What no other magician or book will tell you about!!!!

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Irving Quant

What no other magician or book will tell you about!!!!

Postby Irving Quant » October 9th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Dear youth of magic,

Here is something for FREE that will help make your magic strong and better. This thing alone will give you a ton of advice by itself!

These are the things that only few magicians, if at all, will tell you about. I am talking about THE real secret of magic.

http://www.irvingquant.com/The%20Secret.html

I am taking this off in a month, so be sure to read it while it is there!
Also, feel free to discuss it here and ask me any questions. I stay busy all the time, so it might be difficult for me to answer a billion questions. Just be patient.

All the best,

IQ

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: What no other magician or book will tell you about!!!!

Postby Tom Frame » October 9th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Irv, you knuckle-walking cretin! The past tense of "teach" is "taught", not "thought"! Clean up your essay, pronto!

Hugs,

Tom

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 9th, 2008, 9:02 pm

You are the second person to tell me about that. Sorry sorry, problem taken care of.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 9th, 2008, 11:59 pm

"God gave you two hears"

Jebers...

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 10th, 2008, 12:07 am

man...you guys are ruthless today! :)

Thanks for the corrections.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » October 10th, 2008, 1:42 am

Sorry. I can't see well enough to read black against dark gray. Elderly eyes, you know.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » October 10th, 2008, 2:47 am

Spellbinder,

Click in the box with the essay. Hit CTRL - A to highlight all the text. Then hit CTRL - C to copy it.

Open Notepad and press CTRL - V to paste the text. Tada! Black text on a white background.

(Use equivalent keys if you're on a Mac.)

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 10th, 2008, 9:54 am

Sorry for the delay in responding. Spellbinder, I have send you the article on a private message. The reason I did it with that color is because I have been having problems with some browsers showing different color backgrounds, thus making it completely illegible.

I would appreciate it if you could pass the message that this article exists to others who you believe this could be of help.

All the best,

Irv

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 10th, 2008, 10:20 am

The message that a classical education offers benefits not found on the street or a peergroup of the same age has been with us since the ancient Greeks, Chinese and likely other cultures as well.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 10th, 2008, 1:35 pm

My question to you all is: what are you doing in the beginner's section commenting about something you already know?

What you should do is pass this the word around to others who might find it helpful instead. This article was not written for pros or whatever. It was written for those who seek help and nobody ever helps them. I'm not saying I know it all, but I help out in whatever I can. You should as well.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 10th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Sorry you lost me with the word 'should'. Add a bombastic tone and enough sweeping generalizations to paint generations in a few phrases and you're off to a running stop.

Now why should others care about your ever so respectfully phrased sincere questions?

That was the sarcastic method - for those who can enjoy humor even while looking to get Platonic with youngsters.

And now a few words from a better writer:

...these children that you spit on
as they try to change their worlds
they're immune to your consultations...
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on October 10th, 2008, 2:01 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: IMHO there are few things worse than a do-gooder looking to do some good.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 10th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Irving Quant wrote:My question to you all is: what are you doing in the beginner's section commenting about something you already know?

You should have said "Please make no comments about this" if you didn't want anyone to try and help you with your multiple typos and illegible web design.

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 10th, 2008, 2:01 pm

I appreciate the help indeed. What I don't appreciate is Jonathan's ignorant comments. Yes Jonathan, everyone knows this has been talked about before since the Greeks. I don't care and neither does the person looking for guidance.

mrgoat, what I was referring to when I asked my question was in regards to comments in regards to the topic. I really appreciate the spelling errors and things like that. I wrote that one evening and did not check it, I'm sorry, but I'm a busy guy. But hell, I am using MY BREAKS, the free time that I freaking have to rest, to respond and to help others. Why? because I actually do care when others don't. Because I am sick of people, who think they know it all, have this huge ego in them that blocks them from helping others. By the way, English is my second language. So I apologize for my mistakes in regards to language.

Do you think it is fair that Jonathan comes in with comments like the one he did without even helping? I don't. But he does. After all, he is allowed to say whatever he wants right?

