card college DVD's and list of card tricks for newbie

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
phantommenace

card college DVD's and list of card tricks for newbie

Postby phantommenace » October 14th, 2013, 7:22 pm

hi I am new to card magic and wanted a dvd that took me through a logical progression and I find it much easier to have a visual cue to follow. I know some people prefer books but I prefer learning from DVD.
After much thought I decided to use the card college DVD series, I understand its based on book one and two of the book series.
MY question is does anyone know if they will make the rest of books into DVDs?

and secondly does anyone have tips about the DVDs or anyone followed them?

also a general question, is there a list anywhere of a logical order of good tricks to learn as skills progress?

thanks

Robert Meisch

Re: card college DVD's and list of card tricks for newbie

Postby Robert Meisch » October 15th, 2013, 10:36 am

I can't speak to the DVD's but the Card College books are awesome.

If the DVD's keep a similar format then as you learn techniques and sleights you will learn tricks that utilize what you just learned. So, it(at least the books) has a built in "logical order of good tricks to learn."

I have found that even though I progressed through sections of the books they have taken on a really good life as references. I constantly come back and review my technique or look something up.

I am hoping that someone can chime in on the DVD's. I have always wanted to pick them up. Can anyone speak to how the DVD's differ from the books other than the obvious visual aspect?

Thanks.

Robert

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » October 15th, 2013, 11:33 pm

I have both the books and the DVD's and highly suggest you invest in the books as well. While the DVD's give you the visual you want they don't offer all that is in the books. I understand you wanting a visual to fully understand how certain moves look, but learning from books is a must and something repeated time and time again here on the forum.
Peace, Joe

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 16th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Hi joe I am still waiting for my DVDs to arrive, glad you are recommending them.
Do they have a good repertoire of tricks on the DVD?
I prefer tricks with no pre preparing the deck etc.
Many thanks

lybrary

Postby lybrary » October 16th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Another vote for getting the books, too, because the real benefit you get with Roberto Giobbi are all the details he discusses and points out, which are captured mostly in the text.

Another alternative are the ebooks which are a combination of the original text and illustrations with videos of Roberto's hands performing every technique. http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-1-2-p-817.html

But I want to stress that the ~200 short videos in the ebooks of the first two volumes have nothing to do with the DVDs that are mentioned above. Two completely different things serving different purposes
Lybrary.com http://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » October 16th, 2013, 11:29 pm

What you have to keep in mind is that what Giobbi is offering is not just a book of card tricks, what the Card College is all about is learning the basic moves that lead to becoming adept at doing card tricks and build as you go along as you mentioned in your first post. Since Volume 1 is about learning basics the tricks are by nature basic and do often require decks that are set up in a certain way. You don't start learning card magic necessarily by learning how to cull cards, the whole point is learning basic building block slights and building upon them, a technique is taught and then a trick or tricks come out from that. The DVD's don't cover all the moves or all the tricks in the first two volumes but his the high points. Get the books, get the DVD's and work on the techniques. Spend time mastering those before you even think about showing tricks to anyone, learn the basics until you can do them in your sleep. I don't mean to preach, but it takes some time to learn even basic skills don't be in a hurry. Enjoy practicing!
Peace, Joe

PS. The PDF's with the video clips sound very interesting. That might be the best way to go but since I have not seen them I can't really recommend them.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » October 17th, 2013, 8:41 am

While I can fully back what Joe wrote above, my advice would be to not just work on the moves and tricks until you have mastered them, and then get out and perform, but learn two or three good self-working tricks and start performing them as soon as possible. Learning the mechanics of moves and sleights takes time and you should first practice them well before you use them in an effect. But equally important is to work on your performing side. And you can do that very early if you employ self-working or sleight-less effects. Giobbi offers plenty of great ones in his Light series which is available as books and ebooks.
Lybrary.com http://www.lybrary.com/
preserving magic one book at a time

phantommenace

Postby phantommenace » October 17th, 2013, 9:09 am

Thanks for the continued info everyone. I understand that the DVDs are based on books 1 and 2 but does anyone know if mr giobbi intends to complete the DVD series and make the rest of the books into DVD?

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » October 19th, 2013, 2:32 pm

phantommenace wrote: does anyone know if mr giobbi intends to complete the DVD series?

Other than Mr. Giobbi, probably not. The great thing is that it doesn't matter!

