fire retardant for black art curtains

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Umpa Duze

fire retardant for black art curtains

Postby Umpa Duze » November 27th, 2005, 9:52 pm

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can suggest a safe method for fireproofing black velvet. I built a black velvet spook room, and I want to make sure that I can safely operate it in a variety of situations. I have been told that it is important to use a fire retardant on the material, but I am not sure what to use to ensure I do not ruin the material.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Umpa Duze

Sal Perrotta

Re: fire retardant for black art curtains

Postby Sal Perrotta » November 27th, 2005, 10:58 pm

Eric, it is important to fire proof the fabric. Some theaters, catering halls etc. will require it as a precondition to use their space. Whatever product you use, save the label and paste it on a sheet of paper to show to the fire marshall if required.
You may also need a certificate that attests to the fact that the fire proofing was done according to spec. Local fire depts. vary as to this requirement and you may need to contact a local fire marshall to see what is acceptable. If you get one locally, it more often than not will pass any inspection...if it occurs. As to the product, there are easy premixed liquid spray materials available from a theatrical paint and fabric suppliers. Here is one just to give you an idea what is available....check under liquid/fibers heading

http://www.rosebrand.com/A_Com/Category ... =6&CATID=9

Be sure to calculate the amount needed to spray both sides of the fabric and try to do this outside. Most of the currently available products have a slight odor.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”