Tube & Canister Mystery - performing in March

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
MagicOrthodoxy
Favorite Magician: Benjamin Earl

Tube & Canister Mystery - performing in March

Postby MagicOrthodoxy » January 23rd, 2015, 6:31 pm

I'll be doing the Tube and Canister Mystery for the first time in March

http://www.grandillusions.com/product/t ... r-mystery/

and I will be borrowing a gentlemen's tie from the audience. I feel like I should scout the front two rows ahead of time and ask someone in advance - to save time and to make sure that I have someone in the audience actually wearing a tie?

What do you think?

My line is... "For this effect, I will be using these tubes and THIS tie and I call this trick.... getting your tubes tied."
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

Aaron Sterling

Re: Tube & Canister Mystery - performing in March

Postby Aaron Sterling » January 24th, 2015, 12:18 pm

I'll give my two cents since no one else is jumping in.

1. It appears as though you have an in with Murphy's, so you might want to take a look at Jon Armstrong At the Table. He speaks at some length about prepping a volunteer before the show. IMO It's the strongest part of the lecture, which was already good.

2. I wouldn't use that joke unless I knew everyone in the audience already and I was certain they would enjoy it. There's a genre of Awkward Male Magician Humor, and this is an example. If you really want to go there, let the audience make the joke for themselves. Something like, "Tie, tube, tube, tie -- there's a terrible joke there somewhere, but I'll let you find it on your own (impish grin)."

3. Which leads into: why are you using a tie? To get that particular joke? A tie can be damaged by being crammed into a can. Better to use a watch or something.

4. Finally, the prop looks like a plastic tube that can be bought in a magic shop. So you have to own that, IMO, because the audience has to know that you know. Something like, "This has been passed down to me by my great-great-great-grandfather, who made this thin plastic tube with his bare hands in 1735." Over the top so people laugh at how silly it is. Then they watch to have fun, instead of to be fooled, and aren't expecting the magical climax after the first climax.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”