I apologize to the other members here for my comments. Richard, I am sorry for it as well. But I stand with this opinion since nobody else will say it (or do it in case of the internet)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 10th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Unfortunately you've made what could be a positive effort into a topic all about yourself. You started that tact with the opening statement "What no other magician or book will tell you about!!!!" as if there were not even one other suggesting our beginners talk to their elders and find a suitable mentor and then to read all the old books they could (even giving examples from the oldest available)

But no... it's about you Irving. That break you've been missing seems a good idea - enjoy your break. Maybe when you are done being sick, freaking and generally ignorant and unkind you might be able to offer the sort of tolerant support and positive example that makes for a good mentor.

"I don't care and neither does the person looking for guidance." Really?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 10th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Jonathan, I am just going to let it go. I'm not here to talk to you, I am here to talk to others who would like help.

If there are any questions in regards to finding a mentor, guidance, please ask. I might not know the answer, but I will be able to point you to the people that do.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 10th, 2008, 11:55 pm

I hate to break this to you, Irv, but I've said probably a half dozen times on this very forum that one of, if not THE best way to learn magic is from a mentor. I know from personal experience as I had one of the best who ever lived. Your "revelation" is hardly a secret.

I'm not alone. Others have also posted the same, either agreeing with me or relating their own experiences. Several good friends of mine had excellent mentors in their youth and are fine magicians and entertainers today because of it.

You do give good advice about proper manners and good social skills, but as for what you think has never been revealed, sorry, it's been talked about and discussed many times.

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 11th, 2008, 12:57 am

Oh, I know. But if I post "how to get a mentor" would not be as exciting to read as what I posted right? Marketing...never fails ;)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 11th, 2008, 7:31 am

Irving Quant wrote:Oh, I know. But if I post "how to get a mentor" would not be as exciting to read as what I posted right? Marketing...never fails ;)

Except in this case, it really has.

As Mr Townsend pointed out, your title blew out of all proportions what could have been a nice useful post into one that stank of hyperbole. You built it up and 'marketed' it as some holy grail of unfindable advice. When you were politely told this, you seem to fly off the handle. Calling people names. Calling Mr Townsend ignorant.

I work in marketing.

With a cool head in the morning read all this thread as if you were a 3rd party. Say, a young magician (your target audience). See if you think you come across as a nice, gracious man trying to help others, or as an annoyed, angry and rude name-calling ungreatful oddball.

I mean no disrepect, I am not trying to be rude, I am not trying to insult you. But I think they way you have reacted here has done you no favours.

Damian

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 11th, 2008, 10:23 am

Thank you for your comments.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 11th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Irving Quant wrote:Oh, I know. But if I post "how to get a mentor" would not be as exciting to read as what I posted right? Marketing...never fails ;)

So you think it is appropriate to begin a relationship with a lie? That tells me what I need to know about you.

Perhaps you should go into politics. "Marketing," or as the rest of us usually call it - lying - is rewarded there.

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » October 11th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Well, it is not a lie either. Few books talk about the subject, and even worst, few magicians ever speak about this subject to the degree that it actually reaches those who need it.

Postby 000 » October 13th, 2008, 5:55 am

Mentors are defenitely best...........failing which are to have some 'buddies'ie friends who share ideas etc.
Irving, I believe you started this thread with the best of intentions( and was adressed to The Magic Youth)but is the article down?....there's only a few lines on your link. Thanks.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » October 14th, 2008, 2:47 pm

I enjoyed the essay Mr. Quant it is interesting that most of the magicians that I have met in my lifetime all have an opinion on what makes a "good" magician.

My Dad (Billy Bishop) was fond of saying that the difference between a professional magician and an amateur magician was 200 shows.

With that in mind I would add that in my own opinion having an "experienced mentor" help the student along the way is the best way to learn magic - and help hone the magic that the student may be working out on his or her own.

Back when I was just starting out before DVD's and Video. The other great way to learn magic was to go see a lecture that an "experienced performing magician" would have from time to time in the back room of "Magic Inc."

Those were the good old days.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » October 26th, 2008, 10:43 pm

[size:11pt]10-4 on a mentor.

As a youth I first learned about magic in the same way I first learned about sex.

From listening to the older guys talk about it on dark inner city street corners.

They were more wrong than right on the magic secrets :( but more right than wrong on the sex angle. :)

Youth is wasted on the young. [/size]

It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Return to “General”