His series can only take you so far. If the series consists of the DVDs based on the first two books, or DVDs based on all his books, there's a limit and it's up to you to go past that limit in whatever way you choose. Even if you studied every DVD out there, there is still a limit to what's on the DVDs (not to mention the limit of how much those DVDs will cost.)

Get out of them what you can and move on to the next phase of your learning. BUT, regardless of whether or not you ever study beyond what you can learn from the DVDs out there, you should be aware that there is immeasurably more in the written word than there is on DVD-and as someone much wiser than I said, "there are many important things that have been hidden from you in books."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 19th, 2013, 2:51 pm

I love the Card College series of books, and I think they are the texts to start with if you are trying to learn card magic.

However, my suggestion is to read through the first volume and find a trick that you like. Then, work to learn the trick.

Sleights are just means to an end. The best way to learn them is in the context of a good trick, IMHO. When you are just starting, I would suggest focusing on learning what you need to perform the tricks you want to perform.

Something else that might help you is a resource to teach you how to practice. John Carney's Magic by Design is outstanding, and I think someone recently posted a copy for sale here within the last week.

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » August 2nd, 2016, 1:46 pm

Hi, I'm Mahdi. I help organize Conjuring Arts University. Right now we are offering a course on card magic taught by none other than Roberto Giobbi. In this course he uses his own books, namely the Card College series, as textbooks.

You might be interested in taking a live, online course with us: http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/Master-Card-Magic-with-Roberto-Giobbi-PART-TWO-August-21-October-2-Sundays-at-12PM-NOON-EDT-130p1356.htm#.V6Db7rgrKCg

performer

Postby performer » August 2nd, 2016, 1:57 pm

All you really need is the Royal Road to Card Magic.

Terry

Postby Terry » August 2nd, 2016, 2:54 pm

performer wrote:All you really need is the Royal Road to Card Magic.

That was the advice Bruce Cervon gave me at the 1992 IBM Convention in Salt Lake City.

performer

Postby performer » August 2nd, 2016, 3:44 pm

He was right. 50% of my performing repertoire comes from that book. And the advice therein is priceless. I know the book inside out, backwards and forwards. It was my Bible and still is.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » August 2nd, 2016, 9:08 pm

Yes, it is excellent. But he says he learns better from DVD/Visual. Some people are just wired that way, and don't connect or learn well from books. It is important that he be motivated, enjoy the process, and learn in his way, regardless of the minions of magicians that favor books and think they know what is best, and what you "should" do. What works for them will not necessarily work for you or others. The Royal Road to Card Magic on DVD by Paul Wilson, which is a complete course in card magic, has gotten a lot of rave reviews. Perhaps you may want to consider acquiring it and studying that way, Phantommenace.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 2nd, 2016, 11:56 pm

When the only tool you have is a hammer... Mark, have you read Card Collage? Or met Giobbi?

Hugard did a fake Chinese silent act, and was well known for the bullet catch. Braue was a journalist. Both were part time card trick guys, from a time when spelling tricks were considered cool.

Royal Road is pretty great, but I think most of us have a bit of an emotional attachment to it. I have fond memories of Mork and Mindy too. I wouldn't suggest to anyone that it the apex of comedy.

For the OP, I'll just suggest that both video and books have an important place in a complete understanding of a topic. The best way to understand something is to read what someone who can actually do the thing writes, because the very act of trying to transcribe a thing into words forces the author to understand the thing better than they did before. (Assuming the author can actually write.) But you can't beat video for seeing how something should look.

performer

Postby performer » August 3rd, 2016, 4:33 am

Yes, Bill. Of course I have looked at Card College. I study magic day in and day out to this very day. I am afraid I prefer the Royal Road. And I am perfectly happy with a journalist and a professional magician of many years experience writing a book. I would think that such a combination to be perfectly qualified.

I don't just use a "hammer". I have many tools in my work, the most important ones being showmanship and a knowledge of human nature. It is true that I have never met Giobbi. However, it is also true that I have never met Hugard or Braue either although I do have occasional conversations with them in the spirit world in my capacity as a psychic reverend.

I said all you NEED is the Royal Road. However, I did not say you have to stick to that one book alone. I never did. In fact I have probably read more than you. But then I suppose some of us are born to lead and some of us are born to follow.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 3rd, 2016, 10:57 pm

performer wrote:And I am perfectly happy with a journalist and a professional magician of many years experience writing a book. I would think that such a combination to be perfectly qualified.

