Slop Shuffle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Temperance

Re: Slop Shuffle

Postby Temperance » June 21st, 2005, 8:26 am

Isn't publishing in private a bit of an oxymoron?

Surely if you publish something you have to make it publicly available?

Plus, by going down the private letter road you make yourself even more prone to uncredited 'variations' turning up in print with little or no solid evidence to prove you originated the idea.

Apologies for going off on a tangent. So the slop shuffle eh? Super Duper classic effect!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 21st, 2005, 8:45 am

Originally posted by Euan:
Isn't publishing in private a bit of an oxymoron?

Surely if you [b]pub
lish something you have to make it publicly available?

Plus, by going down the private letter road you make yourself even more prone to uncredited 'variations' turning up in print with little or no solid evidence to prove you originated the idea.[/b]
Is there difference between sending an idea to one person and sending it to one thousand? What's the limit on what's considered "publishing"? Do there need to be multiple copies in order to establish credit?

Credit is sometime based on a single, private letter. Remember that when you do a Hermann ... no ... Hofzinser Pass. ;)

-Jim

Temperance

Postby Temperance » June 21st, 2005, 8:53 am

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Is there difference between sending an idea to one person and sending it to one thousand? What's the limit on what's considered "publishing"? Do there need to be multiple copies in order to establish credit?

Credit is sometime based on a single, private letter. Remember that when you do a Hermann ... no ... Hofzinser Pass. ;)

-Jim
You can't establish credit for an idea via a private source. The reasons should be obvious.

Euan

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 21st, 2005, 9:26 am

I dond't recall the date, but after seeing Persi Diaconis do a face up, face down riffle shuffle routine winding up with a poker deal and "Triumph" type kicker, I worked out a simpler handling using the slop shuffle I called (in my lecture notes) SLOP POKER.

You do a slop shuffle then explain that even if the cards are messed up like this you can still deal a poker hand... all the spectator cards come face up and the dealer's face down...and are the four aces.

Had to be 30 years ago or so...
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 21st, 2005, 9:58 am

Pete, I was looking around for that this morning (in your lecture notes). This is one of the great sort-of-unknown card tricks that should get mentioned in David Regal's column. (I was checking the notes to see if it pre-dated the cups and balls as seen in the pyramids.)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 21st, 2005, 1:42 pm

Euan, I think there is a difference between inventing something and being the first person to state the obvious.

The Slop Shuffle is an invention. Using it to reveal a selection or a royal flush isn't because those effects are obvious.

Incidentally, what sounds like the Diaconis effect is in SCARNE ON CARD TRICKS (1950) as "Scarne's Drunken Poker Deal" (124).

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » June 21st, 2005, 3:43 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
Using it to reveal a selection or a royal flush isn't because those effects are obvious.
OK, sorry but I gotta ask...

If they are obvious... why publish them in your next Genii column?

Andy.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 21st, 2005, 4:14 pm

Originally posted by Andy Hurst:
OK, sorry but I gotta ask...

If they are obvious... why publish them in your next Genii column?

Andy.
One reason would be to alert the large number of magicians who do not spend time thinking about possible applications of moves to the existence of this very effective trick.

Euan:

You can establish credit with a private source. However this credit may not be honored by everyone. This is also true of every other way of establishing credit.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 21st, 2005, 5:18 pm

The effect may be obvious, but the procedure for creating the effect can have many paths, some more efficient or better than others. Since I've done this trick thousands of times, there may be something useful in how I do it; others may do it a different way.

As far as I know, there are only a handful of explanations for this method/effect, so one more, even if obvious, can't hurt (though, as a general rule, there is no point in publishing the obvious -- which comment in itself is obvious and thus does not require stating here for that reason -- which is also obvious and therefore not really needed in this post -- ah, the Hell with it, I'll yank the column and you guys can figure it out yourself).

David Acer

Postby David Acer » July 27th, 2005, 3:25 pm

After watching Bob perform a multitude of card tricks in the lobby of the glorious Holiday Inn Batavia, I can attest to the fact that he has a unique gift for augmenting the impact of an effect while at the same time simplifying the method. If he ever decides to record all the material that's rattling around in his brain, it'll be one hell of a book.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2005, 5:15 pm

The Slop Shuffle is alive and well. For thirty something years I did it (not knowing it even had a name) as the result of what I had learned with some friends in Oklahoma over too little fish and too much beer.

