What do you guys say when you guys get CAUGHT

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: What do you guys say when you guys get CAUGHT

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2003, 9:11 pm

Jerry Andrus has one of the best lines I've ever heard for when he makes a mistake (as opposed to getting caught): "That's the first time in my life that's ever happened." He says it utterly deadpan but it's extremely amusing.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » March 26th, 2003, 2:42 am

I was once told that if you are caught and someone blurts out "You've got two cards" or "You have a plastic thumb" or other such appropriate outbursts, then the best reply is, "Yep, you are absolutely right. That's exactly how I do it."

The rationale behind it is that nobody would believe you would give the method away so you must be bluffing and doing it another way.

Never had reason to try it out yet.... ;)

cataquet

Postby cataquet » March 26th, 2003, 4:29 am

I frequently perform for audiences who do not speak English. One of my most embarassing moments occured last year when performing in Portugal. I was doing Jim Swain's Metamorphosis and put three cards on the table (supposedly four). I then did the first change, and a little kid said "H somente trs cartes na tabela." I did the second change and he again said "H somente trs cartes na tabela." I did the final change and he again said "H somente trs cartes na tabela." I concluded the effect and received a lukewarm round of applause.

Although the cards were in perfect alignment, the kid had his head flat on the table and was looking at the cards side on (not a position any adult would take), and clearly saw that there were only three cards on the table (which is what he was saying!).

So, what do you do? Well, in this case, there was nothing I could do. However, I went back to the drawing board, and looked for a solution. Now, I put four cards on the table.

I don't think you can predict all the possibilities BEFORE you start performing an effect. In my experience, I think it takes about 300 performances of an effect in front of a live audience before you can really claim to have worked out all the possibilities. Over that time, you will see what works and what doesn't, and experience most of the things that can go wrong. You'll also develop a presentation that is right for you.

I remember once that I was asked to man a dealer stand and dem card to wallet. It wasn't an effect that I did, but over the next three days, not only did my palming and loading skills improve dramatically, but I developed a very simple routine that played really well (and one that I continue to use to this day).

Bye for now

Harold

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2003, 11:00 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:

If you make a mistake, on the other hand, you have NOT practiced enough. Period.
If you are a professional magician, there is no excuse for making a mistake.

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2003, 11:01 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:

If you make a mistake, on the other hand, you have NOT practiced enough. Period.
If you are a professional magician, there is no excuse for making a mistake.
-This sounds wayyyy too pedantic. Check Harry Lorayne's video series to see one or two mistakes that he leaves in for the purposes of addressing how he handles the occasional mistake. Am I supposed to seriously believe that Lorayne hasn't practiced enough? Please.

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2003, 11:07 pm

Originally posted by Jon Allen:
I was once told that if you are caught and someone blurts out "You've got two cards" or "You have a plastic thumb" or other such appropriate outbursts, then the best reply is, "Yep, you are absolutely right.
I wish I could remember who came up with this one, but when a spectator blurted out "You've got a fake thumb!" during a performance, one southern CA pro responded, without missing a beat, "I don't make fun of YOUR handicaps." The mortified spectator immediately piped down, apparently believing that the thumb tip was some sort of prosthetic completely incidental to the magic. I saw Ken Sands bounce a sponge ball off of the head of someone while doing the old Slydini routine. When she called him on it, he explained it as "touch misdirection," and continued with the effect, touching the sponge ball of her head each time, then vanishing it over the head. She bought it as a genuine "magician-explains-partial-method" premise, completely oblivious to the complete exposure, and continued to be amazed by the routine.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » April 20th, 2003, 11:15 pm

People don't know what your going to do so act as if the mistake was supposed to happen

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » April 21st, 2003, 1:05 pm

If I get caught...I immediately turn around and come back wearing a life size mask of David Blaine...I hope you enjoyed the show...remember my face...thank you good night.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » January 22nd, 2015, 8:44 am

Ian Kendall wrote:Re David Williamson and the stretching card;

I'm pretty sure this was a genuine catch. David wrote it up on the EG many years ago when someone mentioned it. Murray (That was my career, Murray...) spotted the half card attached to another and proceeded to take it apart while David looked shocked. The cards had been specially flown in for the show and were unused...David mentioned that the producer wanted to cut the routine from the show but he fought to get it left in :)

One of the lasting memories of the series, along with Rudy Coby's robotic assistant and Hobson's egg bag routine.

Take care, Ian

There's a funny video somewhere--sorry for my lousy memory--of David Williamson re-uniting with Murray some 20 years later and talking about what happened. The best part is that Murray displays the very same sweater he wore as a six-year old magician buster.

Here's a little essay I wrote for a general audience about Outs Precautions and Challenges:
http://jackshalom.net/2015/01/21/outs-p ... hallenges/

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » January 22nd, 2015, 1:28 pm

I blame Canada.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 22nd, 2015, 3:09 pm

What do you guys say when you guys get CAUGHT?

I always say, "It happens a lot, and no matter what anyone says, I haven't got a single hair on the palm of my hand."

Return to “Close-Up Magic”