Triumph

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Re: Triumph

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2006, 8:20 am

Rage1, I have never done this without having card selected, but the impact has never been wanting (within my frame of reference of course). Not sure how I would do that truthfully. I did develop an approach where I could ribbon spread the cards mixed. Theoretically that is stronger. I fool myself doing that. But most lay spectators seem oblivious to these things so long as they believe the selection was fair, that the cards are really shuffled up and down, i.e., sold on the plot (whichever). Thanks for asking.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 8:34 am

Is there not a little bit similar problem with the TWISTING THE CARDS effect?
A) Four cards are face down, one after another the Aces turn face up, and
B) Four cards are face up, one after another the Aces turn face down, and the spectator has to believe that the reversed card is the ACE of...

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 10:15 am

Mr. Kamen,

Sorry, the question was for Michael Close.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 6:11 pm

:whack: one of those instances where any old Michael definately will not do. I'm all ears.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Originally posted by Joe DeStefano:
[QB] Re: Bill Duncan Post

I BELIEVE...
No need to shout Joe. I suspect we ALL believe that. My point was that John's question wasn't a fair comparison.

A good performer making bad choices is still making bad choices...

As. Mr. Close has suggested, what you wish to accomplish should inform your choices. But in the context of the Truiumph presentation (not effect) I stand by my original statement. Locate the selection, and then show the real effect to bump the applause to another level.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 5:06 am

Bill Duncan,

Sorry if I came across as shouting. I must have inadvertently hit the "caps lock" button and did not catch it.

Email does not always convey the tone in which something is said.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2006, 9:20 am

I can't really comment on the order of the revelations without knowing the intended presentation hook or frame.

One performer may get a great reaction by telling a volunteer that they will find the other volunteer's chosen card face down in the pile and let them spread and come up with the right card.

Another performer may get a great reaction by simply cutting to the card as face up.

In both cases the condition of the deck is not made apparent to the audience and may even be kept secret.

In the end, it's all for the audience anyway.

(all rights reserved, Jon Townsend 2006 )

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 7:47 am

At the risk of appearinhg trite or sidestepping the issue, watching Vernon on the Revelations DVD,his emphasis was more on the need for the emotional hook of the story than whether the cards were spread face up or face down....

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2006, 10:12 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
I can't really comment on the order of the revelations without knowing the intended presentation hook or frame.

One performer may get a great reaction by telling a volunteer that they will find the other volunteer's chosen card face down in the pile and let them spread and come up with the right card.

Another performer may get a great reaction by simply cutting to the card as face up.

In both cases the condition of the deck is not made apparent to the audience and may even be kept secret.

In the end, it's all for the audience anyway.

(all rights reserved, Jon Townsend 2006 )
What a wonderful truth that Jon just said. Something that we forget at times.
"In the end, it's all for the audience anyway".

Tom Wolf

Return to “Close-Up Magic”