight cards which the spectators think are eleven. These eight cards are false counted as ten.

The top card is pushed off the packet and taken in my right hand but as it is I allow it to flick off my left thumb as I count "one". The second card is done the same way and taken under the first card as I count "two".

The third card is pushed off the same way but the left thumb pulls this card back to the top of the packet but as it does it flicks off my right fingers as I count "three". This move is repeated on the count of "five" and when done the eight cards have been counted as 10.

4 Ask the spectator for another card (now you have nine) and count these again as ten using the count above but only on the count of three.

5 Again ask for a card and count the ten as ten.

Give the packet to the spectator and tell her to count the cards herself by dealing them onto the table.

While she is doing this you get the three cards in your lap into your left hand in dealing position.

When the spectator finishes dealing the ten cards, you scoop the cards towards you with your right hand and they get added to the three cards in your left hand.

6 Ask a spectator to give you three cards which is added to the packet (you now have 16 but they think 13).

You say that you have 13 but you need 11 so you give back 2 cards (so you now have 14)

You now Buckle Count the 14 cards as 13. You look exasperated and give 2 back (so you now have 12) (The Buckle Count can be found on page 318 of Card College Vol. 2.)

7 False count the 12 as 13.

Here I use a different false count done very slowly and deliberately (because Im frustrated) as follows:

I push one card off the packet with my left thumb and take it in my right hand, raising my right hand to the audience as I count "one". This is repeated for the second card as I count "two but as that is taken in front of the first card, the right thumb pushes the first card to the left so that it overlaps the second card about a quarter inch to the left.

As the third card is taken the first card goes under the left thumb and is left there as the right hand comes away with two (the audience thinks three)and I count "three". The count is completed as I count the 12 cards as 13.

8 I shake my head as if Im frustrated and spread the packet and get a break under the seventh card.

The cards over the break are lapped following what is set forth in Step 2 above as you say youll do a trick with 13 cards and just forget the 11 card trick.

9 Hand the packet of 5 cards that you now have in your left hand to the spectator as your right hand goes to your lap and palms the 7 cards there.

Tell the spectator to deal 6 cards on your left hand which is extended and as she takes the packet your right hand with the 7 palmed cards pushes the deck out of the way as it leaves the palmed cards on top and you say and deal 7 cards to this hand

The spectator has only 5 cards and when thats discovered you look really confused and you are clean.

As I said, the Eleven Card Trick is a wonderful Perverse Magic effect but this sit
down version may be limited in where it can be performed (perhaps at a card
game) but its a good way to practice lapping and retrieving as well as false
counting.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » December 1st, 2011, 6:49 am

Another Perverse Walk Around Card Routine A Card In Hand and Homing Card

I want to spend a minute talking about routining. Too many magicians are on too long when they perform and Ive learned that its always better to leave them wanting more.

I have worked out several walk around card routines that I do at a cocktail party where its not always easy to just walk up to people and do card tricks. This is one such routine and only two effects are done after which I bid the spectators goodbye, leaving them, I hope, feeling a bit amused and relaxed and entertained.

This routine uses (1) Annemanns A Card In Hand (Miracles of Card Magic page 18) and (2) Carlyles Homing Card with the additions suggested by Giobbi (on page 288 of Card College Volume 2)

The effect is as follows:

1 A card is selected and shuffled back into the deck.

2 The top card of the deck is shown and the spectator is asked to stab it into the deck next to the selected card but not to let go of the card.

The spectator does but the card next to the one the spectator is holding is not the selected card.

The magician is confused. He asks the spectator to look at the card she is holding and and its the selected card. The magician is more confused.

3 The deck is given to a spectator to shuffle. The magician takes back the deck and says that he will make the card that was selected before go into his pocket. It does. The magician is pleased.

4 He says he will do it again. And does.

5 He says he will try it a third time. He has the spectator reach into his pocket. The spectator does but comes out with an indifferent card. The magician is confused.

6 The magician reaches into his pocket and comes out with another card. This too isnt the selected card. He keeps pulling cards out of his pocket until the entire deck is there except except the chosen card which is alone in his left hand.

