Kabbala?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Kabbala?

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 9:50 am

Hello, I have a question about the Kabbala I'm a bit confused about. I was looking at the bibliography of Periodicals on www.jonracherbaumer.com, and there's Volume 1 and 2 and The Lost Pages, but I thought there was a volume 3. Was it ever put into a hardbound like volume 1 and 2 and Lost Pages were in 1980 and 1981?

Re: Kabbala?

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 3:21 pm

When the KABBALA was published as an 8-page magazine, the first volume of 12 issues came out regularly. The second volume stalled at issue #8. Danny Korem re-issued the original in hard-cover editions and added the missing 4 issues in the second volume. (Subscribers got copies of the second volume to complete their set.) THE LOST PAGES OF KABBALA was a separate volume, although some consider it a third volume.

A reprint was redone, footnoted, with illustrations by Joseph K. Schmidt, and was released by Paul Fried as THE LEGENDARY KABBALA.

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 3:31 pm

I've got Volume 3 in a softback edition that doesn't match the hardback ones, not even in page size. Were all three volumes originally issued in the same format?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2007, 4:14 pm

Didn't Tannen's publish volume 3 of Kabbala as a perfect bound softcover? Or was that Heirophant?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » November 1st, 2007, 8:01 pm

I believe it was Hierophant.

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2007, 1:29 am

Tannens published Hierophant 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 and 7 as four separate perfect bound softback books (possibly also the Resurrection issue, though that was staple-bound). Not sure if the softback Kabbala 3 was also Tannens, but I don't think it ever existed in a nice hardback edition like Volumes 1 and 2 and the Lost Pages.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 2nd, 2007, 2:07 am

There is a curious fact in Kabbala Vol. 2

the Issue N 8 is from April 1973 but the N 9 to 12 have no dates.

And if you read the Issue 9 which is A Richard Kaufman Issue (it's just an example), you can read that Mr. Kaufman dates his Impromptu Multiple Haunted Pack from June 1980.

What happens between 1973 and 1980 ?

More strange is the fact that Kabbala Vol. 3 was published in 1976 by Tannen.

The Lost Pages of the Kabbala was not published by Tannen but by Danny Korem (in May 1981)

In conclusion :

Aside from that, it's a very very (etc.) good magazine you should read and study. (Free Add for Mr. Racherbaumer)

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2007, 5:42 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Didn't Tannen's publish volume 3 of Kabbala as a perfect bound softcover? Or was that Heirophant?
Richard, you are spot on! I own all the hard bound issues of Kabbala, as well as, the soft bound Volume 3 (Tannens).

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2007, 10:39 am

Opps!
Yes, Tannen's DID publish a soft-cover KABBALA. The original edition, after being printed, was dumped because of controversial sections. It was typeset and another print run was made. The covers of each version are DIFFERENT. There may be 5 surviving copies of the original print run. The others were destroyed. The years? 1975-76. I guess this volume could be considered Vol. 3? THE LOST PAGES is a different book.

What happened between 1973 and 1980 is "a long story" that involves becoming a single parent with custody of 4 children, three mysterious women, working two jobs, and dealing with infighting amongst the ranters and roustabouts in magic-dumb.

Onward...

Return to “General”