Hospital Magic

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Mr. Anagram

Hospital Magic

Postby Mr. Anagram » August 2nd, 2014, 3:00 am

I'm relatively new to magic, but I am eager to try and volunteer doing magic at a local Children's Hospital and VA Hospital.

I'm in the process of making a routine for the Children's Hospital, but I'm running into a wall with the VA Hospital, as I'm not too privy on what would be the best types magic to perform for adultsin a hospital setting--especially veterans.

I do understand that at a VA hospital, you might be limited in effects due to the mobility or mental capability of the person you are performing for; They are more than likely tired, depressed, and even lonely; so I am aware that I will be have a couple rooms where I will be listening and not doing any magic. Having PTSD, I also understand that loud noises and sudden changes are definitely not something I'd subject to someone else who possibly has PTSD themselves.

Does anyone have any experience in working or volunteer magic in a hospital setting?

Gerald Deutsch

Re: Hospital Magic

Postby Gerald Deutsch » August 13th, 2014, 5:43 pm

I have done magic for many years for children at a children's hospital and I prepared the following memo for my own use (which may not be clear to anyone else)but it may be of some use.

To: File
Re: For kids in hospital bed
Date: February 2009

Card Routines

Invisible Card

11 Card Trick

3 Cards Across

Card in Hand
Homing Card

Deceptive Transpo
3 Card Trick
Inversion
Perverse Ambitious Card

Kabala Aces

Jinx Card

Levitation Straw

Paper Bag – Invisible Ball

Coins

Progressive Production
Coins Across

Bent Quarter

Pencil Coin

Pencil coin

Rubber Band – Hair Holder

If anyone is interested I can elaborate on any of the above.

Mr. Anagram

Postby Mr. Anagram » August 18th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I know it's good to play from the pockets, but how much should you take with you? And did you have any issues performing for teenagers?

edshern

Postby edshern » April 27th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Try contacting these guys;
(Official) Project Magic Australia
Project Magic is a program, where magicians and occupational therapists work together to teach sleight of hand therapy.

https://www.facebook.com/projectmagicau ... le_browser

v3x4l
Favorite Magician: penn and teller

Postby v3x4l » May 24th, 2015, 8:39 pm

As a combat vet. maybe I can help. Understand soldiers are not slow and have sacrificed more than most people will ever know. Show respect, be non-threatening, and do avoid loud noises. If you don't do all three of those. you will have a bad day.

with that note, they have seen/done terrible things. try to make them smile and laugh, they may be depressed and lonely but these are the best people to preform for. A good story will also help take them from the world they know and help a lot but so will a good illusion that seems like real magic. mostly smile, joke, and listen. Soldiers are people too, Just people who have seen the worst of humanity.

Return to “General”