Perverse Magic

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Perverse Magic

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2009, 1:25 pm

All great ideas, Jerry!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » June 1st, 2009, 3:21 pm

A great example of this kind of magic is 'The Hypnotist' by David Williamson. It is his very deceptive handling for the colour-changing deck. It has a great twist at the end...

Joe

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2009, 8:29 pm

Snapped Away

Effect

1 Card is chosen and shuffled back in pack. (Its the 2H.)

2 Deck is cut and the magician says he found the chosen card. He turns over the 10H

3 "Now look, I put your card in this card case and--what - it's not your card? What was your card? The 2H?"

4 The magician looks at a paper and looks confused, puts the paper down, opens the card case, snaps it and 8 cut out hearts fall out. He pulls the card out of the card case and it's the 2H. He's very confused.

Background

This basic effect appears in Shawn Farquars lecture notes as Blown Away and in Joshua Jays Magic Atlas as Losing Diamonds.

Here, I using Perverse Magic (the sixth category) to have the problem solved as per instructions that I dont understand.

Preparation

The preparation is:

A Have 8 hearts in the cardbox.

(I was able to get a hole punch and red bookmark paper at Michaels the craft store)

B The 2H on top of the deck.

C The 10H second from the top.

D Have an instruction sheet where you can get to it quickly (see 4 below).

Method

(The numbers below correspond to the numbers in Effect above.)

1 The card is forced.

2 The 2H goes back in place (over the 10H) and is controlled to the top.

A double lift shows the 10H.

3 The 2H is the card that goes into the card case with the hearts cutouts.

4 This is very important. When it looks like youve missed, the spectators will lose interest in what youre doing so its essential that you move quickly and pull out the paper and say something like, Hold it! Hold it! Just a minute! as you grab the paper and quickly read it.

The reason for putting the card in the cardcase is not explained nor need it be. What you planned to do was interrupted by having the wrong card and then, looking at the paper changing it to the correct card though not understanding any of this.

The change is a strong effect and, like properly presented Perverse Magic, very entertaining which is what magic should always be.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2009, 8:31 pm

Perverse Rose Production

Effect

So did you learn anything new at the magic group today Sweetie? she asks her lover as they were finishing dinner.

Yes, I did. I learned a very romantic trick. I learned how to produce a very fragrant rose for you.

Lets see. Do it! she says excitedly.

Okay. Let me try.

The magician shows his hands empty and starts to gather invisible stuff from the table to his left hand. He then pours some salt into his left hand and asks his lover to pour in pepper. The magician puts his hands together and shakes them and then and then when he separates them instead of a very fragrant rose there is his smelly sock!

The magician is surprised (as is his lover) and he pulls pack his pants leg to see a sock is missing. He scratches his head in confusion. I must have done something wrong! he says as he thinks how beautiful his lover is when she laughs.

Background

Of course this is an effect where you must use judgment as to (i) when to do this and (ii) for whom to do this.

I came up with this after playing with the production of the magicians shoe. Lou Tannen published his version of this in Phoenix 132 (1947) and Martin Gardner published Jay Marshalls version in the famous Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.

The production of the performers sock when the performer says he will produce a rose is a good example of the second classification of Perverse Magic the performer says one thing will happen something else does.

Method

To prepare, of course, the magician secretly removes one of his socks. It may be best to do this during a trip to the mens room as no one will notice his missing sock. The sock is then rolled up and kept on the performers lap.

When ready to perform, the magician shows his hands empty and, as noted, he pretends to put invisible stuff into his left hand and then he pours some salt into his left hand.

Then he leans forward and asks the woman to pour pepper into his left hand and as he does, his right hand drops naturally to his lap and onto the rolled sock.

Then, as he leans back, his hands approach each other which brings the sock into his hands.

(This is a technique I learned from Slydini the coordination of body movements the move hands to lap hands from lap being done while the body moves forward - and then back - see Slydinis Torn and Restored Napkin Corner. While few of Slydinis effects fit my style, I have been able to adapt his wonderful principles to the magic I do.)

Comment

Note that this can be done with someone sitting next to you. The misdirection is strong enough so that no one will be looking at your lap at the wrong time.

And, as with most effects of Perverse Magic, good acting is necessary.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 3rd, 2009, 1:21 pm

David Williamson doesn't explain "The Hypnotist" as Perverse Magic ("Oh boy Ben--Richard --snap out of it__")

On this Perverse Magic thread back above on January 1, 2007, I mention a few color changing deck routines that can be presented as Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 1st, 2009, 5:45 am

Perverse Indicator

Effect

1 A card is chosen and shuffled back into the deck and the deck is given to a spectator to shuffle. Say its the 4H.

2 The magician takes back the deck, looks through it and pulls out the 4S, puts it face down on the table without showing its face but continues to look through the cards as if not quite sure of what to do. Then he lays down the deck in three piles and then turns over the 4S and as he does and smiles triumphantly. The spectators tell him he is wrong.

3 The magician looks up instruction on a piece of paper that he takes from pocket, shakes his head and puts the paper back and picks up the first pile on his right.

He spells F-O-U-R and turns over the last card spelled to show another four the 4D

4 He picks up the next pile and spells O-F and turns over last card spelled to show the 4C

5 He picks up the last pile and spells H-E-A-R-T-S and turns over an indifferent card.

6 He is confused and consults the instruction paper again, scratches his head and reaches into his back pocket and, to his confusion pulls out the 4H.

Background

This is, of course, Harry Loraynes Easy Indicator (which, in Harrys version is done with
no palming) from his great book Afterthoughts (and now in the Afterthoughts section of
Lorayne: The Classic Collection Volume 2)

There are many great effects in Afterthoughts (as there are in all of Harrys books) but
this is my favorite.

I changed the plot to make it a Perverse Magic presentation that fits me.

Method

The numbers below correspond to the numbers above:

1 The card a spot card is forced, controlled to the top and palmed while the deck is given out for shuffling. I force the card because I want a low value spot card that wont be forgotten.

While the deck is being shuffled, I put both hands in my pack pockets and leave them there. When the shuffling is complete, I take both hands out of my pockets at the same time and take the deck back with my left hand.

2 I go through the deck and pull out a mate of the chosen card but of THE OPPOSITE COLOR. The reason for this is that if the chosen card is, as here, the 4H and I pull out the 4D the spectator is likely to think She made the mistake. Thats unlikely if the card is of the opposite color.

I go through the deck and when I find another mate I spell the value to myself, adding one card to the mate for each letter in the value and break. So, for example, if I find the 4D, I keep spreading three more cards. (Four has 4 letters. The 4D is F and the next 3 cards will be O U R) I brake the deck and put this packet on the table.

I keep running thru until I find the last of the mates and do as above but for the word OF and break there.

The rest of the deck is placed to the left so there are 3 piles with the face down card in front.

(Im looking through the cards to be sure I have the correct card.)

3 and 6
Again I have to point out that when it appears that youve missed you may lose your audience so its important to keep their attention but making sure they know that the miss is part of the act by saying something like, Wait a second wait a second!

Good Perverse Magic! And note that the card is produced from the pocket while the deck is
on the table and no cards are in your hand.

As Ive said before, when doing a routine all the effects need not be Perverse Magic.

Also, as Ive said, I dont like to have a lot of different cards chosen when I do several
effects and so I tend to do several effects with the same selected card.

Here, I might do this effect first and then follow it with one or two effects using these four
cards (as one would use aces) and I might end with Direct Ace Assembly (See Best of
Friends III page 291) using here 4s instead of aces.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » July 1st, 2009, 11:58 am

Thanks. That's a good one.

A1exM

Postby A1exM » July 2nd, 2009, 6:42 am

Thanks Gerald, This effect reminds me of Vernon's 'Matched Spellout' from Ganson's 'Ultimate Secrets of Magic'.
Regards Alex

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 2nd, 2009, 10:14 am

Matched Spellout is a great Vernon effect.

The effect, basically is that a card is chosen (say AH) and returned to the deck and the performer spells out The, Ace Of, Hearts making a pile with each card spelled. The performer then turns each pile face up and each has an ace, with the last packet showing the chosen card, the Ace of Hearts.

I used to do this as sort of Perverse Magic by turning over ONLY the last packet and it would have the wrong card but of the same value but an opposite color (in this example the ace of clubs or spades).

(I previously noted that when doing this, if you show the wrong card but the same value and color, the spectators may think THEY made the mistake that is maybe it WAS the AD not the AH. By showing the opposite color they KNOW its the wrong card.)

Anyway, I digress. When the spectator tells me its the wrong card, I shake my head and say Its really hard to remember which card Im looking for so I have to get all the aces. And then turn over all the piles to show the other three aces.

(I say, sort of Perverse Magic because this presentation doesnt really fit into the six categories I noted on this thread above but, like Perverse Magic, it tends to present the performer as sort of humble and confused a style that fits me.)

(My friend Peter Marshall gave me the idea for this presentation. When Peter performs he has the chosen card as the face of the last pile (like Vernon) but he turns over that pile first, showing the chosen card. Then Peter says, I wasnt sure which ace you chose so I got them all. And he turns over the remaining three piles.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 1st, 2009, 6:18 am

The Free and Unlimited Coinage of Silver

This effect is described in The Dai Vernon Book of Magic and appears on tapes by David Roth. As described in the Vernon book it is a very good example of the first category of Perverse Magic Something happens without the performers knowledge.

Let me just describe the effect here. If anyone wants to do this it will take not only skill but acting ability as well.

As explained in the Vernon book, Vernon had just finished lunch with a few people and, as they were having coffee he pulled an ashtray towards him to deposit an ash from his cigar and where the ash tray had been there now was a coin. Vernon looked confused as he picked up the coin and put it into his pocket.

Vernon then went to get his cigarettes that were on the table to put them away but as he lifted the pack he saw that there was another coin under where the pack had been. This coin too he put into his pocket.

Then, puzzled, he started to move other objects on table the cups, saucers, the cigarettes again, the salt and pepper shaker, the sugar and each time he moved an object there was a coin underneath which he gathered and put into his pockets as fast as he could.

He was frantic now and half out of his chair as he could not get the coins into his pockets fast enough and they were left scattered around the table.

