Envelope Exchange

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Envelope Exchange

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2001, 4:47 pm

How can I design a cigar box (ordinary item) so I can exchange an empty envelope for one with a playing card inside? The routine is to put a card into an envelope, have the card disappear and appear in a previously shown empty envelope that was put inside a cigar box. Any ideas for making a cigar box that can do this exchange?

Jeff Haas

Re: Envelope Exchange

Postby Jeff Haas » November 11th, 2001, 1:22 am

Stu,

A few methods spring to mind, adapted from other props.

- Card box. A flap drops down, covers the first envelope and reveals a second one.

- Dove pan. Would need to put a seperate top on, not hinged, that would drop load box.

- Himber wallet/box. See recent deck switching box from Fantasio (I think).

- Annemann billet box. Probably not appropriate, but this allows you to switch billets dropped through a slot in the top for others. In the Annemann book.

Other places I'd look for ideas would be the various wooden boxes -- silk cabby, etc. There might be one of those that could be adapted.

Jeff

Brad A._dup1

Re: Envelope Exchange

Postby Brad A._dup1 » November 11th, 2001, 11:25 pm

In Martin Lewis' newest lecture...

He puts a bottle in a cigar box...it vanishes. He replaces it back into a larger cigar box. Then, at the right time both boxes are opened, and there is now the bottle.

The smaller cigar box has no bottom <Martin knocks this out by actually removing a cigar from the non-bottom small box> When he puts the bottle in that box, he has the box on the table, and loads it into a pocket of the table.

Then, when he's finished with that box, he puts it inside another. This larger cigar box has a bottle already inside.

Now, this is what I remember from the lecture... it's quite close to what happened. Also, I'm sure there are better methods for what you want. Jeff mentioned some good methods.

Using a card box idea might be most ideal. Having a card loaded in the top...when you close the box, you're all clean. (well, you know what I mean)

-Brad

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: bradmagic ]
Former Vonnegut Character

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”