why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 14th, 2013, 7:20 pm

hi I have joined this forum and wanted to join a few more, especially a uk one, like talk magic but on magic cafe I cant join as you cant join with a free email such as gmail etc and on talk magic there isnt even a button for joining and my question to the owners was ignored, anyone know why????
thanks

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby mrgoat » October 15th, 2013, 6:39 am

talkmagic is really bad, with really bad magicians giving really bad advice.

the tragic cafe is worse still

this is the best forum, so I'd not bother worrying about the other two!

Magic Fred
Posts: 173
Joined: June 7th, 2008, 2:27 am

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Magic Fred » October 15th, 2013, 8:57 am

Seconded. The Magic Cafe will rot your brain.

User avatar
Richard Kaufman
Posts: 23854
Joined: July 18th, 2001, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand
Location: Washington DC
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 15th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Welcome, phantom menace: we really like people to use capital letters and punctuation in their posts. Makes it easier to read!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Smurf
Posts: 493
Joined: May 31st, 2010, 11:23 am

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Smurf » October 17th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Well, it sounds like you know why you can't join The Magic Cafe. As for the other forum, you might try this:

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ucp.php?mode ... 8f65ef6162

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 17th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Thanks how did you find the link? I had spent ages searching.

Ted M
Posts: 899
Joined: January 24th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz
Location: Madison, WI

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Ted M » October 18th, 2013, 11:08 am

It's on the login page, in the section titled "REGISTER":

REGISTER
In order to login you must be registered. blahblahblah

And then there's a big button labeled REGISTER.

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ucp.php?mode=login


So, do you learn magic from books?

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 18th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Genuinely that button was not there before, it just had login and FAQ. I did write a message to
The admins so maybe they reinstated the button?! Who knows!

I personally really don't like learning magic from books I find it easier on DVD and no that's not cos I can't read or something haha. I actually have studied English and literature at university! I just am very much a visual learner.

Magic Fred
Posts: 173
Joined: June 7th, 2008, 2:27 am

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 1:14 am

Oh dear. Perhaps you would be more at home over at the Magic Cafe.

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 6:46 am

Fred? Please clarify....

User avatar
AJM
Posts: 1065
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby AJM » October 19th, 2013, 6:56 am

Spider senses tingling.....
Corner-boy Begrudger

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 9:14 am

Please stay on topic. I have zero interest in snarky comments. The previous person who made a snide remark about me belonging elsewhere should wonder what purpose his comment was intended to serve and whether it was constructive in any way.

Magic Fred
Posts: 173
Joined: June 7th, 2008, 2:27 am

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 9:56 am

Alright, I shall restate with a complete lack of snark.

Here on this forum, there is a higher percentage of posters who understand that there is no such thing as a "visual learner" and it is basically just a synonym for "lazy."

We all learn better visually, that is the nature of human beings. We also learn better when we take a more active role in the learning. This is why reading books and creating our own visualisations tends to yield a much better learning experience.

Just to preempt a few anticipated responses, I am not saying that videos do not have a place, just articulating my disdain for this "I'm a visual learner" phrase which actually has no meaning whatsoever and says absolutely nothing about the merits of learning from videos vs books.

So, very much on topic, you will find a greater percentage of like-minds over at the magic cafe who also indulge in this lazy kind of thinking. Thus, whether you agree with me or not about the merits of your argument, you'll probably feel more comfortable at the magic cafe where your sentiment seems to be shared by a high percentage of members.

The purpose my comment was intended to serve was to highlight that you might find it tough going here by declaring that you are "a visual learner" and therefore do not like learning from books. This is my impression of the respective forums.

Was that verbose enough for you? Personally I still think my previous comment summed it up nicely. Oh well.

User avatar
AJM
Posts: 1065
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby AJM » October 19th, 2013, 10:02 am

Oh Fred - methinks you've taken the bait.

The needle on my trusty Lewis-o-meter is currently off the scale....