The magician is more confused than ever and gives up!

The numbers below correspond to the numbers above:

1 The selected card is controlled to the top by your favorite method.

2 A Double Lift is used to show the top card to be an indifferent card. The card the spectator stabs into the deck is her card though she doesnt know it at that time and is surprised when it is revealed to her as shes been holding the card.

3 At this point the trick is over. The audience is not expecting anything.

Why do magicians always have another card selected each time they do another card effect? Why not use the same card. Its that much less for the spectators to have to remember.

So the card that was selected before is put on top and a short jog shuffle is made keeping it there. Then that card plus the two below it are palmed in the right hand No heat the audience isnt expecting anything.

Give the deck to a spectator to shuffle and put BOTH hands in your trouser pockets leaving the three palmed cards.

The shuffled deck is taken back and you say that youre going to make the previous selected card to go into your pocket.

Your right hand goes to the right pocket and pulls out the top card (the selected card) and leaves the other two.

4 The magician explains that in order to do this the pocket has to be able to let the card go in easily. He demonstrates with the selected card, putting it behind the two cards in the pocket and pulls out one of the two there and without showing its face, buries it in the deck.

The magician makes a gesture and reaches in and again pulls out the selected card leaving an indifferent card in his pocket.

Note that when doing Perverse Magic, theres nothing wrong with doing some straight magic too.

5 The selected card is put back in the deck and cut to the bottom and a break is taken over it.

The magician makes a gesture and tells the spectator to reach into his pocket to get the card. While she is doing that the magician palms all the cards above the break (50 cards).

When the spectator comes out with the indifferent card, the magician looks confused and reaches into his pocket leaving all the 50 cards and pulling out one. Then another. Then a handful. Then a bigger handful. Then all. Will you look at this? They all went EXCEPT YOUR CARD! showing the single card the selected card in his left hand.

Then I walk away leaving them laughing.

One more point.

When you tell a spectator who has selected a card to Remember it that could be
a stressful experience for the person charged with that task. (Of course it helps to
have that spectator show it to everyone but now everyone has that job.) And if
the performer is doing several pick a card tricks well---

(The Ambitions Card sort of reduces that problem as a single card is used for a series of revelations.)

But why cant the same selected card be used when performing several different pick a card tricks?

I do this in the routine above.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » January 1st, 2012, 6:45 am

The Bill- Cup Routine

Effects

1 Well, are you going to show my friends a trick? his girl friend asked the magician who, with two of her friends were finishing their dinner.

Okay, said the magician as he wiped out his coffee cup and looked at a piece of paper in his pocket. Lets see, I need the cup, my pen and do you have two dollars?

After wiping out the cup it is placed mouth down on the table.

The pen is taken from the magicians pocket and placed to his right on the table.

One of the women takes out two single dollar bills which the magician crumples into balls.

2 Okay, now watch. I put the bill in my hand and tap it with the pen and it vanishes But its still there. The magician is confused.

He puts the bill down and looks at the paper again and nods.

3 Let me try tht again. Again he puts the other bill in his hand, taps it with the pen and it works! Its vanished.

Now it should be under the cup. But its not. Again he looks at the paper confused and takes it out of his shirt pocket, still confused.

4 The magician says hell try again and again he puts the balled bill in his hand and taps his hand with the pen and it vanishes and this time when he lifts the cup the bill is there.

5 The magician is pleased. Now watch this. He puts one of the bills in his left hand and the other in his pocket, taps his hand with the pen and both bills fall out of his hand.

He repeats this.

He tries it again but this time only one bill falls out of his left hand. Again he is confused. Then he looks over at the cup, slowly lifts it and is confused but pleased to see the bill under the cup.

6 My favorite though is having the bill go from my hand to the cup. Let me do that again. And he does the bill vanishes from his left hand and as he goes to lift up the cup he says, Watch! and there, under the cup there is no bill but his watch! He is confused and looks on his wrist and there is no watch.

7 What are you two doing after dinner? one of the women asks. Were going back to my place, says the magicians girlfriend with a smile.