I'll stick with recommending an actual living/working 21st century magician who specializes in card magic.

performer

Postby performer » August 4th, 2016, 12:23 am

Duncan my boy. I have nothing against Giobbi or his work. Indeed I own one of his books. And I have looked over his Card College since lots of daft people keep telling me it has superceded the Royal Road to Card Magic. It hasn't and I will tell you why. It is too big and too vast and by the time the beginner gets to the end he will have joined both Hugard and Braue in the spirit world. But here is the REAL reason I prefer the Royal Road. It has sprinkled throughout the book many, many snippets on how to PRESENT magic. It tells you how to sprinkle the fairy dust on the tricks and make them magical and effective. It doesn't just describe tricks and sleights like Card College does.

Now I do recognise that Giobbi makes an attempt at this and has an entire chapter on presentation which is as dry as dust and as an expert showman of some brilliance myself, I realised it was a load of old waffle and alas I was not impressed by it.

50 percent of my material comes from the Royal Road and I happen to know that Giobbi himself learned from this wonderful book. And I can assure you of one thing with complete certainty. You perform anything you want from any of your 21st century books for as long as you wish. Then I will follow you and leave you trailing in the dust with what I learned from the Royal Road. You won't get the reaction I get-that I can GUARANTEE. No--not the tricks. Tricks don't matter. I learned that when I was in my cradle.

Card College is a perfectly fine tome if you have the personality of a dial tone and only want to learn the mechanics of what you do. The Royal Road will teach you to be a SHOWMAN and that is far more important than all the tricks and sleights in the world.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 4th, 2016, 11:58 am

IMHO, Royal Road is great, and as one who appreciates the classics, I think many of it's lessons are absolutely timeless. Indeed, it's one of my all time favorite books. Certainly, much of the "new" stuff being published is dreck, but that truism has always held, no matter the discipline.

However, as Steve Draun is fond of saying, card magic hasn't stood still since the 1940's. Others have taken the lessons of Royal Road, Erdnase, ECT, etc., built upon them, and advanced the art to heights the old masters could not have imagined (as more than one aging master has noted in print.) One need only to peruse the stunning work of a Guimaraes, a DaOrtiz, a Roth, or a Carney to realize the truth of that statement. Not only have they advanced the art technically, they are each performers of the highest level, IMHO.

In addition, teaching strategies and modalities have continued to adapt to changing technologies and societal norms--and often for the better. Simply put, in outstanding newer resources, sometimes not only is the technology of the sleights more advanced, but they are often taught in more user-friendly ways. I can think of no better example of this than Michael Close's "Closely Guarded Secrets", which still stands as the best example of thoughtful use of the new, while still teaching timeless principles (and an entertaining read to boot).

With this in mind, I think for many, Card College is a singular accomplishment. It's pedagogical approach notwithstanding, one of the highlights for me is the trove of audience-tested effects that Mr. Giobbi provides. He doesn't just detail the mechanics. In many cases, full blown presentations are given for the reader to study and adapt to their own style. For example, you'd hard pressed to find more charming presentations than those given within the routines in Volume 5. (I was going to go into specifics, but in the interest of not depriving anyone of the joys of discovery, I hereby defer.) Within the routines, Giobbi also gives innumerable tips on audience psychology, management, and being entertaining--just the sort of things Mr. Lewis lauds about Royal Road. Card College isn't just a collection of sleights and moves--indeed, the specific applications are amongst the highlights of the series.

So, as for me, I prefer to study the classics, but also to celebrate the worthwhile new. For example, I'm busy scripting a trick RR and ECT have in common (the ECT version is better) while also working to finally master the Vernon Cups and Balls for real people (Bob White has got to have the best false transfer EVER). At the same time, I'm eagerly awaiting the So Sato tome and figuring out how to block my presentation of a particular DaOrtiz miracle (without sounding like Dani). It's a great time to be alive in magic!

PS: Regardless of one's strengths as a performer, I reckon that waging a magic showdown with Mr. Duncan would be no mean feat. If "Tubthumping" is any indication, he is a knowledgeable, thoughtful, diabolical, entertaining...dare I say it...showman!

PPS: I'm probably going to regret this, but if you are a Jennings fan, check out page 18 of "Tubthumping" (and then forget I said anything please.)

performer

Postby performer » August 4th, 2016, 12:40 pm

I know all about Mr Duncan's ability as a performer. I have seen him on Scottish television. He used to be reasonably good but he ain't any more. And I am a far better tub thumper than he is anyway.

