Ring and rope routines

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Glen Guldbeck

Ring and rope routines

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 26th, 2002, 3:58 pm

Happy holidays to all!!

Looking for ring and rope material in print. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

Gene B

Re: Ring and rope routines

Postby Gene B » December 26th, 2002, 11:36 pm

Glen,
Quite a few folks have spoke highly of Dan Fleshman's "Sonata for Ring & String". I haven't located it yet for myself.
If you don't mind video, Eric De Camps has one of the best routines on his A-1 "Stars of Magic" Video. Hope this helps!!

Gene B

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 27th, 2002, 12:58 pm

Hey Gene,

Thanks for the info. I'll check both routines out at the Castle. How's the golf game?

Glen

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 27th, 2002, 1:20 pm

Hey Gene,

Thanks for the info. I'll check both routines out at the Castle. How's the golf game?

Glen

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2002, 1:26 pm

Glen,

You may also try tracking down a copy of Phil Wilmarths ring and rope booklet...there is more than enough useable material in it. I'm not sure if it is still in print but you can check with magic inc.

Mike

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 27th, 2002, 1:34 pm

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the lead on Wilmarth. This morning I stumbled across a routine in Peter Samuelson's book as well. I appreciate the feedback.

Happy holidays!

Glen

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 27th, 2002, 1:54 pm

Glenn, are you talking about finger rings, or bigger?

For bigger, check out Daryl's routine on one of his early videos, and Dave Williamson's routine on "Dave 2" (I think. It might be "Sleight of Dave") Aldo Colombini has some very clever material, and Flip's work on the subject is very useful.

Until we establish a functional vocabulary for Ring and Rope sleights, I prefer video to printed matter for this sort of routine.

For finger ring routines, I hear the best starting point is Gregory Wilson's "Ringmaster" video that collects many different moves and routines.

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 27th, 2002, 2:04 pm

Hello Curtis,

Thanks for the reply. I apologize for the lack of clarification regarding ring size. I am referring to a larger ring.

Williamson's second video is hard to come by from what I understand. I'll check it out at the Castle library.

Do you know where Flip's material is print?

Thank you Curtis!

Glen

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 27th, 2002, 2:42 pm

Glen,

Flip published his ring and rope routine in an illustrated set of lecture notes called "Flip's Quick Trick Strip" or something like that. Maybe H&R Books has it? I know he also recently released a series of videos, and on one of them is the RnR routine, or at least a sampling of his moves.

Best wishes,

Curtis

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 27th, 2002, 3:06 pm

Thanks so much Curtis!! I love this forum!!!!!

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2002, 11:36 pm

Yes Eric Decamps did very nicely routine a series of penetrations in his routine. This is a nice trick because it packs small with no reset, and plays "up". It creates interest in a walk around situation, even from the folks you haven't gotten to yet.
They used to sell the "Symphony Ring", a seamless solid ring, about 3 inches in diameter. Do they still? Anyone?
Jeff McBride does several sequences with a "linking ring" ring, and piece of rope on his MAGIC ON STAGE videos...I'm sure it works well for him, but far too long and unmagical, and over played, for my tastes.

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 5:33 am

They used to sell the "Symphony Ring", a seamless solid ring, about 3 inches in diameter. Do they still? Anyone?

I can't answer that question...but I can tell you that if you want a nice ring, simply go to a hardware store. Ask for a harness ring, I have a few ranging from 2 1/2in. up to 4 in., I think the highest I paid was just under 4 bucks!

Mike

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 28th, 2002, 11:02 am

Thanks John and Mike,

I've heard about the DeCamps routine. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the tip on the harness ring. I have a ring from a small set of linking rings. The "weld" spot bothers me. Even if a spectator examines it, it wouldn't surprise me that they would somehow associate the "secret" with that seam.

I was particularly intrigued by a segment I had seen performed with an extra length (6"-8")of rope and the ring. He started with a nice rope routine and segued into the ring and rope by stealing the extra piece as the ring was being removed from the jacket pocket. I'm working in that vain. The addition of that little something extra resulted in some truly eye-popping links and penetrations.

My venue is strolling and I think that with an effective presentation the ring and rope would be a wonderful addition.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Glen

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » December 28th, 2002, 12:25 pm

I might also suggest the following: Willi Wessel's Close-Up Ring and Rope Routine (it comes as video, props, and written instructions released through El Duco). It is, in my opinion, one of the best ring and rope routines out.

Also, you may want to look at Bracelet and Rope Routine on Vol. 3 of Daryls new Fooler Dooler DVDs released through L&L. It is a tight, strong routine based on ideas of Chanin, Anverdi, Johnson, Flip, and Daryl. "The Puzzle" routine by Frank Balzerak on his "Magic For Humans" video released through Murphys is excellent. Frank's routine is based on David Williamson's and the steal of the extra piece of rope (with false knot) is BRILLIANT and will definitely fly by you.

I have not used a ring and rope routine for "real" people. My question would be what kind of reaction does it get. It "seems" like it may be just "that's cool" but not a devastating "miracle". I could be totally off on this though. I'd love to get some thoughts on this from those who have USED ring and rope routines for real people.

Thanks.

Tim Trono

Postby Guest » December 28th, 2002, 4:54 pm

Tim,
In answer to your question...no, ring and rope routines when done for laymen will not start a new religion in your honor. However, presented properly they do get a strong reaction. I did a 5 phase routine many many years ago in my old Forks Hotel days. Each phase was stronger than the last wich led to a very good reaction...I've said it before...I'll say it again...laymen love penetrations!!! Tin, the only true way to find out how it plays is to get out there and do it!!!

Mike

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 28th, 2002, 5:34 pm

Tim, I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, "How do I feel about penetrations?"

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » December 28th, 2002, 7:49 pm

I do agree with Mr Trono about the "El Duco" Ring and Rope routine. I don't think there is a lot of people that know of its existence, but those who know.....

I have to say that a combination of DeCamps and el Duco is a great piece of magic and I also think that his effect should not have more than 5 steps, after that it becomes boring.

The ring that you get with the tape from "El Duco" is not the ring you want to use. It is to light, to thin, and on top of that you can see the seam. Besides this the combination pack is a great value.
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 28th, 2002, 8:50 pm

If anyone is seeking an ideal ring, I found an entire wall full of rings, all weldless and seamless, in brass, chrome, and aluminum, of all sizes and shapes at a local marine supply and hardware store.

What all these rings have to do with sailing, I have no idea. The only people I've seen buying them are magicians.

So if you're in the market, do your part to support the fine peolpe who make these wonderful rings for no particular reason. :D

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » December 28th, 2002, 9:02 pm

Thanks for the input. You are right Mike... I just need to try it. It's certainly a fun thing to play with and there are some interesting ideas. One other routine worth mentioning is the Tabary version.

Tim Trono

Postby Guest » December 29th, 2002, 6:00 am

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”