Comments

A I had contributed this to Apocalypse and Harry Lorayne published it and it appears in the May 1985 issue on page 1064.

B The Cups and Balls is, of course, a classic effect in magic and I always liked the idea of Charlie Millers of using coffee cups instead of the chrome cups. (See Bruce Elliots Classic Secrets of Magic page 174) I also liked being able to perform this totally impromptu using props always handy coffee cup, bills, and my watch.

Preparation

A Crumpled dollar bill on lap.

B Crumpled dollar bill in shirt pocket.

C Magicians wrist watch buckled on lap.

D An instruction paper is in a pocket where it can be easily obtained.

E Pen in pocket ready to be used as magic wand

Routine

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect.

1 The preparation above is done in anticipation of doing this effect.

The crumpled bill on your lap is finger palmed in your right hand and
loaded under the cup as it is put mouth down on the table.

No further explanation for this portion is necessary.

2 One of the crumpled bills is picked up in the right hand and tossed into the left hand in a manner that will closely resemble the move that is made in step 3 below. Good acting is necessary (as it is for most Perverse Magic effects).

3 The other bill is picket up and held in the right hand at the base of the fingers and apparently tossed into the left hand but the right thumb holds the bill in place.

The right hand goes to take the pen and as it does, it passes over the lap and the bill is released (lapped) and falls to the lap. You tap the left hand with the pen and show the bill has vanished.

You tilt the cup away from you and pretend that the bill is NOT under the cup.

You again refer to the paper and then, with confusion, you produce the crumpled bill you had placed in your shirt pocket.

4 At this point the position of the bills are (i) one under the cup, (ii) one on your lap, (iii) 2 on the table.

Once again one of the bills from the table is taken in the right hand, apparently tossed into the left but retained in the right BUT NOT LAPPED THIS TIME as the pen is taken in the right hand and the hand and then the cup is tapped. The hand is shown empty and the bill is shown under the cup.

The finger palmed bill is loaded under the cup as it is placed face down.

5 One of the bills on the table is picked up in the right hand and tossed TOGETHER WITH THE FINGER PALMED BILL into the left hand and the other bill is apparently placed in the right jacket pocket but retained in the right hand.

(Note you cant stand to put the bill in your trouser pocket because the watch is on your lap. If you are not wearing a jacket and must use your pants pocket be careful.)

You show 2 bills again in the left hand.

This is repeated but the bill is left in the pocket.

Its repeated again but this time only 1 bill goes into the left hand.

Before you open your left hand to show only one bill, the right hand is on your lap and it palms the watch.

You lift the cup with your left hand showing the bill and put the cup into the right hand with the mouth of the cup going over the watch.

When the cup with the watch now inside is put on the table you want to avoid the noise the watch will make so I have the cup hit against another object on the table as salt or pepper shaker etc. (This was Slydinis suggestion to me for this.)

6 I use the Slydini Revolve Vanish to make this bill disappear here and I act surprised and confused when, instead of a bill I find my watch under the cup and pulling back my sleeve I am confused when my watch isnt on my wrist.

7 No comment.

Its my feeling and Ive expressed it before, that many magicians go on and on and
dont know when to stop. I think this routine should be done alone and need not be
followed or preceded by anything else. It has enough. Remember the purpose of
magic is to entertain the audience not the performer.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 1st, 2012, 5:56 am

Perverse Magic And Presentation

I strongly believe that magic should entertain! That is the purpose. To entertain. And its the audience that should be entertained NOT the performer.

I also believe that the audience should remember the performer more than the effect he performs. So many magicians rush out to get a new trick because (i) the effect may be great or (ii) the method is ingenious but I feel that unless the performer puts his personality into the trick the audience may remember the effect but not the magician.

I have been a student of Slydini and while he taught me to do his effects as he does them I found I could not it wasnt me. His lessons were extremely valuable because (i) I learned his principles timing for example, (ii) I learned to change or modify some of his effects to fit me and (iii) I came up with other effects using his principles.

I have found that Perverse Magic fits my personality.

Its not me against the audience its me AND the audience against whats happening.

