Soft Shoe Monte Questions

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Soft Shoe Monte Questions

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2006, 6:39 pm

I've been working on Jim Steinmeyer's Soft Shoe Monte, but have run into a problem. I may not be reading the instructions correctly, but in the first few moves, after you display the cards then switch to the gaff (which I won't disclose here), it seems the money card inexplicably (from the spectator's point of view) changes position. That is, the real money card is between the two indiscriminate cards, then when displayed via the gaff, it's suddenly on top of the pack. Has anyone dealt with this issue? If I can get around this, I like the routine very much, and would like to perform it for an office function.

Also, I did want to comment that the routine reminds me a great deal of a Gaetan Bloom monte routine from years ago that involved a mylar gaff. Can't recall the name at the moment, but it was also a nice effect.

Gary Brown

Jeff Haas

Re: Soft Shoe Monte Questions

Postby Jeff Haas » March 18th, 2006, 12:31 am

Gary, you're right...the Steinmeyer gimmick bears a resemblance to the Bloom gimmick. Steinmeyer's routine reminds me of "Sidewalk Shuffle" where the money card keeps jumping around magically, especially the ending.

FYI, Bloom's very clever monte is still available on Kevin James' website.

Kevin James catalog

Jeff

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Soft Shoe Monte Questions

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 18th, 2006, 7:31 am

The "Bloom" card is actually Charles Jordan's--invented almost 100 years ago. Jordon used a cigarette paper rather than mylar, so he didn't get the snapping effect that Bloom achieves. The Bloom card is much better, of course, and allows you to do a lot more.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”