Looking for new switches for razorblade swallowing

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Looking for new switches for razorblade swallowing

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 8:18 pm

I'm on the road and added razorblade swallowing to my routine. I'm trying to pull the switch off without using a gimmicked stand, etc. I know of three simple switches, one that uses a glass with dark liquid in it and an earth magnet at the buttom to catch the razors as I pretend to wash the razors down. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Because I am on the road I can't refer to any books that I may have back in Vegas. And I know that it would probably be easier to buy a gimmick stand but I am on my way out of the country in about four days and I won't have time to shop for the prop.Thanks for your help.

Pete Biro

Re: Looking for new switches for razorblade swallowing

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2005, 11:15 pm

Himber Wallet? Shuttle pass? Keep it simple.
Stay tooned.

sundar

Postby sundar » April 9th, 2005, 10:29 pm

Where can I get information on the razor blade/needles swallowing effects ? Who markets these if they are standard products ? Help!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 10th, 2005, 12:06 am

Check out www.hocus-pocus.com or www.stevensmagic.com and do a search.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 9:50 am

Tomas Mendina has a nice method on his "Geek Magic" DVD (no gaffs, etc)

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » April 10th, 2005, 11:04 am

Check the following book out :

SECRETS - by U. F. Grant

on page 39 Razor Blade Trick without a spool switch or a mechanical stand. No danger and clean cut.

If you don't have or find the book you can find the ebook at http://www.lybrary.com

Hope this helps,

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 3:37 pm

In Jim Steinmeyer's book " Device and Illusion"

there is a great needle routine called " Needles"

that is very good. Davic Williamson did it on a

TV special a few years ago. Nothing goes in the

mouth but the threaded needles. It has a very

clever switch........Mike

GAMOLO

Postby GAMOLO » April 18th, 2005, 3:55 pm

Just get a stack of envelopes from the hotel you are staying in. Place the gaffed string/blade set in the bottom envelope which you have turned over so when you reverse the stack in your hand it appears to be the same envelope that you have placed the loose blades in for handling purposes. You can easily find cover for the flip by placing your hand momentarily behind a spectator, object or yourself.

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2005, 5:07 pm

Tomas Mendina has a nice/direct no gaff method on his "Geek Magic" DVD

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2005, 1:52 pm

Just a thought BUT would a mirrored foo glass not work for this?

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
unique mental and magic effects shipped world-wide

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2005, 11:36 pm

Originally posted by M.HAWKINS:
I'm on the road and added razorblade swallowing to my routine. I'm trying to pull the switch off without using a gimmicked stand, etc. I know of three simple switches, one that uses a glass with dark liquid in it and an earth magnet at the buttom to catch the razors as I pretend to wash the razors down. Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Bruce Ellliot's Classic Secrets of Magic has a chapter on this.

He suggests using a Dixie cup, (or any paper or styrofoam cup) with water in it.

Each blade is dipped in the water, as if it were antiseptic, before it goes in the mouth, (tongue in cheek style, and if you don't know this method, where the blades actually go in the mouth, this doesn't apply) the blades are collected one by one in the mouth and then held on the tip of the tongue, and you pretend to choke a bit.

You do a serious mime of choking and coughng, and turn, with a swing, your left side to the audience, and pick up the Dixie cup. Your tongue slides the blades in to the Dixie cup, and your teeth instantly close behind them, as you tilt your head back and drink the water.

Remember that you're choking and coughing, while this happens, and the audience is wondering if it's real, which makes the whole "water drinking" thing an in-transit action.

After you finish drinking, you're still clutching your throat with one hand and the coughing is slowing down, while your hand drops to your side, and crumples the Dixie cup, (carefully, it's full of razor blades) and tosses it behind a napkin on the table.

There's also a tip in there about dulling the blades somewhat, while still being able to show that they're sharp.

:whack: KIDS, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, :whack:

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » May 7th, 2005, 4:12 am

The Razor Blade Switch. There was a switching idea published years ago, Not for blades but i always thpought it could be. You have a white handkerchief Folded into half,(a rectangle)Lay the threaded blades on one end. Folded over again,left to right( now you have a square) The first blade is wet in the glass. You tap it on the hanky as if to dry it. leave it there. Repeat with other blades/ The final blade is laid on the pile and you fold one side of the square over, left to right(which makes briefly, a rectangular shape), to 'dry' it. BUT when you open up the square, you fold open 2 lots of the handkerchief. revealing the threaded blades underneath. Into you mouth & you're away. Thus you use a natural object and have a reason for it ie the frying process.
Allen Tipton. UK

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » May 12th, 2005, 7:31 am

I prefer two methods depending on the show. I always hated the stack switch so I created a switch that leaves the blades on display sperated even after the switch. That however is used for my magic stage show. For my sideshow I use a no switch to music bit modified from the Ellis in Wonderland Lecture notes.

Mind you I don't dull or cover my blades. It's like people say, "This guy eats razor blades!!" to which I reply, "No I only chew them... eating them would be stupid."
Bizzaro.
www.smappdooda.com
www.bizzarobydesign.com

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » May 22nd, 2005, 11:08 pm

The method Tim Ellis employs seems just fine.
No switch necessary.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”