And Ive said before the whole act need not be Perverse Magic an incident (or maybe two) may be enough. I recall Roy Benson doing his beautiful billiard ball routine using 2 white balls when suddenly a red ball appears and Benson looks confused and looks in a book. A great example of the first category of Perverse Magic.

Back on this thread I noted in several places what I called the six categories of Perverse Magic. The first four basically have the magic happen unexpectedly to the surprise of the magician (and the audience).

The fifth category has the magician and the audience on different planes as when the magician acts as if an object that is not there is and I gave as an example David Roths Legendary Four Coin Trick (see this thread above December 1 2005)

When I posted David Roths effect I noted what I called The Sixth Category of Perverse Magic as follows:

6 Performer explains something that will happen but he doesnt understand why it happens---------.

This category can be used with many, many standard effects.

Instead of my saying to the audience look what Im going to do I say look at this.
I dont understand this at all. Again, its not me against the audience but me with
the audience neither of us understanding why what happens, happens.

The following effect demonstrates this category.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 1st, 2012, 5:57 am

Dallerchrist

Effect

1 Is that a Bicycle Deck? the young magician asks one of the girls playing
cards.

Well, yes. Why?

Well, I read that you can do some things with these cards that you cant do with any other.

Like what? asked one of the girls, interested.

Ill show you. Shuffle the deck. Smiling she does.

2 He takes the deck back and gives it a quick shuffle and then says, Look, you just deal the cards face up in a pile counting backwards from 10. And if the value of a card is at the number youre counting you stop and start again at another pile. He demonstrates counting one pile. At the count of 8 and 8 appears. He stops and hands the deck to one of the girls.

3 She deals the same way but no card appears that matches the called number. Okay deal one card face down on the pile. She does.

4 Let your friend try, says the young magician and the girl gives the deck to her friend. At the count of 10 a 10 appears.

Okay, deal one more pile, says the magician. The girl does and again no card appears that matches the number so she deals a face down card on the face up pile.

5 Okay, says the magician. Now theres a 10 and an 8 face up. Thats 18. I dont understand how this works but if you count 18 cards down youll find the 4C. And you did shuffle the deck.

The girl does and sure enough the 4C.

I dont understand. It works only with Bicycle cards.

Method

The numbers below correspond with the numbers above.

2 When the deck is taken back you just glimpse the bottom card here, the 4C - and then run 8 cards from the top into your left hand and drop the deck on top so that the card glimpsed is 9 cards from the bottom.

You deal the first pile just to make sure the spectator knows what to do with the other three piles.

3,5 Thats all its automatic.

Notes

1 David Roth showed this to me back in 1999 having a card selected. I understand that it somewhat similar to an effect called Allerchrist which appears on page 114 of Scarne On Card Tricks credited there to Bert Allerton and Henry Christ. Terry Lagerould has a version in Harry Loraynes Best Of Friends II.

2 I prefer not having a card selected when not necessary for, as Ive explained before on this thread, it can be work for a spectator to have to remember a card.

3 If it should happen that no card matches the number called in any pile then
there will be four piles with a face down card on each. The known card will
then be the last card dealt the face down card on the last pile.

In that case you say, I dont understand how this works but if you just turn that card face up youll find the 4C. And you did shuffle the deck.

4 In doing this, I find I sometimes tend to forget the glimpsed card which ruins the effect and so I thought that the effect could be done, not with having a known card at the designated location but having the card at that location face up.

That would mean that, instead of glimpsing and remembering a card, you just have to reverse a card and bring it ninth from the bottom.

My friend Wesley James suggested the following to do this:

A When the deck is given for shuffling palm the top card (you need not know what it is) in the right hand.

B Take the deck back in the left hand with the backs to the left

C The right hand comes over depositing the palmed card face up on the bottom (the deck is vertical) and immediately you give the deck an overhand shuffle but just running 7 cards (not 8 Ill explain below) from the top to the bottom so that the reverse card will be 8th from the bottom.

Of course if you do this you say, Now theres a 10 and an 8 face up. Thats 18. I dont understand how this works but if you count 18 cards down youll find that the next card will be face up. And you did shuffle the deck.

