Knife Throwing Gaff?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
jwalkmagic

Knife Throwing Gaff?

Postby jwalkmagic » March 11th, 2010, 11:10 am

I am stage managing a production of Treasure Island and we need a gaffed knife throwing board for one of the effects. Does any one know of a source for plans to build one.

We only need to have one knife go into the board so a basic plan of the mechanism will be enough.

Joe

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Knife Throwing Gaff?

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2010, 11:33 am

I think it's pretty simple: you just build a horizontal shelf to hold the knife for it to slide on, and you have it's tip nailed through a block of wood. When the guy ostensibly throws the knife, someone standing behind the board just shoves the wooden block forward, pushing the knife out the front of the board.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

RayChance1

Postby RayChance1 » August 6th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Magic Makers LETHAL by Bobby Motta can do this too lol - I'm not promoting the effect just notice that there are people looking for an effect that does this...

Nexus y Mordecai

Postby Nexus y Mordecai » August 26th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Yeah, you could buy that but it is really just a stage trick that is needed not like a real trick or anything. Going off of what Mr. Kaufman said, that is one way we made an arrow appear on a target. However, we changed it so that it flipped downward it looked like it more of appeared then shoot out from the opposite direction.

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » August 27th, 2010, 3:50 pm

I have a puppet knife throwing act, designed by Joe Owens and built by Fred Cowan, that uses a spring loaded knife that shoots out into position. For larger, real scale things, though, I would securely fasten that sucker to a rat trap spring and inset it into whatever it has to come out of. You can muslin over the surface and paint it, leaving a slit for the knife, and it will probably play from 10 - 15 feet away, especially if you can put it on the upstage side.

Just a thought.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 27th, 2010, 8:17 pm

contact Lucille M'Guillicuddy. She should have the exact plans you need

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 27th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Probably better to contact Lucille's agent, Ethel.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”