Asking Appearing Assistant

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Damian Odess-Gillett

Asking Appearing Assistant

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » November 1st, 2010, 8:45 am

Hi,

I'm primarily a platform and close-up performer, but am interested in learning how to make an assistant appear onstage.
Are there any low-budget introductions to this that anyone can recommend?

Many thanks,
Damian

mai-ling

Re: Asking Appearing Assistant

Postby mai-ling » November 1st, 2010, 10:18 am

stack of boxes
its very easy and can be used with anyone.

i don't know the history of the illusion.
maybe someone can help me with that.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 1st, 2010, 12:01 pm

I think it's Tea for an Oriental Potentate by Carl Owen (1950) but the cheapest illusion is certainly Transmogrification by Chas Waller described in Greater Magic (1938).

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » November 29th, 2010, 4:56 am

Buy a copy of Grant's "Victory Carton Illusions." There are several in it that you can make up for very little money.

Also, in the "Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic", there is a method that won't break the bank.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

SteveP

Postby SteveP » November 29th, 2010, 12:31 pm

If you want to kick it up a notch from the cardboard boxes Bill Palmer recommended, then I would suggest checking out Creative Magic's website:

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/

They have taken some of the Victory Carton principles and made some inexpensive props that pack smaller, look nicer and are lighter than cardboard boxes.

Victory Cubes is $295
Cube Squared is $695

And there are a couple of other illusions as well.

A small investment for something that will last many years and can fit on the floor in your car. Personally I think they are far more practical and more professional looking than cardboard.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 29th, 2010, 12:53 pm

I agree with Steve. I've seen both of these up close and they look great. And for what it's worth, Franz Harary endorses them as a terrific alternative for the budget-minded performer as well.

Dustin

SteveP

Postby SteveP » November 29th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Grant's Victory Carton Illusions book is worth getting, especially if you want to familiarize yourself with the concepts before spending hundreds of dollars. You can pick it up as an ebook for $4.95 here: http://www.trickshop.com/victory_carton_illusions.html

I've worked with two of these in the past (right out of the book)and can say they are extremely practical. A couple of decades ago I was involved with an industrial show for Frigidaire at The Las Vegas Hilton and we did use one of these illusions, with two cardboard boxes, one for a washer and one for a dryer. We produced a Frigidaire executive out of the boxes, the person in charge of that division, so the use of the cardboard boxes fit right in. It was very effective and played well on a huge stage in front of 1,500 people.

One of the best features of these illusions is that you can, with only a few minutes of rehearsal, produce an executive, school principle, or any VIP. For the most part, they only have to stay put and then stand up at the right moment.

As far as the quality of the Creative Magic props goes, I've only heard great things about them. A friend of mine has their Shadow Tent and loves it. I've purchased smaller items from them and they are a good company to deal with.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 30th, 2010, 5:55 am

Also don't forget the Mandarin Chair by Joe Carson which needs only a chair and a cloth.

Damian Odess-Gillett

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » December 11th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Lot of good suggestions, it seems. Low budget, up thru the Creative Magic products, about which I had seen advertised and have only heard good things.

As a matter of fact, I was originally asking because of a client request. However, they subsequently changed the plan and we ended up doing a stand-up number that I was familiar with, instead.

But you've piqued my interest with the above suggestions, and I hope to make use of them in future.

Damian

Paulleemagic

Postby Paulleemagic » March 11th, 2011, 10:41 am

I have a Tip Over Production. It's not the expensive compared to some of the other effects.

Best of luck

Paul Lee
Paul Lee
http://www.paulleemagic.com

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”