He finally gave up, exhaled, and settled down to relax and he took a roll from the bread basket and broke it open and and there in the roll was another coin. He dropped the roll on the table in frustration.

As pointed out in the book, the effect requires only a few simple moves and so much depends on presentation which Ive always maintained is the most important ingredient in a successful magic performance.

Its a great book and this is my favorite effect in that book.

Great Perverse Magic!

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 1st, 2009, 6:19 am

Far Flung

Effect

1 I learned a new card trick. Look. Take a card and and sign it. Good. Now put it back in the pack. Good. Ill shuffle the deck. Okay, now give me a number from five to ten. What number? Seven? Okay heres the deck. Count down seven cards.

2 The spectator takes the deck and counts seven cards.

3 A five appears. The magician looks confused. He takes out a piece of paper and reads it. He scratches his head. Then he nods.

4 Oh, okay, thats a five. So walk five paces that way. The spectator does and there, on the floor is the selected signed card.

The magician looks at the paper, shrugs and puts the paper back in his pocket.

Background

Years ago I came across a booklet called Close Up Capers released by Assembly 22 of the Society of American Magicians and the last effect is called Far Flung by Dick Zimmerman. I loved the effect and use it as the sixth classification of Perverse Magic Something happens and the magician doesnt understand why.

Method

The numbers below correspond with the numbers under Effect

1 The card is chosen, signed, returned to the deck, controlled to the top and palmed off and the deck given to the spectator.

Note I rarely have selected cards signed as it tends to slow things down but here I think it is important.

2 As the spectator deals the cards, (either on a table or on another spectators hand) the magician stands slightly behind him (or her) and the card palmed is scaled as far as you can (see Royal Road To Card Magic page 60) but:

* You cant look or everyone will follow your gaze.

* But you need to know where the card went so it doesnt get lost.

3 Some spectators may expect the chosen card to appear when the spectator finishes his count and at this point its important that you grab the moment before interest is lost. Taking out the piece of paper keeps the interest.

4 By again looking at the paper youre making this a Perverse Magic effect. Youre not saying how good you are but youre as puzzled as they are.

Note that here I used the card arrived at by counting to determine how many paces the spectator is to walk. I doesnt matter UNLESS the shown card is very low say a 2 (because if the number of paces is more than where the card is well they will find the card on the way). If the card is too low you can just look at the paper and tell the spectator to multiply it by five or something like that.

Its a great effect. In one case the card I tossed went under a sofa in the next room. It was a good thing I saw it go and it was a great effect! In another case I did the effect for a group of magicians leaving Tannens in the lobby of the building. The card went under the rubber beneath the revolving door of the building.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 1st, 2009, 6:53 am

Can You Make It A Hundred?

Effect

1 The three of us were paying for our meal in cash when one of my friends picked up a $10 bill that one of us placed on the table with the other bills and handed it to me and asked me if I could make it a hundred.

2 I shrugged and folded the bill in eighths (3 folds), placed it into my left hand, reached for a salt shaker on my right, sprinkled salt on my left hand and opened my left hand and and it was empty.

3 I was surprised and confused and said, Damn!

4 I reached into my left pocket. Nothing. My right pocket. Nothing. I stood up and reached into my back pocket. Nothing.

I reached again into my right pocket and removed a wallet which I put on the table and reached in again and pulled out my keys and finally I found the folded bill.

5 I shrugged, not understanding what happened and dropped the bill back on the pile with the others. I hate when that happens!!

Explanation

This really happened this month.

The numbers below correspond with the numbers above.

1 No comment

2 A I think many readers are familiar with David Roths Retention
Vanish (Expert Coin Magic) or A Coin Vanish by Dai Vernon (Greater Magic) or Bobo (Modern Coin Magic).

Thats what I do with the folded bill.

B However, as I reach for the salt shaker on my right, my right hand still holding the folded bill passes in an arc from my left hand to the salt shaker and as the hand is over my lap the bill is dropped (lapped).

C I sprinkle the salt over the left hand. Thats supposed to make the bill change to $100.

3, 5 This is the Perverse Magic presentation. Im surprised and confused at what is happening. (See this thread above December 2006 for Perverse Patter.)

4 I explained this production from my pocket back on this thread under Slydini Kills Time August 2008. Its based on using my body the way Slydini taught me.

I lean to my right as my left hand goes to my left pocket looking for the bill which lets my right hand drop naturally to my lap (and onto the bill).

Not finding the bill in my left pocket, my right hand now with the bill looks for it in my right trouser pocket and not finding it, leaves the bill and goes to my right rear pocket. Its not there either.

I go back to my right trouser pocket, showing my hand clearly empty and remove whatever is there except the bill.

Finally I produce the bill.

As Ive mentioned a few times on this thread, I think it was a Fred Braue idea that when my right hand with the bill goes into my pocket I leave the bill and remove something else that was in the pocket and THEN go back and remove the bill.

I hadnt planned to do anything but this one effect of Perverse Magic in response to one guys request to make it a hundred proved very effective

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 1st, 2009, 6:54 am

Spectator Cuts To Threes?

For Perverse Magic Ive liked the idea of saying Im going to cut to the four aces but
instead get, say, the 4 threes and look disgusted and frustrated.

(I published this in this Perverse Magic thread above on May 1, 2004.)

Ive always liked the effect of the spectator cutting the 4 aces and now Im thinking
it could be done with the Perverse Magic theme.

Effect

A The magician had been doing a trick with the four aces and at the conclusion he pulls out a ring made of a dollar bill and puts it on a womans finger saying he got it from a gambler and the wearer can be able to cut to the four aces.

He pulls out a piece of paper and studies it and nods.

He buries the four aces in the deck.

B He shuffles the deck and asks the spectator to cut off a small portion and put it on the table. She does.

C He tells her to do it again. She does.

D And again. She does.

E He shuffles the remaining cards and again asks her to cut. She does.

F The magician turns over the top card if each packet and and theyre not aces but threes. He takes out the piece of paper, reads it, and shakes his head confused and takes back the ring still shaking his head.

Discussion

I have seen and noted many, many methods for having the spectator cut to the 4
aces including, Poker Players Picnic, To Catch An Ace (Harry Lorayne has
six methods) etc, etc. One of my favorites is John Bannons on page 106 of Smoke
and Mirrors

I describe what Im talking about now. Note that the letters below correspond with
the letters above:

A Of course the 4 threes are on top of the deck to start. The four aces are cleanly buried in the deck. This will fool everyone expecting you to cut the aces.

B With the 4 threes are on top of the deck (of course unknown to the spectators):

(i) The top one is cut to the bottom

(ii) Lift up about 1/4th of the deck and slip cut the then top card onto the lower section.

(iii) Slip the now top card onto the lower packet but this time keep a break over this card with the right thumb and keep the packets separate.

(iv) Immediately separate the packets as you tell the spectator to cut off a small packet like this. You lift the top packet and extend the lower packet.

(v) The small packet she cuts has a three on top.

The other threes are now:

one on top of the packet in your right hand

one on the bottom of that packet separated by a brake over it with your right thumb and

a three on the bottom of the lower packet.

C The three that is on the bottom of the right hand packet under the thumb break must now be transferred to the top of the lower portion. I use the Slydini technique that he calls timing. John Bannon calls it SWAK Swindled With A Kiss.

With my right hand I gesture telling the spectator Put the packet there. and I point with my right hand holding the packet to a spot on the table and then I rest bringing the right packet to the left packet and release the three on the bottom.

I immediately extend my left hand and the lower packet to the spectator and
tell her to cut again. She does.

D I drop the right hand packet on the left and extend that to the spectator. I use my free right hand to straighten the piles on the table and then .

E I shuffle the three from the bottom to the top and again let the spectator cut

Good Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 1st, 2009, 6:23 am

Perverse Bill Flite

Effect

My client has taken out her wallet to pay the lunch check and I ask her if she has a one dollar and a ten dollar bill as I want to show her a new trick I just learned.

She smiles and gives me the two bills.

I fold the ten dollar bill into eighths (three folds) and give the one dollar bill back to her for her to fold it the same way. She does. I tell her to put it on the table.

I give her the ten dollar bill and tell her to hold it very tight and I put the one dollar bill in my left hand.

I take the wrist of her hand that is holding the ten dollar bill and I tell her when I say the magic word the bills will change places.

I say the magic word the name of her company - and tell her I now have the ten dollar bill but but when I open my hand its empty. I tell her to open her hand and she has both bills.

I shake my head in confusion!

Background

This is my Perverse Magic presentation of my friend Wesley James Bill Flite (Wesley has come up with so much good magic) but modified (i) to do the effect sit down and (ii) to have it presented as Perverse Magic.

Preparation

Have a one dollar bill folded in eighths on your lap.

Method

I fold the ten dollar bill first and then ask the spectator to fold the one dollar bill. While she is doing that I get the folded one dollar bill from my lap and add it to the ten dollar bill.

Of course both go into her hand.

(Like the sponge ball effect, I have her turn her closed hand palm down to avoid her prematurely opening her hand.)

To vanish the one dollar bill I use the retention vanish . (See Roth "Expert Coin Magic" page 7, Bobo, "Modern Coin Magic" page 29 and "Greater Magic" page 666) but as my right hand comes away from my left, it goes is sort of a U maybe in this case a J would be more accurate - and passes over my lap where the bill is dropped as my right hand continues to move to take her wrist.

(See this thread above September 2009 Can You Make It A Hundred?)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2009, 6:16 am

Paul Richards White Bikes

Background

I visited Fantasma Magic and my friend David Roth performed this for me and as I saw this effect as a candidate for a Perverse Magic presentation I bought it.

Since this is a dealers item I wont explain the method, only the effect with the Perverse Magic presentation I like.

Effect

1 The performer removes a single blue back card from his pocket and puts it face down on the table without showing its face as a prediction.

2 He then has a card selected from a red back deck and shows it matches his prediction.

See the cards match - well the faces do. This one has a blue back and the one you selected has ---- He turns over the selected card and instead of a red back it too has a blue back. He stops, confused,

3 He picks up the deck and sure enough it is a red back deck - as it was before.

4 He then turns the deck face up and and the entire deck is blank!!!

He shakes his head and puts the deck away, very confused.