Again, I have read the Giobbi tips on presentation. Not quite the sort of thing I am looking for I am afraid. No disrespect to the chap of course but The Royal Road is far better in that particular department. Besides I am not particularly interested in any book written after 1954. They are full of old stuff rehashed anyway and the advice on presentation is usually awful. As soon as I see the awful word "scripting" instead of "patter" I know immediately the author has no idea what he is talking about.

As for Jennings I have no idea what he said about "tub thumping" but I always thought he had no tump to thud. I had dreadful trouble keeping awake watching him on video. Perhaps I am a little jaded. I don't think I have seen 50 good close up magicians in my entire life.

OK. I am being over generous. Possibly around 10 at the very most. And they are all dead or nearly dead. The rest must be reading these newer books.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 4th, 2016, 1:53 pm

I think the large section (> 85 pages) that Giobbi devotes to theory and presentation at the end of Volume 2 is one of the most overlooked and useful chapters of the whole series.

performer

Postby performer » August 4th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:I think the large section (> 85 pages) that Giobbi devotes to theory and presentation at the end of Volume 2 is one of the most overlooked and useful chapters of the whole series.

I will concede that I only looked at it cursorily although I tried hard to look at it non cursorily but alas I found it too intellectual for me. Too many big words for me so alas I lost interest. However, I will do the author the courtesy to have another look and try to concentrate on a page or two to see if I can exert some enthusiasm over the matter. But then I wrote a book for beginners on card tricks too but only got up to 5 chapters. And I wrote a chapter on presentation too. Less big words though and some very practical advice learned in the real world.

Anyone can present magic. Very few can present THEMSELVES presenting magic.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 7th, 2016, 12:16 am

performer wrote:I know all about Mr Duncan's ability as a performer. I have seen him on Scottish television. He used to be reasonably good but he ain't any more. And I am a far better tub thumper than he is anyway.

Not sure who you're thinking of Mark, but I've never seen Scottish television, let alone been on it.

Tubthumping, in the reference above, is a book on presentation. But it it was written in this century, so you can safely ignore it.

performer

Postby performer » August 7th, 2016, 5:27 am

In that case I must be thinking of another Bill Duncan which is a bit of a shame since he was quite good. Alas now, my opinion of you has gone back down again since I now have no evidence after all that you are any good. I have never heard of this Tubthumping book but no doubt this is because, as you stated it has been written after 1954 and as such would not have come to my attention. And if Larry Jennings gave it a good review then I had better resist the temptation to say rude things about the "blind leading the blind".

I shall investigate this alleged masterpiece of world literature though. Alas I have read too many chatterings about presentation by people that do not know how to present. It does make one a trifle cynical you know. Alas I find that most close up magicians either present too much or hardly present at all. They either have the personality of a dial tone or the personality of an overly loud church bell. I bet this book doesn't even mention that little matter. But then it doesn't have to. I just did.

performer

Postby performer » August 7th, 2016, 6:36 am

Oh dear! I just came across this information about the Tubthumping opus. I was prepared to give it a fair trial but alas I have now completely lost interest. The word "script" and "scripting" has turned me off completely. The correct word is PATTER. Anything else is pretentious and is always a very bad sign indeed.

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/duncan ... umping.htm

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 7th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Completely understandable Mark. I realize that American isn't your first language, which might be the cause of your confusion.

Script is just an American word that means "patter that wasn't included with the trick."

performer

Postby performer » August 7th, 2016, 9:28 pm

I say, old chap. You are speaking OUR language and it would behoove you to speak it properly. And it wouldn't hurt to use the correct spelling too. I have often thought that the Excited States should come under British rule once again. Free health care, nobody walking around with guns any more and a better educational system. Alas I don't think we would accept you.

Besides, from the description it sounds like you are giving suggested patter with the trick. I do hope not. I consider that a remarkably silly idea and I do not recommend it. What suits one person does not necessarily suit another. People should make up their own patter. I do hope it is not too long winded. That is a dreadful fault of American magicians for some odd reason. They equate endless chattering with showmanship when it is merely endless chattering. By the time they get to the end of the trick you have forgotten what the beginning was. I still remember Murray the famous escapologist telling me, "American magicians are so long winded". I have found this to be true generally speaking.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 8th, 2016, 2:24 pm

To those who might be interested in the book: "Tubthumping" isn't just a book of presentations to ape. (In fact, I'm certain Mr. Duncan would be the last to suggest readers to do so). He provides his own scripts (there's that word again ;) ) to illustrate practical applications of the principles he discusses in terms of presenting magic in an entertaining fashion. Along the way, he describes some very clever technical and constructional enhancements to some classic routines, and most importantly, explains why he made them.