If you use the reverse card method and there are no matches you DONT deal the last card face down on top of the 4th packet. You just say that the NEXT card will be face up. Thats the reason for bringing the reversed card 8th from the bottom instead of 9th (so its the NEXT card for all the counting) because if there are no matches the reverse card would be place on the last pile and you have no effect.

This is presented here as the sixth category of Perverse Magic the magician doesnt understand why what happens happens

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » February 2nd, 2012, 2:22 am

This is a neat impromptu trick which I have often used and with borrowed decks. However, I have my own patter. I talk about card handling and the skill of gamblers. Then have the deck shuffled by someone. I take it back, glimpse and shuffle. Then say,"Who has played solitaire? You know how many combinations of dealt cards there are in a shuffled deck. That is what makes solitaire endlessly fascinating. I have just taken your shuffled deck, and with one shuffle have stacked the entire deck to win at a solitaire type game. The card I will win on is...(state the glimpsed card). Then I go through the procedure. It is enough like a solitaire type game that it sells to laity. I get good reactions with this patter. Peace...Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Puzzled Miracle Worker

Effect

1 The magician enters the hospital room and sees two beds with a patient in
each. Hell do a trick for both.

2 He takes out a deck of cards and cuts it in half and leaves half on one of the beds and has Patient A touch a card in the other half and remember it. He shuffles that half and gives it to Patient A to hold.

3 He picks up the other half and does the same with patient B.

4 He then tells each of the two patients to shuffle his half.

Okay. Now. You both are thinking of a card and you both shuffled your half deck. Now watch. Your cards are on top of your packets.

They look at the top cards and then at you. Wrong!

Youre kidding. What card are you thinking of? he asks Patient A.

The AC.

And you? he asks patient B.

The AC.

5 The magician shakes his head. I hate when that happens.

I dont think theres a AC in either packet.

6 They check and smile. No AC.

7 With his hands empty the magician reaches into his pocket and removes the
AC and shakes his head in frustration.

Method

The numbers below correspond with the numbers under Effect.

2 The card is forced using the Classic Force (see below under Discussion.) I just spread the deck and have the spectator touch the card and leave it in place.

The card is controlled to the top and palmed off as the rest of the packet is given to the spectator to hold.

3 The palmed card is added to this packet and again forced in the same way on the second spectator. It is again palmed off.

As both halves are being shuffled BOTH hands (the right hand with the palmed card) are put in the trouser pockets.

5 I hate when that happens. This is one of the lines used in Perverse Magic. (See this thread above December 1, 2006.)

Discussion

I guess I got the idea for this from Miracle Worker the last effect in Frank Garcias Super Subtle Card Miracles but I shortened that effect here and present it as Perverse Magic and I do this in a hospital with two patients in the same room.

Note the card here the AC is forced twice. The reason for the first force is to have an obvious card so that neither spectator will think that he must be mistaken as both could not have the same card. This leaves the possibility that the force could miss and thats okay. If two different cards are selected then your hands go to your pocket with two cards instead of one.

Also, as the card is being forced you could have a duplicate in, say, your shoe and produce from there instead of your pocket.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 1st, 2012, 7:00 am

Wife Swapping Party

Effect

Four couples have gathered at the magicians home expecting him to show them some magic. Instead he has a surprise

Well gang, to spice things up were going to do some wife swapping tonight. Look, I wrote all of our names on these sheets of paper. Next to each husbands name is his wifes name.

Now were going to mix up the names to see who goes with whom.

The magician tears the sheets creating slips of paper each of which has the name of one of the husbands or wives and gives a set to each man.

Okay, now listen and Ill tell you how to mix up the slips so you wont know whom you will wind up with.

He does and then, at one point he asks each husband to put one slip face down on his chair and to sit on it. More mixing is done and then a duck and deal (one slip is dealt to the bottom and the next to the table and so on) until only one slip remains.

Good. Now lets see who each of you is set up to be with tonight.

But when the last slip remaining is matched to the slip that the husbands are sitting on each match is a couple married to each other.