Andrew
Corner-boy Begrudger

Brad Henderson
Posts: 3566
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: austin, tx

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 10:10 am

learning modalities are real

people do learn differently

having said that - a visual learner (by definition) learns well from ----- wait for it ------ BOOKS!

the issue isn't that visual learning modality predisposition is not real, the issue is that those who claim that as an excuse for not reading 1) don't know what visual learning is and 2) are lazy looking for a convenient excuse.

I hope we can all come together now that the facts are out.

brad (who learned all of this while earning his masters degree in education) Henderson

www.bradhenderson.com

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 10:17 am

It is supreme arrogance to inform people how best they learn and to state books are infinitely superior. To label someone lazy with no knowledge of them also shows supreme arrogance.
I will not lecture someone and tell them they must use a DVD and in the same way I do not expect being called lazy due to fact I make the CHOICE to use DVD because FOR ME it is a better learning system for the way I learn most effectively. I believe in utilising what tools and techniques of learning work best for the individual to achieve their goal I have no interest in debating the merits of DVD vs books.
For those that prefer books that's fantastic and for those who prefer dvd that's fine too. We all want to learn better magic so stick on topic and reign in the arrogance.

Brad Henderson
Posts: 3566
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: austin, tx

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 10:22 am

no one said any of that.

What was said was 'visual learners by definition learn best from visually processed stimuli - like books.'

this is not arrogance. this is the 'science' behind the phenomena YOU used to rationalize NOT liking books.

You are wrong - as are the hundreds of magicians who have attempted to rationalize their disinterest in reading by making the same inaccurate claim.

so if it's not laziness, it's ignorance.

which could be cured if one were willing to learn about what they choose to speak of

I don't know - by reading a book, maybe?

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 10:25 am

Keep drinking the kool aid. There's no universal system of learning and as stated I have no interest in a debate about DVD vs books. I've seen it a thousand times and people comes down on both sides of the debate. It's dull and irrelevant as a debate. I learn better with the aid of a DVD. Note also I was the one who got my thread hijacked by the book debaters.

Brad Henderson
Posts: 3566
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: austin, tx

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 10:35 am

no one is having that debate

you said you did not like to learn from books because you are a visual learner.

Visual learning is a learning modality - visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Tbey speak to the means through which students process stimuli.

When you read, you process that information with your eyes.

visual Learners, for example, will often recall information as they saw it on a page. They are often good note takers in class - transforming the auditory information of the lecture Into visual stimuli (the notes) which they more readily process.

YOU claimed to be a visual learner. Fair enough. Many are.

YOU claimed AS a visual learner, you would prefer a media other than books.

And on that you are being called out.

Don't want to read a book - I couldn't care less. I mean, you say you want to use the best tool for you, so willfully eliminating the foundational texts of magic from your education seems misguided and foolish, but hey, to each their own.

You can shoot yourself in your own foot all day - more power to you.

But don't play the 'visual learner' card - which you did - when you have no idea what you are talking about.

spouting off on subjects one knows nothing about - that's what they do at the cafe.

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 10:40 am

Yawn. Get back on topic troll.

Brad Henderson
Posts: 3566
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: austin, tx

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 10:42 am

phantommenace wrote:I personally really don't like learning magic from books I find it easier on DVD ..... I just am very much a visual learner.


quotes so phantom can 'see' where he made is innacurrate statement.

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 10:45 am

"I" that is "me" is a visual learner, I like learning from visual sources because that is how best I learn. MY CHOICE. Get off my thread I have no interest in an off topic debate about about books vs dvd. It's not of any internet whatsoever. I will use whatever method of learning that I learn from most effectively and suggest everyone chooses what's best for them.

Brad Henderson
Posts: 3566
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: austin, tx

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 11:00 am

phantom

I will type this slowly so you have a chance to understand it.

Do you know what a visual learner is? You use that term like you do. But I don't think you do

Visual learner is an educational term. You may be a visual learner. Nothing wrong with that. I'm a visual learner too.

BUT a visual learner - by definition (not my definition; but that accepted by education professional and the researches who uncovered the phenomenon) - learns well FROM books

I'm. not saying books are better than DVDs. No one is having that debate.

