Brining Magic to the Ring?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Brining Magic to the Ring?

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Hello fellow Magi. I have been thinking that it would be cool if magic could be tied into a WWE type character. How do you make this character seem powerful with magic and not look cheesy. Black Doves, Phone book tearing, Straight Jacket escape beat down? Does anyone have any ideas I would love to talk about them. Any help on this would be really Appreciated :genii:

Re: Brining Magic to the Ring?

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2006, 7:57 am

Originally posted by MakinU1der:
How do you make this character seem powerful with magic and not look cheesy.
Hopefully no one will take this the wrong way, but magicians are almost universally perceived as cheesy. Just take a look at the brilliant (but cancelled) Fox show "Arrested Development". One of the main characters is a magician who embodies EVERY stereotype of the cheesy magician. THAT'S the public's perception of magic in general. That's why we're so easy to spoof. We must constantly fight against and rise above this stereotype to change people's perceptions, one person at a time.

Add the cheese factor to that of WWE? Perhaps a sign of the apocalypse...

;)

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2006, 12:21 pm

It sounds like you want to make the character a strong man not a magician. If I were going to do a charater I would have him do something to the opponent.

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2006, 2:53 pm

Originally posted by The Student:
It sounds like you want to make the character a strong man not a magician. If I were going to do a charater I would have him do something to the opponent.
I do have some strength stunts in mind like the cant be lifted, can't be pushed, tearing a deck in half. Maybe a wrist schakle match where the oppent winds up with them on in the end. I'm just throwing this out here to hear some creative and not so cliche' ideas, or maybe someone will plant a seed for me to grow on? who knows but if you think you might have a unique idea or routine I would like to hear it. Hope to hear from ya'll soom thanks.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”