Beginning Mentalism

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Beginning Mentalism

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2005, 1:49 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I'm excited. I enjoy doing lots of card tricks however I wanted to branch out into mentalism. I was wondering what are some good beginner books or DVD's out there for mentalism.

I recently purchased Max Maven's Prism, so far so good however he talks about some techniques I'm unfamilar with in mentalism. Some direction would be nice.
Thanks
Ran

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Beginning Mentalism

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 22nd, 2005, 1:57 pm

The two starting points for studying mentalism are Corinda's "Thirteen Steps To Mentalism" and Annemann's "Practical Mental Magic". Those two will give you the basic foundation you need for mentalism. In fact, you may want to check out the thread over in the Book of the Month Forum on "Practical Mental Magic" to find out why Max Maven recommends that as a starting point.

-Jim

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2005, 2:42 pm

thanks jim,
I will be sure to check it out.

ran

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2005, 10:11 am

Starting with 13 steps to mentalism (Corrinda) is a good begining BUT make sure you actually do go step by step, lesson by lesson and learn the techniques and master them before you move ahead to the next. While doing that you might also invest in some acting lessons (improvisation skills are also a plus to develop here). When you have finished with 13 steps move to Bob Cassidy's works. Start with his {Principia Mentalia series as well as his Art of Mentalism (1 & 2) and that is when you can really begin to soar.

13 steps teaches you the "how" AND Cassidy teaches you the "why" and both are very important if you want to succeed in mentalism. Hope that helps,

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide

Return to “General”