What I'm telling you is that you are using the term 'visual learner' incorrectly - as do many people (most often cafe magicians who don't want to read books).

Learn from whatever you want, phantom. If you believe you don't learn well from books because 'you are a visual learner' you are lying to yourself or intentionally operating from a position of ignorance.

That's just the facts.

and please do not spout false information on the forum. It makes all of us look ignorant.

Here's your tale away

There are things called learning modalities. One of those modalities is 'visual'. Reading is considered a visual modality activity. People who Learn well in the visual modality are called 'visual Learners'.

When you call yourself a visual Learner - as you did - you are saying that you learn well from visual modality activities - like reading.

The issue has Nothing to do with books or DVDs as a Learning tool.

The issue is your lack of understanding as to what visual Learning means.

User avatar
AJM
Posts: 1065
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby AJM » October 19th, 2013, 11:07 am

Oh dear, my Lewis-o-meter has just exploded...
Corner-boy Begrudger

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 11:16 am

The thread topic was answered ages ago. You are now trolling in your own time.

Brad Henderson
Posts: 3566
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: austin, tx

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Brad Henderson » October 19th, 2013, 11:21 am

Phantom,

have your leaned your lesson? Do you understand now that you were using a term incorrectly?

Magic Fred
Posts: 173
Joined: June 7th, 2008, 2:27 am

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Magic Fred » October 19th, 2013, 11:37 am

Well my point has been proven :)

phantommenace
Posts: 23
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby phantommenace » October 19th, 2013, 11:51 am

The moderators will deal with this issue.

Bill Mullins
Posts: 4494
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Bill Mullins » October 19th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Just curious, phantom -- as a visual learner, when you are watching a DVD, do you turn the volume down to zero? Or are you also an aural learner?

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby mrgoat » October 20th, 2013, 8:55 am

phantommenace wrote:The moderators will deal with this issue.


By laughing at you. :)

This is Daniel
Posts: 8
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 11:44 pm
Favorite Magician: Albert Einstein ???

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby This is Daniel » June 15th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Old thread I know.

But omg, really.
This thread gave me a really bad first-impression from this forum.
Phantom was just trying to be friendly, but he got harrased, YES HE GOT HARRASED, NO you can't say he didn't, he only said that he prefers videos over
books, he inmediatly got called lazy, and fred basically told him "get out of here junk" and for some reason related the cafe with prefering videos over books, and btw, some people got a REALLY wrong idea of the cafe.
Then he got hardly harrased again only for using a term incorrectly.
However, I do agree that learning from videos only won't lead to anything good, books may have some content that videos don't and they also got more content.
But, you could simply say that and try to make him understand that he also needs books. But no, you totally refused to help him and started trolling, yes you were trolling.
You don't need to be a genious to read the phantom posts and see that he was just trying to defend himself, but you just keept attacking.
For some reason, you guys were hardly hungry on proving him wrong.

And I have to say, I am totally sure that if phantom posted the same on the cafe, members would try to make him understand instead of saying "go to x forum, the people there are lazy just like you".

I expect to not find more people like this on the forum :) .

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby mrgoat » June 15th, 2014, 1:17 pm

This is Daniel wrote:Old thread I know.

But omg, really.
This thread gave me a really bad first-impression from this forum.
Phantom was just trying to be friendly, but he got harrased, YES HE GOT HARRASED, NO you can't say he didn't, he only said that he prefers videos over
books, he inmediatly got called lazy, and fred basically told him "get out of here junk" and for some reason related the cafe with prefering videos over books, and btw, some people got a REALLY wrong idea of the cafe.
Then he got hardly harrased again only for using a term incorrectly.
However, I do agree that learning from videos only won't lead to anything good, books may have some content that videos don't and they also got more content.
But, you could simply say that and try to make him understand that he also needs books. But no, you totally refused to help him and started trolling, yes you were trolling.
You don't need to be a genious to read the phantom posts and see that he was just trying to defend himself, but you just keept attacking.
For some reason, you guys were hardly hungry on proving him wrong.