Rather than slavishly promoting that Mr. Duncan's is the only way, the book is at it's best when it motivates the reader to examine his own work and better solve the inevitable problems contained in every effect. I've already mentioned a presentation that has caused me to reevaluate how I currently present a similar effect for the better, something that may not have occurred to me had I not read this book. Another highlight was a unique presentational justification for Roth's last hanging coin--it's a presentation few could use, but it's instructional in the way Mr. Duncan made this HIS routine.

It's clear from "Tubthumping" that Mr. Duncan is man who thinks deeply about his magic--quite the antithesis of using hoary old lines and cementing stereotypes--you know: the embarrassing mess so often foisted upon the public. If this sort of book appeals to you, it's well worth tracking down a copy. I found the book inspiring and not the least bit pretentious.

PS: I've got no commercial ties to the book, nor Mr. Duncan. I just think this book is excellent and wanted to pass that along.

performer

Postby performer » August 8th, 2016, 4:18 pm

In that case hopefully I will see a paragraph or two at some point to see if my opinion can be revised.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » August 9th, 2016, 1:02 am

ERNASEPHILE WROTE: It's clear from "Tubthumping" that Mr. Duncan is man who thinks deeply about his magic..."

I don't think that can ever be a bad thing.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 9th, 2016, 3:23 am

OK, let's get this back on target. I'm getting sick of hearing about the Duncan guy. I'm sure he's an egotistical asshat...

phantommenace wrote:also a general question, is there a list anywhere of a logical order of good tricks to learn as skills progress?

PhantomMenace, Mr. Giobbi built Card Collage to be a progressive course, with each volume building upon the next. They are meant to be used in the logical order they appear in print. And even though you didn't ask, I'll offer some advise. Don't take the easy route. Videos are a wonderful way to see how things should look, and to learn tricks if you are well grounded in your understanding of technique, but video has one very significant shortcoming. Our brains process video differently than text. Video is passive, while reading requires your brain to translate ideas into actions. Video allows you to easily know something; books require you to understand a thing.

Yes, it's harder, but the process of using your brain cells to translate ideas into physical actions means that the motions are yours, not some poor pantomime of someone else's actions. If you are aping someone else's actions you will never look as natural as you would if you do it "your way."

This side effect of video learning is so pronounced that you can see it in people who only learn from videos. I've seen several videos of people doing a well known move, from a popular trick, from a popular magic video. Only during the performance segment in front of a live audience the teacher had a small hiccup in the move. It's taught correctly in the studio teaching part, but in the live action bit it's a little bumpy. The problem is, the students learned do do it as in the performance segment instead of the way it's demonstrated (smoothly and correctly) in the teaching segment. My guess is because they watched the performance segment too often, and the teaching segment only enough to get the sequence. Books don't do that to you.

Good luck with your studies.

performer

Postby performer » August 9th, 2016, 6:57 am

I FAR prefer books and I think they have several advantages. I hardly even look at DVDs or videos. Apart from the fact that they are very inconvenient to watch they can be a bit off putting if the performer is absolutely dreadful which of course they usually are. There is a tendency to ape their style so you end up as dreadful as they are. I think my main problem with video is that they rarely teach presentation properly. A book can do that much better. The wonderful thing about a book teaching presentation is that you never see the author performing himself which could dent his credibility somewhat. And yet the advice may be good even though the practicing of the preaching isn't. But that won't matter as what you don't know can't hurt you.

However, having said that Alfred made a good point although I can't remember whether he made it on this forum or somewhere else. He stated that some people are wired differently and they should not be discouraged from learning by DVD if that is the way they are most comfortable with and find easier. And they should ignore old fuddie duddies like me and Bill Duncan who say books are best.

I concede that he may well have a point.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 9th, 2016, 11:15 am

Here is an interesting article that has some tangential bearing on the discussion at hand:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -a-laptop/

The whole article is a good read, but this is the part I found most interesting:

To evaluate this theory, Mueller and Oppenheimer assessed the content of notes taken by hand versus laptop. Their studies included hundreds of students from Princeton and UCLA, and the lecture topics ranged from bats, bread, and algorithms to faith, respiration, and economics. Content analysis of the notes consistently showed that students who used laptops had more verbatim transcription of the lecture material than those who wrote notes by hand. Moreover, high verbatim note content was associated with lower retention of the lecture material. It appears that students who use laptops can take notes in a fairly mindless, rote fashion, with little analysis or synthesis by the brain. This kind of shallow transcription fails to promote a meaningful understanding or application of the information.

