Selling rare books from my fathers collection

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Liz Stanton

Selling rare books from my fathers collection

Postby Liz Stanton » October 15th, 2012, 4:15 am

Hi. I'm new here and I'm not a magician my father was (Noel Stanton). He passed away a few years ago and it is only now we have decided to sell on his much loved collection of magic books and tricks where they will be appreciated. I have books from The Mind & Magic of David Berglas to a signed Slydini and rare Frank Garcia books to name a few but theres around 80 upwards. Am I allowed to advertise on collectors marketplace and how would it work? I've tried listing a few on ebay but its not attracting serious buyers mostly watchers! Many thanks for any advice. Elizabeth

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Selling rare books from my fathers collection

Postby Joe Pecore » October 15th, 2012, 7:42 am

The rules for the "collectors marketplace" are here: http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... =14&page=1
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 15th, 2012, 9:43 am

It is worth pointing out that "signed Slydini" might not be: The Magical World of Slydini has "best magical wishes Slydini" printed on the title page. Many have assumed this was a 'real' signature. But if your 'signed Slydini' is something else - great!

Liz Stanton

Postby Liz Stanton » October 15th, 2012, 10:38 am

Thanks for the advice so far! Yes it is a personal message to my father written inside of the book which is called The Magic of Slydini and another signed hardback by Cellini called The Royal Touch. Ive yet to discover any more signed books but from research I've done so far many of my dads books are rare. He was a well respected magician of the older generation and knew quite a few famous magicians. How much the signed ones are worth will be interesting to find out. Thanks again.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 15th, 2012, 11:23 am

Both Cellini and slydini signatures are quite common. The first slydini book I ever purchased was signed boldly in red ink to a well known magician. I bought it from a very informed dealer. The price was completely in line with unsigned copies. I do not believe either signature will add substantially to the value of either volume.

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » January 23rd, 2013, 12:09 pm

And we never heard from Ms. Stanton again. Must have been turned off by the responses. Too bad....

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 23rd, 2013, 4:55 pm

I have a large collection of magic books signed by famous magicians to me. They all read the same way:

"To Bob Farmer -- I've seen you work -- this book is not for you."

magicfish

Postby magicfish » January 24th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Oddly Bent wrote:And we never heard from Ms. Stanton again. Must have been turned off by the responses. Too bad....

I don't blame her, considering the discouragment she received here.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 25th, 2013, 3:57 am

magicfish wrote:
Oddly Bent wrote:And we never heard from Ms. Stanton again. Must have been turned off by the responses. Too bad....

I don't blame her, considering the discouragment she received here.

I see now discouragement, just sensible advice about her collection. She clearly thought the sigs added value, learned people advised her this was unlikely.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 25th, 2013, 4:39 am

now = no

Return to “General”