Good Perverse Magic!

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2009, 6:17 am

The Magic Card

Effect

1 The magician has two cards chosen and shuffled into the deck.

2 He explains to the group that he just spent a lot of money for a special card that is supposed to be able to find selected cards.

He removes a card from his pocket (thats from another deck and is a different color from the deck he was using) but doesnt show the face.

He puts the card on top of the deck and it vanishes.

3 He spreads the deck and shows the magic card is in the center of the deck. He hands the top half of the deck to a spectator to hold and puts the magic card on the bottom of the packet he holds but leaves it protruding.

He turns over the top card of the lower packet where the magic card went and its one of the chosen cards. Lets say its the 4H. The magician deals it face down on another spectators hand.

4 The crazy thing is, he says, is that the magic card is also the 4H. He shows it is.

5 Whats even weirder, he says, is that if I touch the magic card to your selected card he does, it changes to the other chosen card. What was the other card? The spectator says KH.

The magician turns over the card that had just been the 4H and shows that it is now the KH. Isnt that weird? I really dont understand it.

6 But you know whats even weirder? he asks. If I again touch the magic card to the KH it changes to the KH too!

It cost a lot of money for this stupid magic card but I guess it was worth it.

Background

Harry Lorayne published Color Quickie in his book Personal Secrets. Harry
also published David Regals Joker Color Quickie in the February 1991 issue of
Apocalypse and I gave Harry this Variation or Addition which Harry published
in the August 1991 issue.

The effect leads itself to a Perverse Magic presentation the sixth category the
magician doesnt understand why, what happens, happens.

The Routine

The numbers below correspond with the numbers above:

1 I generally carry a few cards with me, one from a red deck and one from a blue deck.

If Im going to do the effect I use the card of the opposite color from the color of the deck I am using.

I force the duplicate of the magic card I will be using and the second card is a free choice.

The cards are controlled so that the duplicate of the magic card(here the KH) is on top and the freely chosen card (here the 4H) is second from the top.

2 A classic pass creates the illusion of the magic card visibly vanishing.

3 A double lift shows the freely selected card.

4 As the top card (the KH that the spectators think is the 4H) is dealt on the spectators hand, a break is taken under the top card. The magic card is put on top and double lift is performed showing the KH.

5,6 No comment needed.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » December 1st, 2009, 6:33 am

CASCADE

This is one of my favorite packet tricks. It belongs to Roy Walton (who has come up with so many great effects).

I wont explain the routine here because it is currently being marketed (for I believe something like $5 well worth it) but I will explain my Perverse Magic presentation (again, I believe presentation to be the most important part of any effect).

Also Id like to explain that I use regular cards not blank cards as suggested when you purchase the routine.

And most important at the end of the effect the cards are dropped on the table. They can be freely examined! Something I think important in a packet trick.

Effect and Presentation

1 Its really hard to learn some of these routines, says the magician as he takes out a packet of cards.

Look, heres a new one. Its done with 4 Ace of Diamonds (AD).

2 If I turn one AD face down, they all turn face down.

3 If I turn one AD face up, they all turn face up.

4 It gets monotonous but if I turn one AD face down, they all turn face down.

5 If I remove one AD and put it in my pocket, it comes back. See, 3 are face down and one is face up.

6 But its so confusing and hard to learn. Look, actually there are 2 face up and 2 face down.

7 But what really confuses me is that only 2 are AD and the other 2 are well the 7C and the KS. And the aces are from a different deck. I have to look at the instructions again, says the magician as he drops the packet on the table.

One of my favorite packet tricks and great Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » December 1st, 2009, 6:33 am

Unusual Objects Unusual Places - Rocks

Producing unusual and unexpected objects at unusual places can be very amusing and a rock is such an object. And depending on the size, a rock can be easily palmed.

Ive noted effects with rocks before on this thread (see above Rocks In Shoe February 2004, Perverse Rock February 2006)

But there are unlimited ideas that can be done as Perverse Magic with rocks and some others that come to mind are:

1 The Color Changing Grape (Olive etc etc)

At a dinner table when asked to do an effect you ask a spectator to put a grape or an olive in your left hand and you tell the group that you are going to make it change color.

You drop the grape into your right fist and when you open your right fist a rock falls to the table.

You shake your head in confusion.

Notes

A Of course the rock is on your lap at the beginning. When you reach out to allow the spectator to put the grape in your left hand, the right hand drops naturally to your lap and rests on the rock.

B The change is made by (i) performing Slydinis Revolve Vanish with the left hand (ii) which opens as it comes to rest on top of the right fist and (iii) then, simultaneously (y) lifting the left hand off the right fist and (z) opening the right fist letting the rock fall to the table.

C Use the right height from which to drop the rock you dont want to damage the table.

D Note that I dont say Im going to change the grape into an apple etc. With Perverse Magic, as Ive said before, what you say will happen cant be as strong as what does actually happen and I think a change in size is stronger than just a change in color.

E By using a Perverse Magic effect, (i) you can get out of doing more magic by pretending utter confusion and (ii) as so magicians do,
avoid doing too much and wind up boring some people at the dinner.

2 The Cough

A rock is palmed in the right hand and the magician starts to cough violently and , as is done when one coughs, his cupped right hand is brought to his mouth and when it comes away there is a large rock in his hand much to the confusion of the magician.

Notes:

A Of course good judgment will dictate when and where its appropriate to do this.

I mentioned in another thread on this forum that I did this once at a clients office and left the rock on the receptionists desk and the next time I called that office the receptionist started laughing uncontrollably when she recognized my voice.

B Its probably less dignified to use a sneeze instead of a cough

3 In The Woods

Of course woods are where rocks are found and Ive used this on occasion. Ill pick up various rocks as if Im looking for one in particular and finally I say, This is one! and I change the rock into a quarter and pocket the quarter.

Notes:

A This would be the sixth category of Perverse Magic the magician just doesnt understand why or how something happens. No Ta da!

B The change is one taught to me by my friend Sol Stone. The quarter is classic palmed in the left hand. The rock is taken in the right hand and the French Drop is done and when the left hand is open the coin is shown

The rock is dropped in the woods no clean up needed (note cant be done this way indoors.)

There are so many more things that can be done with rocks or other Unusual Objects (think sock see this thread above June 2009)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » January 1st, 2010, 7:44 am

Classic Palm, Finger Palm, Rear right Pocket Part 2 (See this thread January 2009)

I had discussed above that because I developed a Trigger Finger I could not perform the Classic Palm with coins (which, as is explained in Bobo, is pressed into the palm but the second and third finger (thats the middle and ring fingers).

In January 2009, when I discussed this I said that I expect that I will get rid of my Trigger Finger soon. That hasnt happened.

So I decided to relearn the Classic Palm and learn to put the coin into my palm using ONLY my middle finger as its my ring finger that is affected by my problem.

Well, its working and Im again able to do coin effects I couldnt do because of my trigger finger.

But thats only with quarters and half dollars. I still cant Classic Palm a dime.

Back on this thread October 1, 2007, I described Copper-Silver With a Dime and a Penny and in the explanation I used the Classic Palm which I now have modified because of my Trigger Finger as follows

1 I have an extra dime classic palmed in my right hand.

The dime is place there with my left hand at the beginning no problem.

2 When the spectator shows me the dime and penny I take the dime and toss it from my right hand to my left. I then take the penny and as I toss it to my left hand I perform the Bobo Switch so that my left hand now has two dimes and the penny is secretly in my right hand.

3 I get the penny into the classic palm in my right hand as I give the two coins to the spectator without letter her see them.

I keep the penny in finger palm.

4 I close her hand with both hands the right, of course has the penny classic palmed. I then turn her hand palm down so that she wont open her hand.
5 The spectator has two coins both dimes - but believes she is holding the dime and the penny. She will not be conscious of the difference in size between the two coins.

6 I ask the spectator to reach into her closed fist with the thumb and forefinger of her other hand and bring out one coin. Whichever she gives me it will, of course, be a dime.

7 I show the dime and again perform the Bobo Switch changing the dime to the penny and as I do I move my left hand forward and my right hand back and classic palm the dime.

I keep the dime in my hand.

I tell the spectator to open her hand and when she does she has the dime.

When the spectator opens her hand everyone is looking at her hand and (i) I extend my left hand with the penny and my right hand goes to my back pocket and drops in the dime.

8 I return the borrowed coins.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » January 1st, 2010, 7:45 am

The Jinx Card

Back on this thread on March 1, 2008, I referred to this effect (based on Clayton Rawsons (Merlini) effect in the July 1950 issue of Hugards Magic Monthly) and lately Ive been doing this as a close up impromptu effect that can be done with a borrowed deck. And so I decided to describe Merlinis effect here but with my variations and changes.

Effect

1 The magician explains that hes going to do a great card trick and asks a spectator to select a card. I just hope you didnt take the 4H because that card has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. The spectator smiles and shows thats exactly the card he took.

The magician seems a bit upset and has the spectator replace the card into the deck and the magician shuffles the deck.

2 The magician has the spectator take another card and the spectator smiles as he again has taken the 4H

The magician is getting upset as he again has the spectator replace the card.

3 Please take another card and please make sure its not the 4H. Did you? Its not the 4H? Good. Put it back in the deck and Ill mix the cards. Now Ill cut right to your card. What was it? The JC? Good watch.

The magician cuts the cards but cuts to the 4H.

4 Upset and frustrated, he turns the 4H face down and deals it onto the table Let me spell your card. Watch. He spells J-A-C-KO-F- C-L-U-B-S and the last card is the 4H! The magician turns over the card on the table and its the JC! He scratches his head in confusion.

5 Again he deals the 4H to the table and says hell do a trick with the JC. He says that he will put the JC face down into the deck and make it turn face up. As he demonstrates this he turns the JC face up in his hand and and its the 4H!

He turns over the card on the table and its the Joker!