I think the "synthesis by the brain" the researchers talk about is also the primary advantage of books in learning magic. When I read to find performance material, I find I have to be able to imagine myself performing the routine in my own style and words. However, when I watch videos to learn, I have to fight every sense to avoid assimilating parts the personality of the performer. The inevitable hero-worship of the video performers (since we all tend to purchase videos of people we admire) makes this all the harder. As an amateur, it's hard to find your own voice sometimes when the professional performer's voices initially seem so much brighter in your head. Personally, I've adopted the habit of not watching video to learn routines that are in print until I have worked out my own presentation. This helps me absorb the timing tips best taught by video, while helping me avoid this trap.

With greatest respect and understanding to those with dyslexia, sight impairment, and other reading difficulties, that's why I prefer books.

performer

Postby performer » August 9th, 2016, 12:13 pm

I might be changing my mind. I was reading a magic book this morning (I won't say which one) and I couldn't make head or tail of what the author was trying to get at. So I gave up in the end. Alas some authors are better than others. I don't even understand my own svengali instructions that I give out with the decks. If even I can't understand them then God alone knows what the punters make of it. Mind you, that might be a good thing as it protects the secrets of magic. I always feel a great sense of satisfaction that the instructions are quite incomprehensible. I would hate to give the punters value for money. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did that.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » August 9th, 2016, 4:51 pm

After reading erdnasephile's quote from the Scientific American article, I was reminded of something I used to do when I was a college professor back in the day teaching computer science. I always made sure that I never presented the examples in the textbook wherever possible (some "classics" were hard to avoid, of course) and, where it worked, would even do different examples for different sections of the same class during the same term. As I told my students, this was to ensure that they had multiple sources from which to "see and hear" and thus learn and reinforce the material: whatever I presented in their section, whatever I presented in the other section(s), what the book said, and via conversations with their fellow students.

Similarly, when it comes to learning magic, I like to read first and foremost. But there comes a point where I want to "see what it looks like" too. All of the aforementioned struggles to learn without aping another person's performance still apply for me too.

I'll also turn to DVD/video a lot sooner nowadays when I want to learn a move versus an entire effect. This goes back to one of my earliest card magic experiences: I had the basics of the jog shuffle down from Close-Up Card Magic way back when I was a youngling. But I never really learned how devastating it looked until 6 months later after I saw Harry Lorayne do it in person at Abbott's first Close-Up Convention in 1980.

I'm really looking forward to The Secrets of So Sato with its performance-only DVD. That will give me the best of both: text to read, think about, absorb, and glean the nuances from while also being able to "see what it looks like" (or better yet: "see how good it can look") in a high-quality example performance. From there begins the hard work of making the ones I really love into pieces that will work for my style and have my own presentational choices integrated as seamlessly as possible.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » August 10th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Instead of trying to convince this kid to read, I'm going to actually try to answer his question.

Yes, you made a good purchase with the Card College DVDS. I doubt there will be DVDS made for the other three books, but only Roberto and Jim Steinmeyer would know their plans for the future.

If you prefer DVDS to learn from, and you are a beginner who wants tricks that don't need to be set-up, I think you should look for Aldo Colombini's DVDS. He made many DVDS and most of them are easy to do card tricks using beginner sleights that you will have learned from the Card College DVDS. His DVDS are great value with lots of tricks and he even made specialized DVDS for impromptu card magic with tricks from a lot of different creators. That way, you could be exposed to different trick creators and see who's stuff you like.

You can check out some of the releases I'm talking about here. https://www.mymagic.com/creator/aldo-colombini
Bada-Bing! - The new e-book with Ten tricks for real world performance. Available now at http://retrorocketmagic.com/product/bada-bing-10-new-card-tricks-for-the-real-world/

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » August 10th, 2016, 7:38 pm

God bless Aldo! I know I am not alone in saying he is deeply missed! And he always placed an emphasis on being entertaining and engaging the spectators.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » August 12th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Aldo is deeply missed, indeed. Now that I'm publishing more, I think of him all the time when I wish I could show him a new trick. He always had improvements and ideas to make something just a little more commercial. He was very encouraging of my work and treated me like an old friend from the moment we met. I miss him.
Bada-Bing! - The new e-book with Ten tricks for real world performance. Available now at http://retrorocketmagic.com/product/bada-bing-10-new-card-tricks-for-the-real-world/

Return to “General”