The Hofner Quintet

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
George Olson

The Hofner Quintet

Postby George Olson » February 8th, 2005, 11:52 am

Can anyone describe "Hofner's World Golf Championship Routine?"

The "Quintet" is on e-Bay, and I note that Richard Hatch has a couple in inventory; a friend is bidding on one on e-Bay and is curious about that specific routine.

Thanks,

GO

Richard Hatch

Re: The Hofner Quintet

Postby Richard Hatch » February 8th, 2005, 2:07 pm

Sure, George, happy to take a look. The effect (one of 5 in the book) is reprinted with permission from ABRA. A large golf score card is shown with room for 18 scores, nine for professsional golfers' scores, the other for nine celebrity golfers (Bing Crosby, Sean Connery, etc). Apparently this is what is known as a "Pro-Am" competition. The audience calls out scores for each of the golfers, with appropriate banter from the performer ("Bing bogies..." etc.) and he writes the scores on a smaller score card attached to the large board. An envelope is attached to the front of the board the entire time. Naturally, when the scores in the envelope are compared to the scores called out by the audience, they match. Seems like something that would be commercial and topical for the right kind of performer by updating the names (as Hofner himself suggests: Bing was dead already when this book was published!).
We have only two copies in stock at $7 each plus shipping. I note that the eBay sale is already at nearly that price plus shipping from the UK. This is a Supreme title, so out of print, though Magic Books by Post likely has reasonably priced copies in stock. Not sure if that qualifies as "rare" by eBay standards, as described in the listing, but we routinely see used titles sell there for more than the same new titles on our site, so I'll watch this auction with interest. Hope this helps!

George Olson

Postby George Olson » February 8th, 2005, 9:44 pm

Many thanks Richard. I'll send you a check for a copy to add to my collection.

My buddy is developing a "Golf" character "Sandy Wedge" He already talked to Joe Turner, and bought Bev Bergeron's material.

If he doesn't get the e-Bay bids, I'll give him my copy once I read it.

Again thanks a ton.

GO

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » February 9th, 2005, 4:40 am

You might want to mention to your friend
Danny Archer's "Par For The Course" . You predict the score for an imaginary round of golf.
I saw him demonstrate this at a lecture.

Pretty easy to do. People write the scores down on
a card that is passed around, rather then calling them out.

It's on his video "Working Alone"
http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/cat ... alone.html

and Lecture notes:
http://www.magicproshop.com/product_inf ... cts_id=393
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » February 9th, 2005, 6:48 am

George,

Tell your friend not to forget Pat Page's idea of using a green eggbag and a golfball. Do a standard eggbag routine with the golfball. At the end, load an appearing cane with a flag tied to the end and "pull" the pin to the 18th hole out of the bag. Hell, pull a drink out of the bag as well. All golfers end up in the clubhouse when they're done.

Carl

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 9th, 2005, 9:21 am

Someone, I think it was Billy McComb, used a golf ball and a green silk to do the ball through silk routine with a "hole in one" golf theme. There was a nice display where you can show the ball stuck in the middle of the silk on both sides while holding the upper two corners of the silk. It's likely in one of his lecture notes, if not one of his books.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » February 9th, 2005, 11:12 am

You should see the floating golf club he's built!

He travels to Bogata a couple of times a year and found Balsa Wood Dowels; that and a paper-mache head and he's got a winner for looks, style, and weight -- under 10 grams I think.

Well folks, I really want to thank you for your input, I'm sure he will appreciate it.

GO

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 11:43 am

I seem to remember Russ Walsh producing a line of magic goods that centered on the golf theme. Appearing Golf Club, ala cane, etc. Also, Multipying Golf Balls, Golf Tees made like thimbles, Vanishing Golf Club, Floating Golf Club, etc. I even remember a giant Golf Ball production like the "Cannonball from Hat", (Hoffmann-style). Check ads in the old magazines, or dealer caltalogs from the forties and fifties...

Best, PSC

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 10th, 2005, 9:07 pm

Well, the "rare" used copy sold on eBay for 6.35 ($11.80). Guess we should raise the price on our new copy from $7 (should we already be out, Magic Books by Post has them listed at 3.50 plus shipping from the UK)!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 11th, 2005, 5:54 am

The book by Bill Stickland INTRODUCING BILL'S MAGIC published by Supreme has a complete chapter on sporting magic including a section on GOLF. Four golf routines are included.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » February 11th, 2005, 11:40 am

Ken was over for dinner last night and I printed all your responses for him.

I have to make one correction, his club is 28 grams (just under an once for us PE majors)!

Thanks a lot.

GO

Mr. Hatch The check is in the mail, Ken didn't get his bid. He said he was never happier!

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Thanks guys, I enjoyed your debate. Incidentally I am still alive and annoying audiences here in the UK!
Best wishes,
Old 'Ofner.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”