6 The magician puts the Joker on the bottom of the deck and cuts the deck and
says he will make the Joker turn face up. When he spreads the deck it is the
4H thats face up.
7 In desperation the magician says that he gives up that he will do a trick with the 4H. He cuts the deck into 4 piles and tells the spectator the 4H will be on top of whatever pile is selected

But its not. Its not on the top of any pile. Its not in the deck. Confused, the magician looks in his pockets and finally finds the 4H in his rear right pocket.

He quits in frustration.

Preparation

I use a small spot card that can easily be remembered which I cut to the top
Below it is the Joker. If there is no Joker I use the AS. That is second from the top.

Method

The numbers below refer to the numbers above.

1, 2 Of course the card is forced.

3 A free choice is allowed (here the JC) and that card is controlled to the top. Beneath the JC is the 4H and beneath that the Joker (or AS).

A double lift reveals the 4H

4 Of course the JC goes face down onto the table and the 4H is on top with the Joker beneath it.

I then run the top 2 cards, reversing their order so that the Joker is on top and the 4H under that.

I then shuffle the deck, running one card for each letter of the JC. (Some may find it easier to shuffle face up, running one card from the right hand into the left and then dropping the deck on the run cards.)

I spell JC, dealing one card for each letter and at the end I show 4H by doing a double lift.

5 Turn the card(s) face down and deal the top (Joker) face down to table.

Both the JC and the Joker are on the table (the JC face up and the Joker which they think is the 4H - face down) and the deck is in the left hand with the 4H on top. While attention is on the cards on the table, I push off the 4H against my left thigh and have it turn face up on top of the deck. (See Royal Road To Card Magic page 189.)

The JC is put face up on top of the deck but it goes on the face up 4H

The two cards are turned over as one.

The top card the 4H which they believe is the JC is taken face down in the right hand and you day youre going to put it into the deck and make it turn face up and as you say face up you turn over the card to show- to your surprise that its the 4H.

The 4H is put face down on the top of the deck as you turn over the card on the table to show the Joker.

6 A break is held under the top card, the 4H

The Joker is put face up on the deck and both cards, the face up Joker and the face down 4H are picked off the deck with the right fingers and thumb on the small sides of the card(s).

The left thumb goes under the deck and turns it face up.

The card(s) are placed on the bottom of the deck and the deck is cut.

The deck is turned face down and spread and the 4H shows face up.

7 The deck is shuffled with the 4H remaining on top and them palmed into the right hand as the deck is cut into four piles.

As the spectator is given a choice of piles, BOTH hands go into your rear pockets and the right hand leaves the 4H.

Ive always maintained that in Perverse Magic what you say will happen cant be stronger than what does happen and that rule has not been violated here.

To quote Merlini, in his write up of the effect, For our money, one of the best plots on which to hang a sequence of magical effects is the perverse magic theme. The performers magic gets out of control, goes haywire, and produces miracles the magician not only hasnt ordered but doesnt want and tries vainly to avoid.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 1st, 2010, 6:48 am

How Do You Do That?

This is asked of every close up performer (a stage performer doesnt usually speak to his audience) and the answer is often an arrogant one.

Some say very well and others make a joke - like Can you keep a secret? and when the spectator says yes the performer says, So can I.

With Perverse Magic, however, the performer can be and is just as confused if not more - than the spectator.

He looks confused, scratches his head, and says, I really dont know.

It can bring the performer and the audience closer.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 1st, 2010, 6:49 am

4 Effects With Borrowed Bills
Ten To Five/ Mismade Bill / Can I Buy That Dollar/Coin From Bill

Background

Jean Hugard said in Money Magic (1937):

While the progress of a magical routine with some other object may be regarded by some with lackluster eyes, the adventures and particularly the misadventures of somebodys money will cause everyone to sit up and take notice.

I published 20 to One on this thread on October 1, 2008 and these are a very similar effects but (i) with different methods and (ii) done seated at a dinner table - - where much of my magic is done.

At the end of the 20 to One write-up I expressed my feelings about the $100 Bill Switch and I said that I felt that once the bill is changed it shouldnt be changed back as that would be an anti climax. I continue to feel that presentation is the most important ingredient of a magic performance and an anti climax should always be avoided.

Here are three bill changes that have two types of Perverse Magic presentations, Ten To Five and Mismade Bill have the second type and Can I Buy That Dollar has the fifth type as explained below.

(Also note Can You Make It A Hundred on this thread September 1, 2009. A similar premise with a different result.)

Ten To Five

Effect

1 If you give me a $10 bill Ill make it a $20, says the magician to his friend sitting across from him. The magicians wife, sitting next to him nods to the friends wife sitting across from her, seeming to say, Here we go again.

But the friend gives the magician a $10 bill.

2 The magician folds the bill into eighths (3 folds), holds it in his left hand, sprinkles salt on the bill, covers it with his right hand and presses his hands together. He removes his right hand and and its still a $10 bill.

Again he pours salt, covers the bill with his right hand but again nothing happens.

3 He tries a third time but this time he lets the friends wife sprinkle the salt
and this time when he separates his hands the $10 bill did change but not to a $20 to a $5.

I hate when that happens, says the magician as he gives the five to the friend and pulls out his wallet to remove another $5 which he also gives the friend.

Preparation

A $5 folded in eighths on your lap and another $5 in your wallet

Method

The numbers below correspond with the numbers under Effect

1,2 No comment

3 As the left hand with the folded $10 is extended to the friends wife, your right hand gets the folded $5 from your lap in thumb palm position.

The hands come together as in the sleeving move but instead of the folded $10 going into your sleeve it goes into your lap. Your right forearm covers this.

See this thread above December 2006 Perverse Patter.

Mismade Bill

This makes use of the Mismade Bill that is, the dollar bill that is printed wrong that can be purchased at magic shops (or, as I understand, if needed in large quantities from the US Treasury and cut by the magician as needed)

The presentation shown here and the method for the change is a bit different than for Ten To Five.

Effect

1 Sweetie, show my friends and their guys a trick, says his girlfriend as the three couples were finishing dinner. Okay, said the magician, I just learned this last week. I really should practice it first but Ill try. Can someone give me a dollar bill and Ill make it into a five,

Someone does indeed give the magician a one dollar bill and the magician starts to fold it up saying, I think this is right, as he tries to remember how to do the trick.

2 Hold out your hand, he says to one of the women and he puts the folded bill in her hand and tells her to close her hand. He snaps the fingers of both hands over her closed hand and says, I think that does it. You see, the molecules have to be reassembled into a five dollar bill.

3 I think that does it, he says, Open your hand. She does and the magician looks confused as he begins to open the bill. I think I did something wrong, he says as the bill he opens is mismade that is, the quarters have been assembled wrong. Oh darn! I must have done something wrong.

4 He takes back the mismade bill and returns another bill to the lender.

Preparation

The preparation of course is having the mismade bill folded into eighths on your lap
during dinner.

If your girlfriend (wife- though a wife is less likely to ask) doesnt ask you to do a
trick, if you see the opportunity you can say something like, I learned a new trick
today. I really should have practiced but can I try it?

Method

1 When you get the bill you fold it, into eighths and give it to a spectator on your left to press tightly and as she does, pick up the mismade bill in your lap in your right hand between the thumb and fingers covering the bill.

You hold out your left hand and the spectator puts the bill on your left palm,

2 You now bring your right hand to your left to take the bill but instead you press the mismade bill thats in your right hand against the borrowed bill in your left palm and both hands turn.

The right hand turns and brings the mismade bill into view and the left hand turns to rest letting the borrowed bill fall to the lap.

By snapping the fingers of both hands over the spectators hand you are showing both hands empty without saying a word.

3 No comment just act confused Its Perverse Magic of the second category the magician says one thing will happen but something else does. Acting is important here as it is with most magic.

4 Your wallet is in your left rear pocket. You lean to the left and got to your right rear pocket while your left hand drops to your lap and gets the borrowed bill. You then realize your mistake and lean to the right with the left hand going to your rear pocket (i) leaving the bill and (ii) bringing out the wallet. Return another bill to the lender.

Both of these effects are in the 2nd category of Perverse Magic the performer says
one thing will happen but something else does.

Can I Buy That Dollar?

In this presentation a dollar bill is changed to a five dollar bill. The set up again is the same with the $5 bill being on your lap at the start.

My friend Rene Clement came up with this ingenious presentation idea. His thought was that if you borrowed a bill then whatever you did with it, it still belonged to the spectator so his solution was to look at the bill carefully or in such a way that we wants that bill. Then he offers to buy the dollar bill from the spectator for say $1.25.

I do this in a way that it fits into the 5th category of Perverse Magic the performer and the audience are on different planes.

What I do is pretend to notice a particular dollar bill in a spectators wallet while at dinner and I get very excited and ask if they will sell that particular bill for $1.25 and then say I read about this if you put salt on this type of bill and press yes it becomes a $5.

Again, Im not saying how good I am Im just doing something I read about.

All of this is Perverse Magic. Instead of the magician bragging, he acts like hes a failure as he has to give back a $5 or a single from his wallet. Or he just explains something about a particular bill that the spectator has. And all presentations are entertaining.

Good Perverse Magic!

dlfodness

Postby dlfodness » February 4th, 2010, 10:53 am

Gerald,

Thank you so very much for your continued sharing of "Perverse Magic!" I look forward to it every month!

A question -- in your most recent offering, you listed a "Coin from Bill" effect, but it wasn't described. Is this item coming next month, or did I miss something?

Keep up the great work!

Dean

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 4th, 2010, 11:08 am

Sorry.

I decided to post the Coins From Bill as a separate item which is scheduled to be posted in June.

Jerry Deutsch

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 4th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Ah, okay - I was thinking you were refering to an item of Bill Duncan's titled Coin from Bill.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 1st, 2010, 6:35 am

Name That Card

I have always felt that presentation of an effect was as important if not more important that the effect itself. We are not real magicians we are entertainers and we must entertain.

Perverse Magic is a form of magic that can be very entertaining. It takes away the arrogance that some magicians project and puts the magician with his audience against the forces that make all this happen.

