Three-Coin Vanish

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
David Acer

Three-Coin Vanish

Postby David Acer » February 22nd, 2005, 6:41 am

Hi Folks,

Is anyone aware of a method for causing three coins to vanish at once that does not involve lapping and leaves both hands empty?
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Three-Coin Vanish

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 22nd, 2005, 6:48 am

Originally posted by David Acer:
Hi Folks,

Is anyone aware of a method for causing three coins to vanish at once that does not involve lapping and leaves both hands empty?
From simple routined use of a wand, to using one's shirt/jacket pockets, to the use of a pull or servante... this is not so much a problem.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 22nd, 2005, 6:52 am

Coin clip + Topit/Sleeve/Cuff/Pocket/Pull?

-Jim

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » February 22nd, 2005, 8:51 am

Yo David,

If they can vanish one at a time, I have a great stand-up no jacket method ... all at once sounds like a clip and a pull/holdout ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 22nd, 2005, 10:20 am

You mean really empty right? Not just convincingly empty?

I'm thinking Ammar's coin clip, French drop, topic for a quick all at once.

I have something that's not in print if you want to get rid of the topit and the coin clip...

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 22nd, 2005, 10:34 am

I seem to recall a routine in the Kenner book with a clean three-coin vanish. But sadly I don't have the book anymore.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 22nd, 2005, 10:41 am

That would be Cloth and Pence.

Take care, Ian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 22nd, 2005, 11:21 am

Kenner's application of a wand, being one behind, and using both blu-tac and his pocket is a good example of what you seek.

You can find it in Totally Out of Control which Richard Kaufman just happens to have reprinted, so it's available.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2005, 12:18 pm

David,

One of the most easiest and direct ways that can be used without much fuss is a handling of the Gadabout Coins, where you condition the audience to expect a pocketed coin to keep returning to your hand, only to vanish all the coins at once. Convieniently as you apparently place one coin in your pocket.

I guess on the other end of the spectrum, seeing Bob Fitch dump a pile of coins in his hand and have them immediately vanish is the best I have ever seen, if you feel like spending a lot of money.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 22nd, 2005, 12:32 pm

If you've got a table, or a bar, click pass and ditch the stack quietly behind something. If nothing on the table, leave stack on the table and step in front of it.

Add flashpaper and a lighter, and do Gary Kurtz's vanish from "Full Frontal Assault", a routine familiar to all Canadians, I'm told. (think "Crossing the Gaze")

Or, to borrow from brother Reed, load the stack of three under a spectator's watch.

After the show, retrieve the coins in the parking lot BYFM. :)

Jakob Rasmussen

Postby Jakob Rasmussen » February 22nd, 2005, 12:54 pm

If you prepare the vanish with a production from different parts of your body, you can make a completely clean and empty hand vanish.

All you need is wearing a belt and a wrist watch.

The first 2 coins is produced from body parts of your own chose, but the last one has to come from your knee in same side as the palmed coins, means you will turn that side towards the audiens.
The other hand holding 2 coins, is pushing them up under your belt. It is covered completely from all angles.
To end, vanish the last coin so it ends under our own watch. or any other place.

Best

Jakob
Denmark.

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » February 22nd, 2005, 1:00 pm

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:

Or, to borrow from brother Reed, load the stack of three under a spectator's watch.

I haven't checked with a medical professional to verify, but I'm afraid that 3 coins would make their watch so tight that it would become an impromptu tourniquet. Wouldn't the spectator notice the coins when their hand went numb? :p

It would, however, facilitate retrieval when their hand fell off....

Regarding Mr. Acer's request - Jim Pace had a method for a very clean coin vanish that might fit the bill. The coins do not talk and it looks very good. I saw it about a month ago at Mr. Pace's lecture. I can't find it, however, in either Pace's Restaurant Worker's Handbook or his "A" Material book. You may have to contact him directly to get the work.

Eric

David Acer

Postby David Acer » February 22nd, 2005, 1:32 pm

Thanks guys - I figured a coin clip and some sort of ditch (or, God help me, a pull) was going to be the best solution, but I appreciate all the alternatives suggested here from the bottom of Chris Kenner's heart.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 22nd, 2005, 9:29 pm

Roger Klause explains an impromptu method for vanishing a stack of coins on The Legendary Repertoire of Michael Skinner dvd.
Its the same as his dice vanish, minus the bit with the knuckles.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2005, 9:55 pm

You can make three coins stick together with wax. Assuming that they're magnet-friendly Canadian coins, you can also use a hellishly strong. button magnet

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 22nd, 2005, 10:30 pm

Don't forget that a rubber thumb tip will hold three (or four) quarters quite snugly.

Justin Fraser

Postby Justin Fraser » February 22nd, 2005, 11:19 pm

Just to toss out a few ideas:

-Canadian quarters + wax + magnet (i.e. Raven)

-Use Sankey's Himber count with some wax,then muscle pass into breast pocket ala Shoot Ogawa.His was a one coin vanish on Cultural Exchange 1

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 23rd, 2005, 2:20 am

David,

Forget the sleight-of-hand approach - simply use a 'fusion' of Neurolinguistic Programming techniques, Wunder Words, and multi-level realities to achieve the effect that you're trying to achieve.

My good friend, Docc Kroque published something along these lines in his 1998 manuscript "The Kroque-O-File".

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 23rd, 2005, 6:39 pm

Fitch Kohler Holdout... I just had Bob Fitch demonstrate his three coin routine, which included vanishes, transpostions and productions.

MAGIC IT WAS...
Stay tooned.

Jason Wethington

Postby Jason Wethington » February 25th, 2005, 8:19 pm

In a book titled 'Stand up coin power' by Eivind Lowig there is a method of vanishing three at a time if I'm not mistaken I think it was aptly called "Three coin vanish and production". I remeber it using an idea of Ammar's for the card on ceiling but outside of that I don't know what it entailed.
Cheers,
Jason

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2005, 10:06 am

Methinks Troy Hoosier has some work on this subject.

Alas... my DesTROYers book is on loan right now.

Perhaps someone with less needy magi-friencs can chime in with a yay-nay and/or exact referece.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”