It fits my routines well since I often start by saying this how it is done in Slapout, Alabama. (Yes, I actually lived there several wonderful years in the early 70s. It is a real place!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » August 6th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Just found another source for the slop shuffle :
in :
Card Tricks That Get The Money
and
The Patter That gets the bookings
by Bill Derman
copyright 1992

page 77 Slop Shuffle Set-Up To Out Of This World

Hope this helps...
jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » August 6th, 2005, 7:02 pm

Love Bill Derman's book. Thanks for reminding me, Jacky.

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » August 9th, 2005, 12:59 pm

Hi,

Please find an overview of the complete list of sources mentioned in this topic :

Ortiz, Darwin: Scams & Fantasies with Cards
Page 174 ..... Pass the Garbage (Slop Shuffle)

Apocalypse Vol 8 No 9 Sept 85
Page 1108 Slop Shuffle Roll Over (Ray Mertz):

The Legendary Hierophant
By Jon Racherbaumer
Page 408 Sober Slop Shuffle ( Edward Marlo )

Edward Marlo, The Unexpected Card Book
Page 76.Sober Slop Shuffle Deal

Jon Rachernbaumer, Sankey Unleashed
Page 001 ..... Back in Time - Slop Shuffle (Sid Lorraine)

Martin Gardner Presents
by Martin Gardner
Page 26 A Slop Shuffle Discovery

Ogden, Tom: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic Tricks
Page 113 The Slop Shuffle:

Sadowitz, Jerry, Cards on the Table
Page 22 Slop Shuffle Variation

Lorayne, Harry: Harry Lorayne's Personal Collection
Page 457 Slop Shuffle

Lorayne, Harry: Deck-Sterity
Page103 Modernized Slop Shuffle

Jon Racherbaumer, Lecture Notes 1 1976
Page 4 Slop Shuffle Version

Bill Miesel
Fork Full of Appetizers, Book 1: From Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic Page 15 Double-dazzling Slop Shuffle Triumph (Bob Farmer)

Gathered info from this genii topic;

Ron Bauer's "Fair & Sloppy"

1. Slop Shuffle Roll Over ( Ray Mertz ),Apocalypse II Vol 06 - 10 ( 1983 - 1987 )

2. Sober Slop Shuffle ( Edward Marlo ), The Legandary Hierophant by Jon Racherbaumer

3. Modernized Slop Shuffle, Deck - sterity by Harry Lorayne

4. Slop Shuffle, Daryls Card Revelations Vol. 5 by Daryl Martinez

5. Subtle Slop Shuffle Aces, Magic Magazine by Stan Allen

Jay Sankey's "Back in Time" effect (published in several places: Sankey Unleashed, Sankeytized

"Personal Slop" from Paul Cummins

"Doing that Segregationist's Shuffle" page 79 of "Ever So Sleightly-The professional card technique of Martin A. Nash.

The James File pp. 1806-1807 edited by Allan Slaight.

Expert Card Technique by Hugard & Braue. "Separating The Colors" pp. 115-116.

"A Drunken False Shuffle" in Jerry Andrus's ANDRUS DEALS YOU IN pp.91-93. This is a really clever variation.

"Slop shuffle" pp. 44-46, THE MAGIC WORLD OF STEWART JUDAH edited by John Braun

"Optic Delusion" pp. 22-25 THE CERVON FILE.

"Subtle Problems you will Do" by Stuart Judah and John Braun, published by Abbott's Magic Novelty Co. in 1937, pages 34 and 35.

I would appreciate if some of you could update to the referenced books... which page?

Thanks!
Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 9th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Slop Poker (in one of my lecture notes from the '70s and soon to be in Genii)
Stay tooned.

Jonathan P.

Postby Jonathan P. » August 23rd, 2005, 8:37 am

It has been mentionned before, But Paul Cummins has put up a nice convincing "after the shuffle" cutting sequence that fools me each time I perform it. You really see mixed face-up and face down cards as you set up the deck for the final revelation. It is in FASDIU 1.

Jonathan.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”