The magician shakes his head. Darn! No wife swapping tonight. His wife slaps his arm but smiles.

Background

I believe this came from A Book In English by Woody Aragon and is called How To Find Your Other Half and is a card effect.

My friend Ziggy Ziegelman did this for me using raffle tickets and he told me that was suggested to him by David Levitan.

Method

1 Four couples are used and their names are written on four sheets of paper but not in the same order (that is couple 1 may be first on one list but third on another and so forth.

2 The lists are each torn, first separating the husbands from the wives and then separating the husbands and wives from each other so that each couple now has 8 slips.

Its important that the order of each packet not be disturbed.

A set is given to each husband.

The magician has each husband do the following:

3 Cut the packet as many times as desired.

4 Place the top 3 slips in the center and the next on his chair and sit on it (this of course matches the bottom slip which is the last of the wives as its the last of the husbands).

5 Place one from the top to the center then 2 from the top to the center then three.

6 Offer the husbands the right to switch the top slip with anyone elses top slip.

7 Have each husband duck and deal (the top goes to the bottom and the next to the table the next to the bottom etc) until each has one card.

The name on that slip will be the mate of the slip each husband is sitting on.

Its good Perverse Magic as the magician seems disappointed at the result (but hes
been sure to alert his wife that he will be doing this trick.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » April 1st, 2012, 6:50 am

Perverse Card On Forehead

This effect has been the subject of discussions on this forum (See Close Up Magic August 1, 2004 and September 17, 2005) as well as other forums. Michael Close has included his version in his Workers number 3 and I first came across it in a book called Basic Card Technique by Anthony Norman on page 190 which is called there, Heads It Is.

Its that version that I do as Perverse Magic

A card is selected (forced, so you know the name of the card) and as the spectator looks at the card you moisten your forehead with a little saliva. The card is returned and brought to the top of the deck and the deck is held to the forehead as you try to guess the name of the card.

Concentrate and name a card as different as possible from the selected card. (Thats why the card is forced.) It is wrong. Try again, again naming a card much unlike the selected card. Shake your head in annoyance and try one more time and finally ask for the name of the card and look through the deck trying to find it while the audience sees it on your forehead. Look annoyed and confused as you cant find the card and then, when someone points out to you that the card is on your forehead you take it down and really look confused.

Another good example of Perverse Magic where you are not making a fool of a spectator but, instead, what happens happens to you and you dont know why.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » April 1st, 2012, 6:51 am

Perverse Through the Table - Again

Back in April of 2006, on this thread, I posted some Perverse Through Table routines. Heres another that was inspired by Al Bakers A Dinner Table Trick from his Magical Ways and Means.

Effect

Does someone have a quarter? I just learned a new trick today.

A dinner companion gives the magician a quarter. Thanks. Now watch. Im going to make this quarter pass right through the table and fall into my hand below.

The magician tries and great the quarter is gone from under his hand on top of the table. But but its not in his hand that he put below the table. The magician is confused. He stares at the table and then at his empty right hand. And then and then he notices the lump in the table cloth. Confused, he carefully lifts up the tablecloth and there it is the quarter.

The magician scratches his head in confusion and gives back the quarter.

Discussion

During dinner, when no one has any reason to expect anything, get a quarter under the tablecloth.

You borrow the quarter and perform a pass, pretending to put the quarter from your right hand into your left but keep it in your right hand. (Or, as I do, I lap the quarter.)

The left hand goes on top of the table over the quarter thats under the tablecloth and the right hand goes under the table and leaves the quarter on the chair between your thighs.

The rest follows.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 1st, 2012, 7:17 am

SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE $100 DOLLAR BILL SWITCH AND MISMADE BILL

This popular effect can be well presented as Perverse Magic.

As usually presented a dollar bill is borrowed, changed to a $100 dollar bill and then back to the dollar bill which is returned. A Thumb Tip is used to make the change.
Magick Balay changes a borrowed dollar into a mismade bill and then back to the dollar.

Some thoughts:

1 Magick Balay makes the switch as well as, if not better than anyone Ive seen do this. I have seen Jay Marshall make the switch without a gimmick.