And I have to say, I am totally sure that if phantom posted the same on the cafe, members would try to make him understand instead of saying "go to x forum, the people there are lazy just like you".

I expect to not find more people like this on the forum :) .


Quite the fourth post.

a) Everyone was polite to him at first
b) We soon realised he was a troll known to us all, so then people were not so polite to him
c) My guess is now that you are the OP of this thread, trying to get attention

This is Daniel
Posts: 8
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 11:44 pm
Favorite Magician: Albert Einstein ???

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby This is Daniel » June 16th, 2014, 1:19 pm

mrgoat wrote:
This is Daniel wrote:Old thread I know.

But omg, really.
This thread gave me a really bad first-impression from this forum.
Phantom was just trying to be friendly, but he got harrased, YES HE GOT HARRASED, NO you can't say he didn't, he only said that he prefers videos over
books, he inmediatly got called lazy, and fred basically told him "get out of here junk" and for some reason related the cafe with prefering videos over books, and btw, some people got a REALLY wrong idea of the cafe.
Then he got hardly harrased again only for using a term incorrectly.
However, I do agree that learning from videos only won't lead to anything good, books may have some content that videos don't and they also got more content.
But, you could simply say that and try to make him understand that he also needs books. But no, you totally refused to help him and started trolling, yes you were trolling.
You don't need to be a genious to read the phantom posts and see that he was just trying to defend himself, but you just keept attacking.
For some reason, you guys were hardly hungry on proving him wrong.

And I have to say, I am totally sure that if phantom posted the same on the cafe, members would try to make him understand instead of saying "go to x forum, the people there are lazy just like you".

I expect to not find more people like this on the forum :) .


Quite the fourth post.

a) Everyone was polite to him at first
b) We soon realised he was a troll known to us all, so then people were not so polite to him
c) My guess is now that you are the OP of this thread, trying to get attention


Polite ? He just said that he likes videos better and fred inmediatly said that phantom should be on another forum because he was lazy.

And no, I am not the op.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby mrgoat » June 16th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Doesn't matter really. You've now learned the op is a well known troll

So why are you defending him if you're not him?

This is Daniel
Posts: 8
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 11:44 pm
Favorite Magician: Albert Einstein ???

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby This is Daniel » June 18th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Because I am the OP BUAJAJAJA.
Nope, just kidding.
Still, I don't see any trolling on this thread from the op.
Anyway.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby mrgoat » June 18th, 2014, 1:26 pm

This is Daniel wrote:Because I am the OP BUAJAJAJA.
Nope, just kidding.
Still, I don't see any trolling on this thread from the op.
Anyway.


This forum is well known for preferring books over DVDs, so the troll posted saying he preferred DVDs to stir things up.

There, you're up to speed now.

User avatar
whitecat
Posts: 7
Joined: June 27th, 2014, 8:49 am
Favorite Magician: Derren Brown
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby whitecat » July 1st, 2014, 4:50 am

Speaking about forums, somfv3.com seems quite alright. At least I found it quite friendly and helpful.

I'm just new on genii forum, however I get quite positive first impression. :)
Everything you see is illusion.

Mentalism?

iHop
Posts: 2
Joined: March 1st, 2015, 12:23 am
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: New Jersey

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby iHop » March 1st, 2015, 9:01 pm

This is my second day on the GeniiForum.
After reading this thread, I see it isn't any different than The Magic Cafe.
Ihor

User avatar
Matthew Field
Posts: 2733
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Slydini
Location: Hastings, England, UK

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby Matthew Field » March 2nd, 2015, 4:28 am

Right you are!

Matt Field

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: why cant I join talkmagic or magiccafe?

Postby mrgoat » March 2nd, 2015, 2:08 pm

iHop wrote:This is my second day on the GeniiForum.
After reading this thread, I see it isn't any different than The Magic Cafe.


Obvious troll is obvious.


Return to “General”