Even in those situations where things dont go off by themselves but go the way the magician expects, the magician can be puzzled as to why or he can see things differently than the spectators what I call Whimsical Perverse Magic. (See above for The Pen Coin Routine 11/23/03, Gizinta Coins 12/23/03 Invisible Card 5/1/09 etc) Whimsical Perverse Magic also includes the situation where things that happen that the magician expects to happen but he just doesnt understand why (See Rocks in Shoe 2/1/04 and the trick that follows this Perverse Color Changing Deck).

This is another example of this type of magic.

Mike Gancia has this in the book The Best of Close Up Magic by Walt Lees

The effect as described there is that a card is selected and lost in the deck and then the magician fails in trying to find the card until finally, he asks the spectator to name the card which is removed from the deck and then the magician shows that the spectators name is written on the back of the card. The contributor points out that this is stronger if you dont know the spectator.

What I dont like about this presentation is that I dont like showing what is just a failure (not like Perverse failure where, say, when you keep getting the wrong card its the SAME wrong card see the various Ambitions Card routines in this thread above or where you try to cut the four aces but you cut, instead the four threes see May 1, 2004 and September 1, 2009.)

When you just get the wrong card and it looks like you missed you may lose the attention of your audience UNLESS YOU VERY QUICKLY GET THEM BACK. I made this point on this thread back on October 1, 2004 with the Perverse Signed Card To Pocket. Its very important.

But I do like the idea of the spectators name on the back of the selected card especially if you dont know the spectator.

What I like is finding out the spectators name and writing it on the back of a card. Then, in the course of doing some card tricks (not just this one) you introduce that card and bring it to the bottom and using the Hindu Shuffle force you have that spectator just think of a card when he says stop. Shuffle the deck and then spread the pack with the faces to the spectator and from the back, seeing his signature, pull out that card. Hes impressed you found his card.

I dont understand how this works but its not hard to do. Look, somehow this is the only card with your name on it. Shake your head. Isnt that weird? I dont understand this at all.

And, of course, you let her keep the card.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 1st, 2010, 6:37 am

Perverse Color Changing Deck

Background

I bought Richard Kaufmans book Knack Magic Tricks. Its a well written, beautiful book with great pictures (including some of Richards adorable daughter Emma). Theres a trick in that book called Color Changing Deck which Richard credits to Wayne Dobson which I liked and thought it could well be presented as Perverse Magic and Richard gave me permission to post it here.

I made some changes in the handling given by Richard so that the effect could be more easily done stand up - in a walk around setting.

Effect

1 After doing a strong effect, the performer reaches into his pocket for a piece of paper which he consult and tells his audience that he just got a new trick which is a bit confusing but hes going to try it.

2 He has a woman select a card and, without looking at it, he has her keep it face down on her hand.

3 He explains that this new trick causes the cards arrange themselves so that the mate of the card you chose will well, let me show you. Your name is Joan? So if I spell J-O-A-N he does, pulling one card from the bottom of the face up deck (the top card if the deck was face down) and if I turn over the next card see? Its the 8C. Now look the card you chose before is --- he turns over the card---the 8S

4 He looks at the paper again. What confuses me though is well the matching cards are blue back and I thought this whole deck was blue back but but look now its red back! Thats why its so confusing!

Method

1 This should not be the first trick but should follow a trick that shows the backs of the deck. I might suggest All Backs (see this thread January 7, 2004).

Of course the decks are switched but this is an easy way to accomplish that switch. In your right jacket pocket is the deck for the Perverse Color Changing Deck. Its a red back deck with a blue 8C and 8S on top and in your left pocket is the paper with instructions.

Your right hand goes into the right pocket with the blue back deck first and then the left hand goes into the left pocket. The left hand comes out first with the instructions and then the right hand comes out with the switched deck.

2 Richard suggests a variation of the Chris Cross force which he calls the X-Force which is very nice with the cards in an X instead of the traditional + but for stand up I use the Hindu Shuffle Force (which Richard also explains in the book). This is used to force the top blue back card.

As the card is dealt off the deck the second blue back card is shown reinforcing the idea that the deck is blue back. And as the audience has seen another trick before here All Backs theres no reason for them to feel otherwise.

The face of the forced card is not shown and the card is put face down on the womans hand.

3 I changed this part of the trick and I spell the womans (I like this best with a woman spectator) name.

What I do remember that the second blue back card is on top of the deck and the deck is held face up is to ask for the womans name and then run cards from the top of the face up deck (again the bottom card if the deck was face down) singly into my left hand with one card run for each letter of her name. and then drop the face up deck on top of these cards so that, if the deck was face down and you spelled the spectators name, the next card would be the blue back card.

But you cant turn the deck face down or you would expose the red back card so just keep the deck face up and pull cards from the top (bottom card of the face up deck) spelling her name. Put these cards (keeping them face up) on the womans other hand. When done, take the cards spelled from the womans hand and put it on the face of the deck and pull out the next card the 8S.

Turn over the face down card that, under step 2 above was put on the womans hand and show they match.

(Instead of the shuffle and running the cards singly you can just use The Glide but I prefer the shuffle.)

4 No comment needed.

Notes

1 Another example of the 6th category of Perverse Magic (see this thread above December 1, 2005).

2 For close up walk around All Backs and this Perverse Color Changing Deck may be enough for that audience and you can go to another group but I dont like All Backs to start.

When I described my All Backs Routine (This thread above January 2004) I mentioned that I do this when handed a deck of cards so that I have a reason to be surprised. Thats not as strong when its your deck but it works. I just dont think it should be an opening trick when youre doing walk around and so I might start with a few very short coin effects (I would use Progressive Production see above November 2004 and a quick Coins Across in a womans hand.)

In this setting it might be a good idea to have several pairs of blue mates in the event someone happens to see this performed by you more than once at that gathering.

3 I posted several Color Changing Card and Color Changing Deck routines on this thread back in January 2007. Also see White Bikes November 2009 above.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » April 1st, 2010, 7:26 am

Invisible Rings and Things

Invisible objects are useful in Perverse Magic effects especially the whimsical class of Perverse Magic. Some examples:

1 David Roth Legendary Coin Trick

The effect here is that David counts an invisible coin repeatedly as if it was visible and could be seen by all.

(See this thread above December 1, 2005.)

2 The Invisible Deck

This effect is known to all. I suggest that for Perverse Magic the deck suddenly and unexpectedly become visible to the surprise of the magician who then finds the named card reversed and visible and is confused by it all.

3 The Invisible Dice

See Dice Caper above April 1, 2005 which describes my routine where dice become invisible, visible and change color and size.

4 The Invisible Card

I described this in the January 1993 issue of Apocalypse (page 2171), and in this thread above on May 1, 2009. This effect was inspired by my friend Mark Sicher. The effect is:

* A spectator is asked to name a card.
* The magician says the card has become invisible and shows there is no visible card of that suit and value in the deck.
* The magician then puts the invisible card in the center of the deck and it comes to the top. The audience thinks the magician has flipped his lid.
* The magician continues doing stuff with his invisible card, making it levitate and then pass through his left trouser pocket and then his right trouser pocket.
* The magician is upset, however, when he pulls the invisible card out of his right trouser pocket because it has turned visible and the spectators now see the card originally named but a spectator being produced from the magicians pocket.

5 Card On Spectators Chair

I described this in this thread above on September 1, 2007. The effect was that a spectator selected a card and I needed help and asked what value his card was and then I removed all four cards of that value and tried to make his card come to the top but it vanished from the pile and the spectator was sitting on it.

I attended a lecture by John Luca and among the effects he demonstrated was his Wow Revisited (which also appears in his book Uncovered.)

In his routine he too has a selected card among three others and he makes the selected card invisible. (He lets a spectator choose which of the four cards is the selection and then he makes it invisible.)

(There are, like in my effect, only 3 cards). He then deals the three cards one at a time but when he comes to the number selected (say two) he deals an invisible card to the table.

The way I would present this would be as an alternative presentation for the Card On Spectators Chair. Something like this:

* After showing the 3 cards as 4 (Elmsley) I would ask the spectator which one it was.

* When he told me I would look and become upset. Oh darn! Your card became invisible. I hate when that happens. Look.

* I would then deal the 4 cards on the table a visible card, the invisible card and then the 2 visible card. The spectators card isnt visible.

* I would hand the invisible card to the spectator and tell him that if he sits on the card it will become visible.

* He does and it does and I just dont understand why or how.

6 The Invisible Ring

I described two versions of this in Apocalypse, one in the May 1989 issue (page 1637) and one in the October 1994 issue (page 2421).

Let me now describe a third, a Perverse Magic routine.

Effect:

1 At dinner you see a ring on a woman across from you (your friends date? be careful she may like you after this) and you ask her if you can see it. If she gives you her hand (again be careful not only about your friend but your date too) ask her to remove the ring.

When she does you sprinkle salt on it explaining that many people dont realize it but salt cleans jewelry.

2 Something is wrong when you open your hand the ring is gone.

You explain that its not gone it just became invisible too much salt will do that you know.

3 Put the invisible ring down and bring the pepper shaker closer to you and then again pick up the invisible ring and put it in your left hand and sprinkle pepper.

But when you open your hand its a key. You look confused.

4 Then you explain that theres a lot of invisible stuff on the table as you scoop it up and put it all in your pocket.

5 Now you seem to see the invisible ring on the table. You get it, sprinkle salt and its a ring made up of a paper clip. Youre befuddled.

6 You shake your head and then sprinkle pepper into your pocket and pull out the ring. You apologize and return it.

How

The numbers below correspond with the numbers above

1-2 Of course the Revolve vanish makes the ring invisible not the salt.

(I use salt often to make it happen. Its like a magic wand but you can do things as you reach for the salt shaker.)

(Caution it may be a valuable ring or she may say it is so when you lap it be sure it doesnt fall on the floor.)

3 You have a key on your right thigh from the beginning which you classic palm. You pretend to pick up the invisible ring with your right hand and toss it to your left but, in effect, you toss the key.

4 You pick up the ring from your lap with your right hand as your left hand scoops stuff from the table into your right. Your right hand puts all the stuff into your right pocket and palms the paper clip ring thats in your pocket.

Know your audience. You dont want a woman that says Thats nice. It looks just like my ring. Now wheres my ring?

