One Handed Card Magic

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Mr Hurley

One Handed Card Magic

Postby Mr Hurley » November 3rd, 2014, 2:15 pm

I'm rather new to magic and I'm trying to find resources for one handed card magic.
I know that the Rene Lavand DVDs and books are an incredibly valuable resource for the medium; and Ray Kosby's Raise Rise looks incredibly fun but I won't be able to acquire those for the next couple months.

So right now, I'm trying to make a'wanted' list of sorts and I'm not sure where else to look (or if there is other sources) for one-handed card magic, if there are any.

Any ideas?

Brad Jeffers

Re: One Handed Card Magic

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 3rd, 2014, 4:51 pm

If you are interested in magic performed with one hand, you might want to get a copy of The Legend of Mac McDonald by C.C. Allen.

There are not a lot of details on the actual handling of the effects in McDonald's repertoire, but it is an interesting book nonetheless.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 3rd, 2014, 5:06 pm

Doesn't Shoot Ogawa do two one-handed Matrix routines at the same time, one with each hand?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 3rd, 2014, 5:36 pm

Another interesting resource is A Cut Above by Vincent Foy. This is a book that focuses strictly on one handed cuts. It's published and sold by Magicana:

http://sharingwonder.magicana.com/publi ... cut-above/

Tom McDonagh

Postby Tom McDonagh » November 3rd, 2014, 8:42 pm

One Hand In My Pocket by Mark Elsdon

Credits to
Max Maven
Eugene Burger
Ken Krenzel

Tom McDonagh

cardmaster
Favorite Magician: Rodolfo

Postby cardmaster » November 3rd, 2014, 9:11 pm

There is actually an entire chapter in Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue on one handed card magic. And of course if you like that sort of thing there is extensive treatment regarding one handed cuts in one of the Ross Bertram books. Alas I have forgotten which one of the two he wrote. Very good books too if you are not afraid of a bit of practice.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 3rd, 2014, 9:22 pm

The famous silent film star Harold Lloyd blew off his thumb and first finger with a prop bomb that turned out not to be a prop on the set of one of his films. He was also an amateur magician, and there's a trick of his in that chapter of Expert Card Technique.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 3rd, 2014, 10:47 pm

cardmaster wrote:And of course if you like that sort of thing there is extensive treatment regarding one handed cuts in one of the Ross Bertram books. Alas I have forgotten which one of the two he wrote. Very good books too if you are not afraid of a bit of practice.

The one handed cuts are in Bertram on Sleight of Hand.

David Prouty

Postby David Prouty » November 4th, 2014, 12:06 pm

A favorite of mine... The One Handed Poker Deal, Darwin Ortiz, Cardshark.

cardmaster
Favorite Magician: Rodolfo

Postby cardmaster » November 4th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
cardmaster wrote:And of course if you like that sort of thing there is extensive treatment regarding one handed cuts in one of the Ross Bertram books. Alas I have forgotten which one of the two he wrote. Very good books too if you are not afraid of a bit of practice.

The one handed cuts are in Bertram on Sleight of Hand.

Thank you kindly. Incidentally there is an older book with a section on one hand cuts and in fact this is where I learned to do this stuff myself. It has fewer cuts than the Bertram book but nevertheless is excellent, not least because of the interesting presentations of the cuts and the instruction on card fanning which is one of the best sources on the subject. It is entitled "Card Fantasies" by Edward G Love. I am sure it is out of print but if you can obtain it you will find it a wonderful book.

Mr Hurley

Postby Mr Hurley » November 9th, 2014, 2:04 am

Thank you for all the great resources and advice.

Looks like I have a lot of studying to do!

Return to “General”