2 For Perverse Magic I would borrow a $5 and say I will change it to a $10 and instead get a $1 bill. I would look confused and then upset as I give the spectator the $1 plus four singles from my wallet.

3 I never like the idea of changing the bill back as I felt that to be anticlimatical.

4 Back on this thread on October 1, 2008 I posted 20 to one using a borrowed $20 bill which I crumpled and had it changed in the spectators hand.
The classic effect with the Thumb Tip the way Magick Balay is more visible and startling.

5 As to the mismade bill I carry one around and at the right time I mention that I did a trick the other night where I borrowed a dollar bill and tore it up and was going to restore it but I did something wrong and I show the mismade bill
It gets a great laugh.

The feel of the mismade bill that if feels just like a normal bill and the fact that it looks like a normal bill, I feel can diminish the magic effect and focus more attention on the bill than the performer.

Just some thoughts.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 1st, 2012, 7:17 am

THIS IS YOUR CARD

Effect

Take a card, any card, says the magician and the spectator does.
Heres a pen. Sign your name on the face of the card. Good. Now put it back in the deck and watch, Ill shuffle the deck.

The magician shuffles the deck.

Now Ill find your card, says the magician as he looks through the deck and pulls out the selected card.

The spectators smile and shake their heads. Very funny. I signed the card!

I dont understand how this trick works, says the magician, all the other cards have turned blank!

Discussion

This is a combination of effects number 9 and 18 in a booklet called Fifty Crazy Card Stunts.

Of course its a blank face deck with one card which is classic forced and then signed to later prove its the same card and shuffled back into the deck.

Its then presented as the sixth category of Perverse Magic (see above under Cigarettes November 1, 2011) - performer explains something that will happen but he doesnt understand why it happens.

Note - by saying all the other cards have turned blank! it sort of gets away from your having forced a card. It wasnt a blank deck to start but became blank,

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2012, 5:54 am

The Classic Force

I find the Classic Force one of the most effective sleights in card magic. And it is so easy to practice. Just Classic Force a card every time you have a card selected, whether necessary or not and if you miss - so what!

Ive recommended in this thread that a safer force be used when its essential that the forced card be the card selected. Ive been asked why I did not use that recommendation in the effect I posted last month which I called This Is Your Card.

Perhaps I should have but I use the Classic Force for this effect because (i) I rarely miss but more important, (ii) if I do I have a good out.

If the spectator takes a blank card I would turn the deck so the faces are to me and look confused as I bring the card that I wanted to be forced to the top and then, holding the deck face up I would bet a break above the card under it and spread the deck showing all blanks.

Darn! They sold me an unprinted deck! What can I do with this? I would show the selected card blank too, take it and put the deck away and take out another deck and so a different effect.

(Just another note about the Classic Force I was in a restaurant in Tampa recently and a magician that I didnt know came to our table to perform and instead of forcing a card he just handed a card to the spectator. Apparently it made no difference to her.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2012, 5:55 am

Tommy Plays Ball

Back on this thread, on February 1, 2005, I posted The Bag Snap having an imaginary ball make a noise as it falls into a paper bag.

I am a member of The Long Island Writers Guild and I was asked to write something and use magic as I read it.

I did that on Saturday February 11, 2012. I read the following poem that I wrote for the occasion with actions as noted. (You may want to refer to the February 1, 2005 posting above for the mechanics of the bag snap.)

I came out with a small flat briefcase which held (i) three stories I wrote that I was going to read, (ii) this poem, (iii) a small handball that looks like a miniature basketball and (iv) a small paper bag.

After reading my three short stories I took the poem out of the bag and started to read:

Little Tommy wasnt tall
But he loved the game of basketball

He approached the school team he wanted to play
Today would be his lucky day

The coach saw Tommy was so short
He could help Tommy or so he thought

Tommy, he said, We must give you a test
To see if youll be able to play with the rest

Heres a paper bag and heres a ball

I took the small handball and the paper bag from the briefcase.

