Benson Burner

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Jonathan Pendragon

Benson Burner

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » August 8th, 2011, 5:09 am

I received Tom Stone's book Vortex a couple of weeks ago and consumed Benson Burner. I worked with Tom in Sweden where I watched him perform it. It's short, strong magic with a terrific finale. Vortex is "pro" material.

Master Payne

Re: Benson Burner

Postby Master Payne » August 9th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I've been wanting to try this out ever since I read the book. Unfortunately it's a routine I wouldn't have the opportunity to perform often enough to make the purchase of the seemingly hundreds of sponge balls needed justifiable. A brilliant routine though. One amongst many. I strongly urge anyone who hasn't bought this excellent volume yet to pick up a copy.

I heard a rumor that they are working on a second volume. Can anyone confirm this?
The only way to become a good magician is to overcome why you became a magician -- Max Maven

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 9th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Master Payne wrote:I heard a rumor that they are working on a second volume. Can anyone confirm this?

I can neither confirm nor deny this rumor.

All I can say is that I'm awfully tired in my drawing hand. Also, a friend has, for some reason, just finished writing a text titled "Foreword". ;)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 9th, 2011, 5:41 pm

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! :grin:

CraigOusterling
Favorite Magician: All the dead ones.

Postby CraigOusterling » April 9th, 2012, 12:02 pm

I was able to see this routine performed by Tom when he was at the Magic Castle. It was excellent. Reminded me of Japanese freestyle Bo staff fighting technique confined to a five foot space using a wand instead of six foot bamboo. I never imagined that it would look like that from reading the description in Vortex.

If you ever have an opportunity to see Tom do this routine live don't pass it up.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » April 26th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Craig
There is a wonderful feeling a performer gets when a subtext is appreciated. Tom talked to me about the martial arts influences that went into his presentation.

I was backstage for most of his shows in order to help him with his intense re-sets (one can only imagine). I got to hear the rhythm of his performance which was an amazing experience.

Tom will be lecturing and performing at the "Bash" which has by far the best line-up I have ever seen, except for the blond illusion guy.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » April 27th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Tom Stone wrote:All I can say is that I'm awfully tired in my drawing hand. Also, a friend has, for some reason, just finished writing a text titled "Foreword". ;)

Are you illustrating a book for your friend? ;)

jeje that are good news :) Maybe can we wait for a Hurricane, Swirl or Whirlpool?
Andres Reynoso

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Tom was referring to Maelstrom, which is already out.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » April 27th, 2012, 3:02 pm

jaja oh yes, it is an oldie post ....my fault. I said "this man is fast, Maelstrom is out and he is preparing another one!!!"
Andres Reynoso

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » April 27th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Andres Reynoso wrote:jaja oh yes, it is an oldie post ....my fault. I said "this man is fast, Maelstrom is out and he is preparing another one!!!"

We can only hope. :)
The MacGician®

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”