Gumball Machine

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Gumball Machine

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2004, 12:37 pm

The thread with a similar name in the close up section has helped me to remember a question I've had for awhile:

I've been looking into purchasing one of the gumball machines, however, I recall that there was some controvery as to who created this wonderful trick. There's a magician, Ray Lum, in the Bay Area who markets his "Lumball" machine, and then there's the Collector's Workshop version.

I always try to do the right thing when purchasing stuff, magic or otherwise; therefore, does anyone know if this issue has been resolved?

Thanks. :confused:

Re: Gumball Machine

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2004, 1:39 pm

It'll depend on what type magic and atmosphere you have in your show. If you're going for STRONG comedy...wait a few months and buy the one coming out from Wolf's Magic/Wacky Wolf Productions. Chance Wolf is putting out a KILLER gumball machine, with the endorsement of George Robinson of Collector's Workshop/Viking Magic. Look for it soon, and NO...I'm not affiliated with 'em, either.

Steve Thomas

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » April 19th, 2004, 1:39 pm

Not sure which of those two came first but I believe that Joe Givan's and, for that matter, Michael Weber's version in Lifesavers came before either of them.

Frank Yuen

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2004, 1:47 pm

I've seen the Collector's Workshop version in action a couple of times at the Castle. Rich Bloch has a brilliant act that closes with this routine. Furthermore, I've always been pleased with the quality of Collector's Workshop products.

However, I seem to recall there being some controversy as to who should get credit for the idea of the "gumball machine." I just want to make sure that my money goes to the deserving recipient. Thanks again.

GAMOLO

Postby GAMOLO » May 3rd, 2004, 3:58 pm

With regard to an actual dealer item (as opposed to the idea/effect in print)....the
original Ring in the Gumball Machine was constructed by it's creator, Joe Givan. He
made a limited number of them. This effect was later copied by Collector's Workshop
and created a big brew-ha-ha, the details of which are in the rather extensive book
accompanying the prop furnished by Joe.

There are a few minor differences between the Givan and Collector's Workshop Model.
One of the most notable is that Givan model delivers the ring in the first prize bubble.
The accompanying book has many variations on presentation. In fact, the book is a
extensive treatise on the background and performance of this effect and is prized by all
performers using this effect.

The CW version has a rather gaff looking table base....whereas the Givan model is an
actual Gumball machine on a simple nongaff table base....the CW version costs
$$$Thousands and the pre -George Robinson models sometimes jamed up owing to
the lazy Susan gimmick to deliver the prizes. The Givan model has no moving parts to
jam; however, the delivery of the ring prize on the third try in the CW model is
certainly a lovely piece of business that plays well.

If I were working local clubs/venues I would choose the Givan model (I think they go
new for around $500) and save huge $bucks; if doing TV shows or large stage Vegas
shows and have a corporate sponsor than I would have George build a custom made
CW model....insisting on providing an improved delivery gimmick.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 3rd, 2004, 4:26 pm

There is a guy in Maine who sells these on ebay all the time. ANyone know who this is, and is he just ripping off the idea?

Tabman

Postby Tabman » May 3rd, 2004, 8:16 pm

is joe still in castle rock colorado??? buy your gumball machine from him or make your own!!
-=tabman

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2004, 8:18 pm

I got an email listing from Paul Diamond this morning. He has a used Lum original gumball machine for sale, the first $700.00 gets it.
mrhumble@prodigy.net
is his email address. Good luck! --Asrah

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » October 16th, 2008, 11:53 am

I have a Lum original for sale... it has never been used... contact me if interested...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Richard Mendez
Favorite Magician: Gregory Wilson

Postby Richard Mendez » October 2nd, 2013, 2:29 pm

I own Joe Givan's machine and it can deliver the ring in the first, second, or third capsule. A real pleasure to own and perform with! Comes highly recommended!

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”