Dove Pan, Bengal Net, and Temple Screen

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Dove Pan, Bengal Net, and Temple Screen

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2003, 8:18 pm

After some 42 years as a magic hobbyist, I have finally acquired these classic pieces of apparatus magic in a good buy. For those of you who use these in kid shows (or any other show), I would appreciate your thoughts upon their uses.

I think that the Pan and the Net would function best as part of some larger routine, much as one would use a Devil's Hank or a Change Bag, i.e., as a utility prop. The Temple Screen, rather than merely a production piece, might be used to produce each item used in a parlor or small platform show (a square circle could be used similarly, I suppose, but the flat, folded appearance of the Temple Screen would seem to have more impact, IMHO).

Any suggestions or routine outlines are welcome. Thanks in advance; I look forward to the discussion that I hope this engenders.

Regards,

Jon

Re: Dove Pan, Bengal Net, and Temple Screen

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2003, 10:40 am

Years ago, I worked with a partner (Monte Johnson) and we worked out a routine with a white rabbit, the Bengal Net and Dagger Box. We used a jungle hunting theme, wore pith helmets and - Elmer Fudd voice here - were 'hunting wabbits! hahahahah!' Jungle music played as we produced the rabbit from the dagger box, later vanishing it in the bengal net.

Dang! I just had a great idea! We should have put the bunny on a little motorcycle before vanishing him! Anyway, thay's what we came up with... :rolleyes:

Jeff Haas

Re: Dove Pan, Bengal Net, and Temple Screen

Postby Jeff Haas » October 3rd, 2003, 3:00 pm

If you're going to use a Dove Pan in a kidshow, use it at the end to produce wrapped candy to give out.

In the old days, magicians used to bake a cake in a Dove Pan...actually putting flower, an egg, sugar, and then lighter fluid in the pan. Then they'd set the mess on fire, and voila! A cake.

But who wants to make a mess like that? Instead, I came up with this approach...take a bunch of things that wouldn't normally be food, and turn them into food. It's "magic baking," right? You can bend the rules.

Example: Sugar (in packet) + aluminum foil = Hershey's Kisses.

Another example: Sugar + colored ribbons = gummy worms or candy canes. Pick the appropriate colors for the application.

Don't use any lighter fluid or flash paper, just put the ingredients into the pan, cover it, make the magic gesture, and presto! Goodies!

Jeff

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”