Get the ball in the bag that is all

But Tommy couldnt get the ball in the bag

I tossed the ball into the air and as it fell it hit the back of my hand

And so his spirits started to sag

Tommy, I said, Its not so tragic
Ill help you out I can do magic

There is no reason for you to be miserable
Just take this ball here its invisible.

I reached into my pocket for the invisible ball.

Now to everyone, Tommy could brag
Cause the invisible ball he could get in the bag

I performed the bag snap several times as I tossed the invisible ball into the air.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2012, 5:56 am

Perverse Sugar 2

Effect

Watch this, says the magician as he takes a packet of sugar and puts it in front of
him and covers it with his two hands. Im going to make the sugar vanish.

He blows on his hands and when he lifts them the packet is gone but the sugar is
there loose on the table.

I must have done something wrong.

Notes and Background

Back in October of last year, I posted Perverse Sugar and this is a similar routine based upon an idea that I got from reading Close Up Capers by Clettis V. Musson.

Preparation

A sugar packet that has been secretly taken and torn open is on your lap. When ready to perform, the packet is folded in half with the open end about a quarter inch below the closed end and both ends are thumb palmed.

Method

The right hand with the thumb palmed packet is on your lap as the left hand puts a normal packet in front of you.

The hands are brought together, right hand under the left hand palms down (covering the thumb palmed packet) and they cover the packet on the table.

As I do in Perverse Sugar, I perform a move from Rick Johnssons Practical Impossibilities. The right third finger kicks the packet on the table to my lap.

My left hand is covering my right (with the thumb palmed packet) and my left thumb pushes down the open end of the thumb palmed packet letting the sugar pour onto the table.

As the hands come back and while all are looking at the loose sugar on the table, the thumb palmed packet is also lapped.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 1st, 2012, 6:30 am

Perverse Six Card Repeat

Effect

I explain that for my next effect Im going to pass these six cards through this plate. I count six cards onto the plate.

I explain that I dont know why you need six cards but the instructions are clear but then, while Im talking, I accidentally drop 2 cards. I continue and again count 6 cards. Again I accidentally drop another card and count and this time there are 5. I look around and say, Oh, I dropped one. And I pick one up.

Again I count but this time there a 7. I look confused. I guess I didnt. And throw one card away but when I count again there are again 7

This is repeated several times until finally the magician quits and tosses the cards away saying he cant ever get six and then looks frustrated because he just did get six!

Background

This is my Perverse Magic presentation of the Six Card Repeat that came to me initially from seeing Senator Crandall do his version at a Magicians Guild Lecture years ago. His version appears in Tarbell 6.

Roy Benson who was my favorite magician so many years ago, had a similar version which appeared in his lecture notes and now appears in Benson By Starlight on page 229 where the Benson and Crandall versions are compared.

The ideas of looking in the book (see below) came to me from Roy Benson as he did that during his billiard ball routine when a red ball suddenly appeared during his routine with white balls.

Needed

A dinner plate and 11 cards.

Routine

Explain that you are going to cause 6 cards to pass thru a plate

"For this I need 6 cards."

Buckle count the 11 cards as 6 and pick up the plate

"And I also need a plate."

Accidentally drop 2 cards without apparently being aware of it

"I dont know why you need exactly 6 cards but thats what the instructions say.

Buckle count 6 cards on the plate with left hand only

Accidentally drop another card.

"Okay Now Watch- the cards thru the plate.

Buckle count 5 cards on plate. Look around and pick up one of the dropped cards.

"Oh, I must have dropped one. Okay, the plate and 1-2-3-4-5-6-7."

Buckle count 7 cards on the plate. Look confused. Throw down 1 card.

I guess not.

Buckle count 7 cards on plate. Again look confused and throw down one card. Put the plate down.

Buckle count 7 in hand. Throw one down.

Look in a book to try to understand.

Finally, in desperation, you say:

"Let's forget this trick. You need a plate and 6 cards and I keep getting 1-2-3-4-5-6--------"

Count the six cards on the plate and then toss them off the plate and do a "double take" as you realize you just had 6 cards which you just threw away.

Pure Perverse Magic

Return to “General”