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » May 1st, 2010, 6:51 am

Perverse Card in Shoe

This is a bit like my Card on Ceiling routine (see above , this thread, March 7, 2004) in that it is a four card discovery with only one card having been selected (and therefore, only one card having to be remembered)

As noted in the Card on Ceiling routine, when finding the first wrong card, it must be the same value but a different color than the selected card so that the spectators wont think that THEY made the mistake and that perhaps the wrong card found WAS their card.

The effect is as follows:

1 A card is selected and shuffled back into the pack say the 4C
2 The magician tries to find the card by spelling it taking one card for each letter but when hes done he has the 4H
3 He shuffles the deck and says the 4C will rise from the deck but it is the 4S that rises.
4 He says hes not so good with sleight of hand so he will try sleight of foot. He puts the deck on the floor and stamps his foot on the spread cards and when he lifts his foot he shows the 4D attached to his sole.
5 He tries again but this time when he stamps his foot nothing. He stamps hard again and seems to feel something and when he takes off his shoe, much to his confusion there is the selected 4C inside.

Preparation is as follows:

1 Duplicate 4C I left shoe
2 4D taped to bottom of left shoe
3 Deck set as follows:
* 4C on top
* 4H in spell position for 4C after the 4C
* 4S under 4H

To Perform: (The numbers below correspond to the numbers under the effect above.)

1 Get a break under the 4C and cut to center and the do Riffle Force and lift top portion after spectator says Stop.

(I usually do the Classic Force but here, where you dont want to take a chance on missing, Im suggesting a more sure force.)

Replace top portion keeping break and cut 4C to bottom

2 Spell 4C and show 4H and remove from deck.

3 Cut 4C from bottom to top.

Youre now going to perform the plunger rising card which I find the most effective for close up: (see this thread above January 1, 2008)

* Do an overhand shuffle by undercutting half injogging the first and shuffling off.

* Undercut at injog and make a LARGE injog of the next card (the 4C). run the next card (the 4S) and another LARGE injog of the next (indifferent card) and shuffle off.

* Straighten out the deck concealing the two injogged cards by holding the deck in the right fist with the top half of the deck protruding from the fist.

* The left hand comes to the back of the deck, the left thumb touching the top of the right thumb, the left index finger touching the top of the right index finger and the left pinky touching the short edge of the protruding injogged cards.

* By pushing the left pinky against the injogged cards the card between them (the 4S) will rise from the deck.

This plunger method was originated by Jack McMillan but I like
the idea of using an overhand shuffle to position the deck.

4 Saying that youre having no luck with sleight of hand, youll try sleight of foot, you put the deck on the floor and spread it and then stamp on the cards with your left foot. Raise your foot and show the 4D

5 With disgust but with determination you say youll try again. You stamp your foot again on the cards and nothing.

You try one more time and stamp really hard and look like youre in pain
and remove your shoe by lifting your left leg and using your right hand holding the heel of the shoe you pull it from your foot. You notice the card inside and puzzled, you show it to the audience and then slowly remove it showing the selected card.

As with most Perverse Magic you are then confused.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2010, 6:06 am

Coins From Bill

The young magician sees a young woman eating lunch at a table in the school cafeteria and next to the woman is some change, including some dollar bills. The magician goes over and asks if he can see a particular bill and when the woman agrees, he picks it up and seems excited as he sees something on the bill. Wow! Ive been looking for a bill like this. And he folds the bill into a cone and from the cone he pulls out a half dollar. The young magician is excited as he again reaches into the cone and pulls out a second half dollar.

Will you take the half dollars for the bill? he asks the young woman and, with a smile, she agrees. The magician again folds the bill into a cone and a third half dollar drops out as the cone is tilted which he puts in his pocket. The young woman is intrigued and they discuss this later on their first date.

This is my suggested Perverse presentation of John Carneys The Logical Bill Trick from John Carneys Carneycopia (page 141) which I think is a great effect.

I have simplified the effect which doesnt have the strong climax of the change to the five dollar bill but does have the production of the three half dollars from the innocent looking bill.

This simplified version is as follows:

1 3 half dollars are classic palmed in the right hand with the outer one
injogged forward (so that when I release my grip slightly only that coin will fall) .

2 I hold the borrowed bill in both hands as I speak (which gives the impression
that both hands are empty) and then I take the bill in my left hand and show
it as my right hand drops to my side and lets the injogged half dollar fall to
my right fingertips.

3 I put the bill on my right fingertips covering the coin which is at the back left
hand corner of the bill.

4 I hold the bill (and coin) with my right thumb on top and my right first and
second fingers below. And I roll the bill into a cone by taking the left outer
end of the bill with my left thumb on the bottom and my left fingers on top
and fold the bill under as my right hand turns palm down. I leave the coin in
the cone which is held in the left hand as my right hand drops to my side

5 My right fingers move the outermost of the two coins to the side a bit and
then relaxes a bit letting that coin fall to the fingertips.

6 I move my right hand into to cone (letting my right thumb hold the coin
against my right fingertips) and then I first produce that coin from the cone and put it on the table.

7 I tip the cone and the second coin falls out.

8 After trading the 2 half dollars for the bill, I let the last coin fall to my right fingertips and I put the bill on it and again fold it into a cone with the coin inside pour out the third coin.

This is the 6th category of Perverse Magic - see above 12/1/05 - it was her
particular bill not me and Im thrilled that she traded me the bill for the coins..

Note: Roger Klause published his Full Value in the New York Magic Symposium Collection 3 (page 125) the effect being that 2 half dollars come from a folded bill. .Mr. Klause credits Jerry Andrus Dollar Bill Delusion as part of the history of this.

Also see Milbourne Christopher Silver Lining Bobo page 387.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » July 1st, 2010, 5:54 am

A Sock Trick

This is good primarily for children.

Effect

The magician tells the audience that hes going to show them a card trick that he just bought that they told him has a sock finish and to explain he hits his right fist to his left palm.

He takes a deck of cards out of a paper bag and has a card selected and shuffled back into the deck and he then drops the deck into the paper bag, saying he will pull out the selected card. He tries, but fails, pulling out the wrong card. He tries again and again has the wrong card. He tries one more time but this time, instead of pulling out a card he pulls out a sock! He looks very confused.

He looks even more confused when he looks down and sees that his left sock his missing. He shakes his head in puzzlement and reaches into the sock and finds the selected card and scratches his head.

Background

There was a trick on the market years ago where a magician told the audience he was going to show them a real sock trick and then changes a handkerchief to a sock.

Back in the March 1946 issue of Hugards Magic Monthly, Milbourne Christopher published Card in the Bag in which, like here, a card is selected, shuffled back into the deck and the deck dropped into a paper bag and when the magician reaches in to the bag to try to find the selected card he comes out instead with a jumbo card the same value and suit as the selected card.

I contributed this effect to Jim Kleins Magicians Home Companion in 1994.

Further Comments

1 Of course the card is forced and shuffled back into the deck. There is no need to control the card but care must be taken when pulling cards from the bag that the selected card is not taken.

2 A duplicate of the forced card is in a duplicate of the sock you are wearing.

(You should remove your left sock before the show. It is better to use a third sock rather than the one you are wearing which might be sweaty by the time the show goes on.)

3 The loaded sock AND THE DECK OF CARDS is in the bag. By having the deck in the bag as well as the sock the bag will not be expected to lay flat which it would if it was empty.

4 One final point. In a normal card trick the magician would ask for the name of the selected card and the say, in effect, Ta Da and produce the card. But not here. When the sock is produced the performer is confused and more confused when the selected card is in the sock.

The point is that when the sock is produced you dont ask for the name of the card you feel it in the sock and pull it out confused.

And since youve been asking for the name of the card when you produced the first wrong one and named it each time youve tried they will know and remember that card.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 1st, 2010, 6:46 am

Card Confusion

Effect

1 The performer has a woman select a card and, without looking at it, to put it under her and sit on it.

2 The magician says he thinks hes learned to look through the deck to determine the card. He pulls out a piece of paper and looks at it to remember how to do this. He then goes through the deck and pulls out three small packets of cards.

3 He turns the top card of each packet face up and one tells him the color of the card, the next the suit and the third the value and he then announces the card.

Each packet is dropped on the one before so there is one packet.

The woman gets up and brings out the card and and its wrong.

4 The magician is confused and pulls out the piece of paper the instructions and following the instructions he turns the packet of cards over and there, on the face is a mate of the selected card. He spreads the packet and there are the other two mates face up with the rest of the cards in the packet face down.

The magician is confused. He looks at the paper and scratches his head.

Background

The idea came from Aldo Colombinis column in the February 2009 issue of MUM
and an effect that he calls Adagio (which he says is based on a Peter Duffy idea.)

Method

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect

1 Of course the card is forced and the classic force is best for this.

2 As in the effect by Aldo Colombini, the magician runs through the deck with the faces to himself and as he comes to mates of the forced card, he spreads 2 more and places the 3 cards face down on the table.

(Its probably easier to cut the deck bringing each mate to the bottom as found and then counting off the additional 2 cards.)

One difference in this handling is that I want 2 of the cards I turn over to be the opposite color from the forced card. When you look for the mates its easy to adjust the cards so that in two of the three packets, the card next to, (or just above) the mate is of the opposite color of the forced card.

There will then be 3 piles of 3 cards. (In the Colombini effect there are 4 piles.)

3 Like the Colombini effect, as each pile is picked up a double lift is done (its easy to just buckle the bottom card)

Dont say anything until all three piles are on the table with the top cards face up.

It matters which pile you address first as you must start with one of the two that are of the opposite color. So, for example if the forced card is the 9H you pick up one pile that has the opposite color from the selected card.

Point to that and say This tells me it was a black card. Then point to the other black card and say This tells me it was a club (or spade). Then point to the third card, assume its the 4H and say And this tells me it was a 4 so your card was the 4S.

You want the called card to be as different as possible from the selected card and so here youre calling the selected card which will turn out to be the 9H the 4S.

In this routine you know the selected card so you have some advantage in pulling out the packets.

The second packet is dropped on the first and the third on the that so there is one pile.

4 I think Ive said this before but when it looks like youve missed the spectators will lose interest in what youre doing so its essential that when you pull out the paper you say something like, Hold it! Hold it! Just a minute! as you grab the paper and quickly read it.

