Best Chinese Stick

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Pete Biro

Re: Best Chinese Stick

Postby Pete Biro » November 7th, 2003, 8:50 am

I got something we need to collaborate on...
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » November 7th, 2003, 9:06 am

collaborate??? sounds good!!! you know my email.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2004, 9:30 pm

Try my Chinese Sticks they are the greatest. These sticks are large, aluminum, glossy powder coated sticks, and the end caps are beautiful, polished, motorcycle-chrome on aluminum! The square design inherently eliminates internal tangling of the string, and each stick is enhanced with a teflon ramp and polished ceramic guides to make this a superior action! Our goal with these Chinese Sticks was to bring you the smoothest operation with the least amount of tilt required, in a very stunning package! Equipment perfect for the working professional.

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2004, 4:59 pm

I have a set of original Haenchen sticks that have served well over the years and yes I do prefer the square stick to the round. One thing that I have discovered that few ever learn about the sticks is that when you are done using them, pull both the strings down and then wrap them around the sticks which prevents the weights from tangling when the sticks are not in use.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Your source for unique mentalism world-wide

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » December 23rd, 2004, 7:59 pm

I have a set that were hand-made by Vic Kirk. Vic was a consumate professional who performed mainly on cruise ships with his lovely wife Mary.

Vic's Chinese Sticks are simple, square-shaped metal tubes painted red with the standard tassle-end strings. However, they are are the smoothest operating sticks that I have ever seen.

By the way, Pete Biro does one of the best stick routines out there. It's performed and explained on the Steven's Magic Emporium video tape dedicated to the Chinese sticks.

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2005, 6:41 pm

I still go back to Martin Lewis "Rip Sticks" of off him making magic video (also in Martins Miracles I Belive. You have to make them up but the look less prop e, and it add to the mystery when you tear them up and throw them out at the end. (just my 2 cents)

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2005, 8:45 pm

For anyone interested there is a complete and honest review of my Chinese Sticks in the March Issue of Genii Magazine. Thank you Danny Orleans for a very complete and honest review.

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2005, 4:14 pm

Beware with the $55 Kovari sticks. They are excellent sticks but they are not the sticks with the extra long string. Those are called Kovari's Ultimate Chinese Sticks. I don't think they are being produced any longer. I have used a set for over 20 years and love them. I am always looking for another set as a back up. I anyone has a set they wish to part with please email me. isaacfawlkes@yahoo.com

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » March 9th, 2005, 4:59 pm

The best ones I ever saw were made by Lew Zafran. The sticks (apparently) worked in any position. His grandson inherited them. He made only one set of these.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 9th, 2005, 5:55 pm

Cehck the Stevens Video where I show my no tilt sticks (fooled Joe Berg).

My electronic ones are all apart awaiting a re-do.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2005, 5:06 pm

guys im sorry but the chinese sticks are a magicians magicians trick...they are not reality

laypeeople cant relate

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2005, 10:15 pm

For any members who are interested...Precision Magic no longer produces our version of the Chinese Sticks. To all who supported this product we thank you.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 7th, 2005, 10:27 pm

Laypeople do like the sticks... I have success with them, and the best all around magical performer of our time Fred Kaps ALWAYS used them in his pro act. As did Roy Benson.
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 8th, 2005, 6:03 am

Jay Marshall also had a fine routine with them.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 8th, 2005, 7:47 am

Silent Mora. I have always liked the sticks that Silent Mora made so much that I reproduced several sets of the "mora sticks" about 15 years ago and made the weights with .308 cartridges filled with lead. Mora hand painted each set of his sticks.

There's something really magical to me about the Mora pieces that you don't get with the modern units. 20 years ago you could buy a set of Mora originals for $50 or less but I havent seen a set offered in quite some time.

-=tabman

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 8th, 2005, 8:58 am

A little know type of "Chinese Stick" was created by the late Scotty Hooten. His sticks, and the method, was brought to my attention by Persi Diaconis. The system Hooten devised was diabolical, in that the strings 'DID' CONNECT from one stick to the other--AT FIRST--but then 'disconnected' and became standard in their way of working.

Somehow I got hold of a set (Hooten made only a very few of these) and as luck would have it met him at an Abbott Get Together, where we struck a friendship.
Stay tooned.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » August 8th, 2005, 8:51 pm

I've seen a couple sets of Silent Mora sticks show up on ebay in the the past couple of years. Truly grasshopper, one must become attuned to the ebb and flow of the 'bay ;)

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 14th, 2005, 3:33 am

I like the velco tip Pete & will try it. My sticks were made by Burtini in 1947. The are the square, heavy metal type & the weights covering are kept smooth by rubbing graphite (a pencil( over them ; about every 5 years! They have never let me down in 58 years. A great short routine( about 26 lines) in rhyme can be found in the Roy Johnson book, Final Call (Published by Goodliffe Publications)page 41. it too uses an extra tassel.
Then there is a funny (with cheeky & optional but not for youngsters, last verse), all in rhyme by UK's Don Simpson. It's in his Kid's Show lecture notes. magicunlimited.92@virgin.net I'm now tempted to use this after 58 years of my own routine.
Allen Tipton UK

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2005, 12:41 pm

I recently bought two sets of General Grant's Chinese Sticks. They are the best working sticks I have come across. One pair is 9" long and has square ends whereas the longer pair is 14" and has round ends. Both sets work beautifully. He made them with teflon inside. I decided to get two different pairs, one set for close up and one for stage work. Also, if I wish, I can finish the routine using three sticks. BTW,They have just recently been reduced in price, but even at their original price they are well worth it.

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2005, 4:05 pm

In my experience, the friction of the string going through the holes is just as important (if not more important) as the friction of the weight in the tube. The string or cord must be very smooth and flexible.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 6:38 am

In 1976 at the P.C.A.M Pete Biro did a great Chinese Stick routine with a original ending with a third tassle.I believe he taught this in his lecture.I wonder if his lecture notes on the construction of the ending are still available or has he released it some other way...Cordially,Howard

Joe Strauch

Postby Joe Strauch » April 29th, 2009, 4:06 am

Check out my collection of over 70 sticks, if anyone has any they want to sell for my collection, please contact me!

http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr11 ... ?start=all

Joe Strauch

Magic Mike

Postby Magic Mike » April 29th, 2009, 8:40 am

Very nice, Joe!

Roland

Postby Roland » May 7th, 2009, 12:29 am

The best Chinese sticks are the original Haenchen. (Mine are circa 1972.) They're smooth as silk. The modern Viking's look the same on the outside but looks aren't everything. (The weights are a different material.) You might pay a few bucks extra for the originals but they'll last forever.

Good luck,
Roland
http://www.danceofillusion.com

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”