Linking Finger Rings

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Linking Finger Rings

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2002, 11:12 pm

Koran, McComb, Osterlind. Anybody have an opinion as to the BEST Linking (Himber) Finger Routine out there? The strongest routine I've seen LATELY is Bruce Cervon's. Very convincing!

Pete Biro

Re: Linking Finger Rings

Postby Pete Biro » May 11th, 2002, 11:33 pm

IMHO Nick Lewin's is the strongest I have seen. I have not seen Cervon's (although I should as I believe he is using something I gave him in his routine).

The worst handling but STRONGEST REACTION that I ever saw with the effect (two standing ovations) was Kreskin's at the University of California, Berkeley campus, in an auditorium show. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » May 13th, 2002, 6:47 am

I haven't seen Cervon do it, but I really like his performing style and think that he would sell the trick extremely well. However, of the people that I've seen perform the trick (live or on video), Nick Lewin's performance is tops.

-Jeremy

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 13th, 2002, 7:21 am

Curiously, I've never in general enjoyed this routine because the versions performed by most of the top performers (a few of whom have been named above) can be figured out by smart laymen. This has happened to me at the Magic Castle when I've had guests in to see the shows. With one huge exception: Nick Lewin's version (which uses 5 rings) is sooooo funny you don't even care how it's done. You MIGHT be able to see him do it by buying the video of his act (only $20) from his web site. (Obviously, don't view this with the intention of stealing the routine.) Nick also has a 6-minute clip from his act on his web site for free, and I just spent the last 6 minutes laughing as I checked it out. A most underrated performer. Take a look at www.nicklewin.com .

David Regal

Postby David Regal » May 13th, 2002, 10:45 am

At the Magic Castle, the effect that never fails to start talk among the laypeople is the linking finger rings. Whenever it is being performed, I hear discussions about it all through the building. Of all the performances I've seen of the effect, Bruce's is the most incredible, as his has a convincer at the end that becomes a visual punctuation signaling the conclusion of the routine, and is a natural applause cue as well. In addition, there is an audible GASP at this moment. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Pete, I don't know what your contribution to the handling is, but WOW.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 13th, 2002, 11:05 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
The worst handling but STRONGEST REACTION that I ever saw with the effect (two standing ovations) was Kreskin's at the University of California, Berkeley campus, in an auditorium show.
What I thought was “amazing” about Keskin's presentation (when I saw him way back in the 80s) was how he verbally exposed the “fake ring used by magicians,” said he didn't use one – then, obviously, proceeded to use one! Of course the lay audience thought they had just witnessed a miracle of psychokinesis – at least that was the reaction he got. All these years later, I can still say that it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

Dustin

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2002, 1:35 pm

Ron Wilson's handling is published in "The Uncanny Scot" and is also excellent. The description is very clear and Ron brings out many points that could only have been learned through hundreds of performances.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 15th, 2002, 1:00 am

There's a Himber ring routine in the book "The Warpsmith Returns" (1996) by someone named Tom Stone.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 15th, 2002, 8:03 am

David R... "My contribution" to what Cervon is doing is something that was passed on to me, in private, by Al Koran. After Koran died, and I was with Bruce talking about the trick, I felt that it would be OK to give him the information.

Initially I told Bruce about the final move that I devised (it is on an about to be released video from Joe Stevens) that uses a pencil with a bit of invisible thread.

The effect is that you have two rings hanging on a pencil, seemingly linked, when suddenly one visibly drops off the other (thanks to the simple hookup with a 4 inch piece of thread).

The Koran item was visually the same, using a pen, but the modus operandi was different. Bruce, I believe, decided to use the pen version.

Should I put the effect into my performing repertior I would use the effect, but not sure which method.

BTW... for the record the "Himber" finger rings were from the genius mind of Persi Diaconis, when he was working for Himber. Persi went to manufacturing jeweler Willie Schneider (in NY) and the Himber Ring was created. It was NOT a variation on the arthritic ring as many believe. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”