Then, confused, you follow the directions on the paper and turn the packet over and spread it showing the 3 mates and look confused.

Good Perverse Magic.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 1st, 2010, 6:47 am

SOME OPENING COIN EFFECTS - WALK AROUND MAGIC AND THE SIXTH CATEGORY OF PERVERSE MAGIC

Walk around magic at cocktail parties is one of the hardest types of magic to perform.

There are several reasons:

The audience is not there to see magic; they are there to socialize, to talk to one
another or, perhaps, to do business.

The magician, therefore, must intrude that is interrupt in a way that leads the
audience to accept the interruption and be agreeable to see what the magician has
to do.

He should not, therefore, approach people that seem to be involved in important or
deep conversations.

The magician must so something quickly so as not to lose the interest of his
audience.

-----------------------------------------------

The sixth category of Perverse Magic (See this thread above December 1, 2005
discussed with David Roths Legendary Four Coin Trick) ) is where the performer
explains that something will happen but he doesnt understand why it happens.

This is in contrast to the typical magic effect where the performer, in effect,
is saying watch me (find your selected card, change this card or coin).

I use this sixth category of Perverse magic when I do walk around magic at a
cocktail party for people I dont know.

What I might do is walk over with a quarter and say:

Did you ever see a quarter like this? and then:

change the one quarter to five

See this thread above October 1, 2004

(Note in that write up I explain that I have 2 coins classic palmed in my right hand with the outer coin injogged forward so that when I release my grip only one coin will fall to my fingers. Sometimes, nevertheless, both coins fall. When that happens I talk for a second more about the quarter held between my left thumb and index finger while with my right thumb I push the top quarter towards my index finger and then I use my right middle finger and to some extent my ring finger to repalm the other coin.)

(Actually for Walk Around Magic I stop at 4 and Im one ahead in performing my Coins Across In Spectators Hands As that routine is not Perverse Magic it doesnt belong on this thread but if anyone is interested Ill be happy to share it.)

or

have the quarter change into two dimes and a nickel

See Apocalypse pages 1486 and 1925

For those that dont have Apocalypse (though everyone should Harry Lorayne has done much for magic in having produced this for some 20 years the first year with Richard Kaufman) Ill briefly describe the stand up version of my For A Change here:

In my right hand is Classic Palmed 2 dimes and a nickel (obviously the nickel is the outer coin) and a quarter is in my left hand and being shown.

I discussed the Kaps Subtlety (see this thread January 2009) and how it allows a hand to appear empty though it has a coin (or coins) Classic Palmed and thats whats done here as the right hand takes the quarter and appears to toss it into the left hand, actually using the Bobo Switch to toss instead the 2 dimes and the nickel..

The left hand, with the three coins moves forward, and the body leans forward while the right hand, with the quarter, swings back and as it does the quarter is Classic Palmed.

The right hand comes forward as the left hand tosses the three coins into the right hand where the quarter, because of the Kaps Subtlety, is not seem.

(In Apocalypse I also describe a sit down version as well as a follow up where the 2 dimes and the nickel are changed back to the quarter.)

Anyway, you are showing a group of people ( 2,3,4) something strange about that quarter something that you dont understand.

Of course some will think it better to borrow a quarter but not when doing walk around magic at a cocktail party. You dont have time to wait for someone to look for a quarter. Why should they? They were enjoying their conversation until you walked over.

I then may do another quick coin trick and then, perhaps a card trick or two
ALWAYS ending with a Perverse Magic effect usually the second category
(performer says one thing will happen something else does) which surprises and
confuses me and has me shake my head not understanding. I then smile and thank
the group letting them know Im finished.

Finally, while the magician should always have a set routine or routines planned,
he should be prepared to cut the routine as soon as he sees interest waning. At a
cocktail party, as I said, they are not there to see magic but to mingle.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 1st, 2010, 6:01 am

Reflex

Paul Harris published this in his book Paul Harris Reveals Some Of His Most Intimate Secrets saying, magicians dont like it because the whole thing is based on continuous double lifts. The way I do it there are only TWO double lifts.

The effect is wonderful. The magician compares himself to a gunslinger and says he is faster on the draw than the spectator and has a card selected and he tells the spectator to slam his hand on the card when he sees it. The performer turns over cards one at a time and when the spectator sees his he slams his hand on it but it is not the card as the magician pulls the card from his pocket.

In presenting this I dont give the credit to myself but, like I do in my presentation of Out Of This World (see this thread above March 1, 2006) I attribute it so something else here, a childs band aid (a patch).

Also, while Paul Harris has the spectator think of a card, I have the spectator select a card and I control it to a position so that I have only to do two double lifts.

Heres my routine:

1 I explain how gunslingers have the reputation for being fast but I learned that they actually use a patch like a medical patch that gives them this speed. I take out my patch a childs band aid actually SpongeBob and put it on the back of my left hand.

2 I then have a spectator touch the back of a card and I break the deck at that point and I show it to him and to all the spectators. (With Paul Harris only the spectator knows the card this way everyone sort of participates.)

3 I put the top half of the deck on the table and the looked at card is now the top card of the half-deck in my left hand.

4 I run four cards on top of the looked at card and injog the next and shuffle off. I cut at the injog and the selected card is 5th card down.

5 I drop the half deck on the half on the table and explain that their card is in the upper portion (so that they dont, even for an instant, think this will take all night).

6 I then explain the premise. Im going to turn over one card at a time and then turn it face down and deal it to the table and AS SOON AS THEIR CARD HITS THE TABLE the spectator should slam his hand on it and keep it there. And because Im wearing the patch I will beat him.

7 I turn over the top card on top of the deck and turn it face down and then deal it to the table. I repeat this. The third time I double lift. The fourth time I double lift and they see their card but what I deal to the table is the card they saw when I did the previous double lift. The spectator slams his hand on the dealt card and I palm the card on the top of the deck the selected card.

8 I shake my head and show the patch and say I think it worked as I reach into my right trouser pocket and remove the card.

Here its not me but the patch that did it.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 1st, 2010, 6:01 am

GARDNERS PERVERSE POWER

Effect and Presentation

1 The magician sees two Bicycle decks of cards on the table, one red and one blue.

Some weird things happens with these Bicycle cards that I just dont understand, he says, picking up the red deck. Here, take a card. The spectator does.

2 The magician starts to shuffle the deck and has the spectator replace the selected card as he does.

3 One thing and for some reason this only works with Bicycle cards, is that what was your card? The four of hearts well, if I spread the deck, look, the four of hearts turns face up.

4 But whats more confusing is that if we look at the blue deck and find the four of hearts in that deck--------look --- it has a red back.

And look in the red deck the card you picked now it has a blue back. The magician scratches his head. Can you understand this? I cant!

Martin Gardner

Martin Gardner published a trick called Power in the February 1938 issue of The
Jinx (number 41 page 280). This is my interpretation of that fine effect.

Martin Gardner published many books about magic, including, my favorite, his
Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.

Years ago I became interested in philosophy, more particularly, the philosophy of
time and in my studies I came across an article called Can Time Go
Backwards? written by Martin Gardner. I never dreamed it was the same Martin
Gardner.

In 1997 I began to correspond with Martin Gardner about philosophy and magic
and I think he enjoyed discussing the magic more.

Martin Gardner passed away on May 22, 2010 at the age of 95.

Preparation

This is presented as a casual effect when you find a red and blue deck. You prepare when no one thinks or expects you to do magic.

What you do is take a card from the blue deck say the 4H and place it on
The bottom of the red deck but face up. Then the 4H of the red deck is brought to
the top.

Method

The numbers below correspond with the numbers under Effect and Presentation:

1 The deck is held in both hands and the right hand lifts half the right side of the deck and with the left thumb on the top card the red 4H the top packet is pulled to the right allowing the red 4H to slip to the top of the lower half.

A break is held over the 4H.

The 4H is forced by way of the Classic Force.

2 A Hindu Shuffle is started and while in progress, the selected 4H is replaced on the portion in the left hand and the portion in the right hand is dropped on top losing the card. But it is below the face up blue back 4H.

3 Its very startling to show the face up 4H IMMEDIATLEY after the selected 4H is replaced.

After showing the face up card it looks like the trick is over. Its a simple matter to palm the red back 4H the card below the face up blue back 4H.

The red deck is dropped to the table and the blue back deck is picked up with the left hand and held with both hands (the right hand holding the red 4H in its palm). The left thumb goes under the deck and as the palmed card is dropped on the top, the thumb flips the deck face up. The face up deck is cut and the cut completed.

The deck is run through face up and the 4H is found and removed and kept face up as the deck is turned face down showing blue backs and put down. The 4H is turned face down to show a red back.

The red deck is still on the table showing red backs and the 4H in that deck is still face up but is now turned face down to show a blue back.

(Note some may think its better to have the red back 4H revealed REVERSED that is face up in the face down blue back deck. I disagree as I think that would tend to dilute the effect.)

The sixth category of Perverse Magic (see this thread December 1, 2005)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 1st, 2010, 6:48 am

The Bending Spoon

This effect has been discussed several time in The Genii Forum (See Close Up Magic May 9, 2002 and April 29, 2004) but as a psychic type effect. I do it more as a comedy effect using Perverse Magic.

This fits me because much of my magic is done at a dinner table, social or, if its appropriate, business.

There are basically two types of spoons a cheap spoon that can easily be bended and a better spoon that cannot. I have a different effect for each:

A Cheap Spoon That Can Bend

1 The performer shows a spoon and puts it under a napkin.

2 He reaches into his pocket for a set of instructions and tells the audience that hes learned how to bend a spoon like the mystics do but he never tried it. Then, reading the instructions, he pours salt on the napkin, looks at the instructions, pours on some pepper, looks at the paper and waves his hand over the napkin.

3 He removes the napkin and is surprised that the spoon works. It works!

The whole trick is accomplished as the napkin covers the spoon. The spoon is
held in the left fist with the left thumb on the bowl of the spoon and the
fingers around the stem. If the spoon is a cheap spoon, by putting pressure
on the bowl with the thumb and holding the stem tightly with the fingers,
the spoon will bend.

