How to replace curtains in Dean's Box please?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
erdnasephile

How to replace curtains in Dean's Box please?

Postby erdnasephile » June 13th, 2016, 10:48 am

All:

I own an original Dean's Box. Before Dean passed, I never asked him how to replace the curtains without damaging the box. I just rewatched the video last night and didn't see anything addressing how to do this.

Any help in terms of where to get the special fabric and how to replace it without breaking the wooden stays would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ian Kendall

Re: How to replace curtains in Dean's Box please?

Postby Ian Kendall » June 13th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Changing the curtains is not a hard task;

If you lie the box with the lid up, and open it, you can see the wooden slats that hold them in place. These are attached with very short pins, so if you get a small flat head screwdriver you can lever them up bit by bit (just remember to do a millimeter on one end, and then the same on the other so you won't bend the pins.

Once they are off, the process to put them back is just the same, in reverse (which seems obvious).

The hard part is making sure that the material that you use is the right length - it needs to be under a certain amount of tension so that they remain closed normally. I imagine that taking your existing set off, and then asking your fabric shop to cut you the same amount.

Dean used to sell replacement curtains. I'm not sure who got his old stock, but it might be worth asking around to see if you can get some ready made ones. That makes the replacement a ten minute job.

Hope that helps :)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 13th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Thank you so much Mr. Kendall--I didn't realize you could pry up those slats without damage. I tried to search out Dean's old site and contact info for replacements, but to no avail so far.

May I please ask another question: my box came with the red curtains with the raised silver dots. From what I gather from some discussions on the Café, there may have been a redesign of the curtains at some point (?) If so, were there some tweaks I could incorporate into the replacements I'll need to make?

Thanks again for the great info! I really appreciate it!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 13th, 2016, 3:09 pm

As far as I know, the only difference with the curtains was the colour (I replaced mine a couple of years ago, so I had an original set, and one of the newer ones).

The problem with mine was that the edges at the opening curled, which meant you could see inside the box from the sides. If you are making some of your own, you might want to consider making the overlap a bit more so that, even if you do get some curling, the box will still be dark.

Please call me Ian. Mr Kendall sounds like a PE teacher in a primary school...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 14th, 2016, 10:53 am

Thank you, Ian! Ill give it a shot. I just wish there was some way to keep the lycra from curling so easily after just a bit of use. I'll try to increase the overlap.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 14th, 2016, 2:53 pm

For a while I would iron the curtains with a small travel iron before shows. Not ideal, but a solution in the short term.

The other solution is to replace the ring phase, which is where things were most visible.

Terry

Postby Terry » June 16th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I don't own the effect, but re fabric curling - when you make new curtains, could you insert small diameter climbing cord along the opening edges to maintain stiffness and the cord provide flexibility?

Just a thought.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 16th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Terry: Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up "climbing cord" -- I don't climb--is that just rope you are referring to? Perhaps I could prevail upon you to post a link to the product you are suggesting please? I'll check it out. Thanks!

Terry

Postby Terry » June 17th, 2016, 1:32 pm

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Paracord+Bracelet+Supplies+and+Accessories&FORM=RESTAB

It's called 550 paracord. Most climbing/outdoor/sports retailers carry it. I attached the link above for online resource.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”