Best Mentalism/ Psychological Hypnosis Resources

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Best Mentalism/ Psychological Hypnosis Resources

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2007, 2:27 am

Hey guys, I've just recently seen Derren Brown and was blown away by his Zombie Arcade setup, among others.

My question: What is the best source to start learning the kind of psychological "hypnotic" techniques that he's using?

My main interest is pure mentalism and psychological effects like Derren Brown's BMX trick. Search Youtube for:

Derren Brown NLP

Best,

F

Re: Best Mentalism/ Psychological Hypnosis Resources

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2007, 6:07 am

I'd learn mentalism first, then apply pesentation to those effects so that it appears that you use N.L.P, hypnotic infuences ect. Its actualy the way Derren does it you know.

your not looking for magical material here, you need to read up on psycology, and N.L.P for tips on presentation.

( remembering that 99% of it will be absolutly useless to you as a performer)

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » February 7th, 2007, 11:25 am

Derren Brown claims more use on NLP and hypnotism than the actual method uses. Learn mentalism from Banachek and others. 13 steps should be read first.

kenguru

Postby kenguru » February 7th, 2007, 2:15 pm

DB actually disclaims NLP as his method in his new book, and writes that it was just stuck on him (thought he did not shake it off ;) )
Haim

Postby Guest » August 12th, 2007, 5:42 pm

The BIBLE for mentalists is Corinda's 13 Steps. It should be re-read, in the beginning at least once every six months. As you gain knowledge and experience you will "see" things in Corinda that you never saw before. Sorry for the late posting but I'm new to this forum.

dhiraaz

Postby dhiraaz » March 6th, 2009, 7:52 am

Hi,
I am interested in psychology and I want to learn indept about the
topic. I am sure, I will learn a lot from this forum. I hope i am
welcome here.
[url="http://www.boomeryearbook.com"]psychological articles[/url]

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 6th, 2009, 8:18 am

dhiraaz wrote:Hi,
I am interested in psychology and I want to learn indept about the
topic. I am sure, I will learn a lot from this forum. I hope i am
welcome here.

Psychology is a huge subject. There is much introductory material online to get you started - though a course might make the survey seem less tedious. Do you really want to be alone reading when you figure out why IQ goes to 200?

If you want to dive into subjective reality and techniques for manipulating your own reality or the reality others experience I suggest taking it slow on the tricks and exploring the process in a course offered by certified/accredited instructors so you can make progress rather that just learn words or cheap tricks to offend others.

Just a couple of suggestions. We all get to make our own mistakes. The challenge is recognizing when we have a choice.

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » March 6th, 2009, 10:35 am

The responses you've received seem to reflect some confusion regarding your ultimate objective. Is your interest primarily academic (i.e., in psychology for its own sake) or practical (i.e., to develop the skills essential for the effective performance of mentalism)? Although an understanding of psychology is important for both, the suggested course of study for each of those would IMO be significantly different. If your primary interest is in mentalism, which is what I surmise from you question, I think most of the "workers" in that field would recommend Corinda's "Thirteen Steps To Mentalism" and Annemann's "Practical Mental Effects," although both are quite dated (1940s for Annemann and 1960s for Corinda), as the essential "primers" in that field and that they should be carefully studied as a prelude to tackling the more contemporary works on the genre.

In addition to Annemann, Corinda and the more current writers on mentalism, I have found that a study of psychology in general (i.e., unrelated to the performance of mentalism), with emphasis on the psychology of cognition and perception and how it makes truly rational thought almost impossible as a result of the inherent biases acquired in the course of human evolution, is also invaluable.

If you contact me at my primary e-mail address (gr8magik@aol.com) I will be happy to provide a bibliography of suggested reference material.
Dick Christian

Johnathon_Alex

Postby Johnathon_Alex » December 21st, 2009, 7:33 am

Hypnotherapy or Hypnosis has been proven to be the most effective way to make massive positive changes in human life. I got complete information from the site [deleted] which provided good and complete information on Hypnosis and resources..
Last edited by Johnathon_Alex on December 21st, 2009, 1:34 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: SPAM

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 21st, 2009, 8:12 am

Johnathon_Alex wrote:Hypnotherapy or Hypnosis has been proven to be the most effective way to make massive positive changes in human life. I got complete information from the site [deleted] which provided good and complete information on Hypnosis and resources..

? proved how and by who with what evidence?

Complete information? Really?

Do you remember a time when you had enough self respect not to write such things? Would you like some help to get back to that time so you can more fully enjoy the holidays?

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 21st, 2009, 10:34 am

Hypnosis is a load of old baloney and doesn't even exist. How do I know? Because I am a hypnotist of course! When I used to be daft enough to think it was real I couldn't do it. When I found out that it was a load of old cobblers then I had great success with it.

I do agree that it is a wonderful for thereapeutic uses though, nothwithstanding that it is a load of old cobblers. As long as the patient doesn't know it is a load of baloney it is a wonderful thing for them.

Hellion

Postby Hellion » August 31st, 2010, 6:10 am

As a hypnotist myself I fully agree Mark, there's no hypnosis other than self-hypnosis. Unfortunately even many modern how to's are full of misinformation to keep the myth of hypnosis alive and well. There are only a handful of books that deal truthfully with it. McGill, Harling & Nyrup, and Banachek (not for hypnotic methods per se, but for his use of suggestion) are about as close as you're ever going to get to what it is and how to use it.

Hellion

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 31st, 2010, 9:27 am

Anonymous wrote:...
My question: What is the best source to start learning the kind of psychological "hypnotic" techniques that he's using?

Probably best to learn a watch steal routine.
Then you can move on to stepping on their feet while looking at them for cueing.

Return to “General”