Extra loop advantage for Siberian chain escape?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
tank5030

Extra loop advantage for Siberian chain escape?

Postby tank5030 » March 12th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Hello all, new to the forum. Have really enjoyed doing some reading so I figured I might as well ask you all for some of that wisdom. I have never done an escape effect before, but I am thinking about adding a simple chain escape to use on a mission trip I am taking this upcoming summer. I came across the Siberian Chain escape and really think it's great as far as its simplicity and ease, yet good impact. My question is this. At first viewing, the biggest visual weakness I see is that the right wrist is not wrapped with a chain all the way, perhaps leaving the specs thinking that the gap is just big enough to slide the hand out. Am I right in understanding that by using a longer chain which could then be wrapped around the right wrist an extra time, that it might appear more "secure" without affecting the working at all? The wrists could still be moved in the right way to be able to do what is needed?

I will be making this myself so I was just curious to see if you thought it would make a difference either way. I understand that the presentation is most important, but with all other things being equal, does the longer or shorter chain have any advantages/ disadvantages.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Donni

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Extra loop advantage for Siberian chain escape?

Postby Q. Kumber » March 13th, 2016, 4:56 am

I don't know enough to answer your question but check out the Alan Wakening routine in his book.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 13th, 2016, 5:26 am

Q. Kumber wrote:I don't know enough to answer your question but check out the Alan Wakening routine in his book.

Wakeling's S-chain is a step in the wrong direction, if the stated goal is to make the Siberian Chain more convincing.

An extra wrap-around might be worth experimenting with, but the risk is larger that the padlock is attached the wrong way. Even in standard configuration, it is surprising how creative people can be in misunderstanding the simple directions.
What I like is the simplicity, and as far as I've noticed, it has never been questioned. So there is no pressing need to improve it, from a functional perspective. But if your artistic sensibilities tell you that the chain should look more massive and bulky, then follow your head.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 13th, 2016, 10:55 am

I did this effect quite a bit as a young performer and I never had anyone mention your issue. The key is to have the chain wrapped really tightly so the skin bulges. This looks really good. I used it in a card discovery routine (i.e., in under ten seconds I will escape from the restraints and find your card). Control the card to the top of the deck before being trussed up.

tank5030

Postby tank5030 » March 13th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Guys,
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate the feedback. I will probably just stick with the "as is" length of chain, but just make sure I get the right "look. thanks again.

Donnie

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » March 14th, 2016, 4:16 am

Donnie,
If you're going to do it yourself, simply make a standard model, and a second one with an extra ioop, and see which one you like best.
For a very nice store-bought version, check out the Old World Siberian Chain Escape from The Magic Depot.
Last edited by Brad Jeffers on March 14th, 2016, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » March 14th, 2016, 4:19 am

When I was younger, I did perform the Siberian Chain Escape with a long chain, which was wrapped around the arms. The weight of the chain slows you down, and the escape takes time and will probably require to be covered (the performer hidden from the audience) as you need to obtain sufficient slack to execute the "standard" release.

If you are planning to perform a "classic" escape, Houdini-like, then you could go for it, but if you need a quick release, then definitely not.

Hope this helps!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”