The right hand shakes the napkin open and the left hand brings the spoon
under the napkin and as soon as the spoon is out of sight it is bent.

Going for the set of instructions, the salt, the pepper and the wave of the
hand brings the effect into being one on Perverse Magic the sixth category
(see this thread above December 1, 2005)

(Of course the spoon should be straightened and made as it was when the
effect is done.)

B Good Spoon That Wont Bend

1 The Performer shows a spoon and says it is a good, strong spoon but he can bend it.

He takes it in his hands and tries and then looks confused. The spoon has vanished.

2 He looks around and searches his pockets and finds it and, confused, drops it back on the table.

Of course lapping is done here:

1 The spoon is held in both hands, palms down with thumbs touching and the fingers below.

The fingers drop a bit and the spoon drops too, resting on the fingers.

The fingers are extended a bit causing the spoon to travel backwards until it is under the heels of the hands.

The fists close and the spoon is pressed on the heels of the hands.

The hands come to rest on the table, the spoon over the edge but most of the hand on the table.

The fingers relax letting the spoon fall to the lap.

The hands move forward on the table as the elbows move out a bit as if you are trying to bend the spoon. Move the elbows together again as if the spoon is bending in your fists.

Look confused separate your hands and show the spoon has vanished.

2 To reproduce the spoon I use a technique developed during the time I spent with Slydini using the misdirection principle that a larger movement will cover a smaller movement.

The following actions take place together:

* My right hand drops to my lap and onto the spoon

* I lean to the right.

* My left hand goes into my left pocket looking for the spoon.

I then lean to my left as my right hand (with the spoon) goes into my right pocket.

Then, based on what I learned from something Fred Braue wrote, I leave the spoon in my pocket and bring out something else thats there which I put on the table. Then I go back into my pocket and produce the spoon.

Great Perverse Magic and a spoon is always available at a dinner table.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 1st, 2010, 6:49 am

POWER OF CONCENTRATION

Background

In going through some magic papers I found an effect called Power of Concentration.

I dont know whose this is but at the end of the write-up is Louis Tannen Inc 1540 Broadway which gives an idea of the dating.

This is my suggested presentation as Perverse Magic.

Effect

1 There are two decks on the table, one red and one blue and the magician says that hes noted something peculiar that he just doesnt understand.

2 He hands one deck to a woman and tells her to run through the deck with the faces to her and squeeze one card then push it in place. She does. He tells her to put the deck down.

3 The magician picks up the other deck and spreads them so that the faces are to the woman and he tells her to pull that card up a bit and to squeeze it.

Then, sort of as an afterthought, he moves that card sideways and puts the deck down on table next to the other deck.

4 I dont understand why this happens, says the magician, but when you squeeze the two cards they always wind up --- well look lets deal the cards together.

The magician has the spectator deal one card from each deck simultaneously, turning each card dealt face up as it is dealt.

When the spectator gets to the protruding card the duplicate of the selected card and turns it face up the card in the other deck the selected card is turned up at the same time.

Preparation

As described in the paper I found:

Set one deck up in the exact same order as another shuffled deck. Then, from the
deck that will be used second, move three cards from the top of the deck to the
bottom without reversing their order.

Method

The numbers below correspond with the numbers under Effect:

1 No comment

2 No comment

3 When the deck is fanned with the faces towards the audience and the duplicate of the touched card is raised, the magician gets a break with his left pinky.

The deck is broken at this point and the squeezed card is put sideways at this point.

This reverses the effect of moving the 3 cards to the bottom as to the selected card so that it will be in the same position as its duplicate.

Comments

There are several weaknesses I see with this effect. One is that there may be
boredom as so much dealing takes place and another is that with so many cards to
deal a duplicate of a card dealt may appear before the selection. And then again it
requires two decks.

These weaknesses can be somewhat alleviated by using one deck.

To prepare, divide a deck in two with 26 cards in each half and then set the halves
up so that instead of a duplicate in the same position, the mate (i.e. the mate of the
4H would be the 4D) will be in the same position.

So to perform you would introduce the set up deck, divide it in two (using a crimp
or just knowing the card to divide the deck at) and follow the steps noted.

Its Perverse Magic as the magician has no idea why this works.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2010, 6:31 am

USING PERVERSE MAGIC WHEN CAUGHT WITH A DOUBLE LIFT

I have always felt that presentation is the most important part of presenting magic. People want to be entertained. So many magicians take an attitude that they are superior to their audiences and to many that is a turn off. Perverse Magic can be used to make the magician more human more like them. I condemn those magicians that make fools out of volunteers especially when the volunteers are children with so called sucker tricks, including such things as the breakaway fan and wand but those items can effectively be used in Perverse Magic when the magician is the victim.

Recently there was a question on the Magic Caf about what to do if one is caught doing a double lift and I suggested using Perverse Magic. The magician admits he has tow cards and then is surprised when he has many more.

Below is along the lines of what I suggested although there are probably better technical ways to accomplish getting more than 2 cards, the point I was trying to make was that Perverse Magic might be the way out.

If we assume that the two cards are face up on top of the deck and there is a break between the face up cards and the deck perhaps you can do the following:

1 Come over the deck with the right fingers at the outer short side and the
thumb at the back and with the thumb pick up several cards

2 With the left hand take the balance of the lower deck and give it to a
spectator to hold.

3 The left hand comes back to the cards in the right with the index finger bent.

4 The index finger is strengthened and the lower packet the cards below the
break - held between the index and 2nd finger is turned face up under the 2
double lifted cards

5 Then say, "Right - I have 2 cards--" and then spread to show 5 or 6 cards
and look very confused-- "What the---?"

This is an example of what I call category 4 of Perverse magic (See above December 1, 2005) Performer is caught- he admits it then he and the audience are surprised.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » November 1st, 2010, 6:31 am

Merger

The evening was coming to an end. The card game was over. The magician lost a few dollars. Of course he didnt take his turn dealing no one told him not to but everyone agreed that it was for the best.

Did you learn any new card tricks since last time? one of the fellows asked.

Well uh I read something but I dont know if it works.

Yeah? What?

Well let me try with two cards any cards I guess. Here, we can use say the five of hearts and the queen of clubs. We put them back to back. Like this. And press. Like this. WOW! Look! It worked! The two cards merged into one card!

The magician is as amazed as his friends. Its now a single card with the five of hearts on one side and the queen of clubs on the other.

Comments

1 I dont play cards. I used to when I was in college but two things happened both while I was dealing. The first occurred when there was a large pot and I peeked the top card and saw that if I dealt it to myself I would lose. I could never do a second deal but in those days I did a very good pass. (Really. Even ask Ken Krenzel.) But I didnt. These were my friends. How could I? I dealt the top card and lost. The second thing was when dealing straight I won and someone commented, Ok Jerry, very nice. But we didnt come here to see card tricks. So I dont play cards anymore but I guess other magicians do.

2 As presented, this is the sixth category of Perverse Magic (see above this forum December 1, 2005) the magician doesnt understand why what happened did happen.

3 Of course a double face card is used, here the five of hearts/queen of clubs.

Preparation

The double face card is in the right pocket. When ready to perform palm it from the
pocket and leave it on your lap, here the five of hearts facing up.

Notes on Performance

1 It is important that the selection of the cards that match the double facer the five of hearts and queen of clubs be as nonchalant as possible and its important to convey the impression that any two cards will do.

2 The change of the two cards for the double back card is done as follows:

* The queen of clubs is held face down in the left hand and the five of hearts face up in the right hand and then the five is tossed face up onto the face down queen.

* I use a Slydini gesture what he calls Timing to get the double face card into my right hand as follows:

** I say, Now watch! as my right hand shoots up and then drops down onto the double face card in my lap and palms it.

** You have to press. I say as my right hand with the palmed double face card comes to the two cards in my left hand.

* I now lap the two cards in my left hand using the classic sleeving move
as my hands come together and I deposit the double face card in my left hand but continue to press my hands together.

* I move my hands away from the table edge, still pressing them together. I separate my hands showing the five of hearts. No one knows what is expected to happen so it looks like nothing has happened. You have to press heard.

* Then, with the hands well away from the edge of the table I show Wow! Look! It worked! its now a single card!

3 To clean up I wait (Remember dont run when no one is chasing you) and when the time is right both hands drop to my lap with my right hand going on the two cards with each hand on each thigh, I then stand and put both hands in my trouser pockets and leave the palmed cards.

Diminishing Card

Using the same moves as above, a diminishing card effect can be presented.

Here, a miniature card is on the lap and the duplicate of the miniature is forced
from the regular deck.

Then, taking the selected card and holding it on the left palm, say that you are
Going to try to make the card vanish and, using the moves above, it instead becomes
a miniature card, much to your surprise. (See The Swizzle Stick April 2008
above.)

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » December 1st, 2010, 6:59 am

Perverse Daley Quick Trick

This is another effect that can be done when youre handed a deck of cards and you really dont want to perform but you decide to do one effect (see above this thread May 1, 2009)

It is Dr. Jacob Daleys Quick Trick number 150 in his notebook

Effect

Youre handed a deck of cards to do something and you really dont feel like doing a lot so you have a card selected and shuffled back into the deck. You ask the name of the card and youre told its the 4H.

You snap your fingers over the deck, put the deck on the table and spread it and there, in the center, face up is the the 7C.

You are confused. You push the cards above the 7C away and shake your head. You scratch your head. Then you remember.

Oh this is so confusing. Thats a 7. Count 7 cards down. They do and the seventh card is the 4H. I dont know how that works.

Method

When youre handed the deck you secretly reverse the bottom card and then shuffle run one less than the value into your left hand and drop the deck on those cards. So, if as here the reversed card is a 7, you run 6 cards and the 7 will be 7th from the bottom.

Have a card selected and Hindu Shuffle and have the card replaced on the cards in your left hand and drop the cards in your right hand on top. The selected card will be in the center, 7th down from the reversed 7.

Its important that for the revelation of the reversed card and then the selected card that the deck be out of your hands and on the table.

This is another example of the sixth category of Perverse Magic you dont understand why what happens happens. (its so confusing.)

Return to “General”