Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
thecardman

Re: Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Postby thecardman » October 19th, 2004, 1:25 pm

Personally, I can't wait to see it with my own eyes in London at the end of November.

See you at Ron's, Mickey!

Best wishes

Peter
:)

mago

Postby mago » October 19th, 2004, 2:03 pm

It has been a Very long time since I have seen magic that has turned me on as much as Mickey Silver's!

I wish that Mickey would start a preview order list so that we can order his magic dvd now and be assured to be the first to have it.

Wow, just think if we could have it by Christmas!

Tom Wolf

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2004, 10:48 am

My only concern about a video or DVD teaching the SUV is that it might prove to be beyond my abilities.

And before you all get on your soapboxes and tell me that I shouldn't expect to master it in minutes, let me add that some sleights have taken me about a year to master. But I've persevered, and now I can do them.

But some sleights have proved to be beyond me.

Is the SUV "doable" by the average coin guy?

Dave

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 21st, 2004, 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
Is the SUV "doable" by the average coin guy?
There is only one person you can ask that question, Mickey himself.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2004, 12:39 pm

I didnt mean to pry. The question was meant to be addressed to Mickey, on the assumption that he would (at some future date) be publishing a video or DVD teaching the SUV.

And I now realise that I should have phrased my question better. Or, at least, I should have sent it to Mickey himself rather than posting it publicly.

But, as an afterthought, the same question could well be in the minds of others.

Dave

Arnie Fuoco

Postby Arnie Fuoco » October 23rd, 2004, 8:19 pm

Having just viewed Mickey perform this vanish, I can see why every post is unanimous on this being a step forward in coin magic. It's a ground breaking sleight. However, for that very reason I suspect that it is far beyond the average magician. It's worth the many hours that you have to put in but I suspect maybe one out of a large number would put in the effort. Hope I'm wrong.
Arnie Fuoco

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2004, 4:18 pm

What's the big deal? I got his vanish down in about an hour.....Just wanted to get your attention! I too got the demo from Mickey. What a talent. I also like how he seems to really enjoy what he does. My gut feeling on the difficulty level is, yes, this is attainable with lots of work. I think that what really sets his vanish apart is the PERFECT coordination of SO many moves and subtleties. If you do coin work, and do a decent retention vanish now, I assume that it will help as a building block to his "upgrades". That's what I am hoping anyway.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2004, 7:49 pm

How do we see this again?
I would love to see the demo tape, and would be more the happy to pay for S&H.
Thanks
Glenn

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 26th, 2004, 4:59 am

Originally posted by arnie:
... However, for that very reason I suspect that it is far beyond the average magician. It's worth the many hours that you have to put in but I suspect maybe one out of a large number would put in the effort. Hope I'm wrong.
Some time before my first meeting with Mickey, I realized that his sleights are important to him, and therefore decided not to notice any mechanics. A good choice as Mickey's magic looks better in person than on video.

I've spent a few hours with Mickey, and even seen inside his hand when he does the sleights. I can assure you there were no knuckle busting gymnastics or contortions, alien technology, trapdoors or special coins involved.

I am confident people will be able to learn these things when Mickey decides to teach.

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » November 3rd, 2004, 5:33 am

Couldn't stop watching the demo DVD that Mickey was kind enough to send me....
.... WOW

Like so many others, hoping to see more of his work !

Thanks Mickey !

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2004, 4:44 pm

HEH everyone. This is my 'first' post on here. Had a lot of difficulty getting on. Just received my demo of Mickey's dvd a few days ago, and I sat and watched it OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Just one word to describe Mickey's Coin work. UNBELIEVABLE!! In my 27 years of magic, I've NEVER seen this ROV vanish done so slowly and smoothly. Mickey's Coin in Mouth and Coin in Ear looks like Special Effects. I believe it is safe to say that Mickey has taken the ROV to amazing NEW levels.
Mickey has reignited my PASSION for coins again. While I don't honestly believe this will be out of reach of the 'average' magic guy, which I would definitely call myself, I believe it will take MANY hours of practise, to give it the justice it deserves. So, out come the Toonies...yup, I'm a Canuck. MANY MANY THANKS MICKEY. Can't wait for your DVD. If you start accepting preorders, I'M IN!!

mark

Postby mark » November 12th, 2004, 1:08 am

Certainly no one can speak with any certainty on the subject of learning the SUV but Mickey. However, let me ask you this; after watching Mickey do his stuff, did you not pick up your Morgan, or Kennedy, or Walking Liberty and try it yourself? Didn't you really LOOK at your own retention for the first time in years? Didn't you s-l-o-w it down and really *think* about it, perhaps for the very first time? With that in mind, you are at least well on your way to a *better* retention. If Mickey never did release a DVD, I can with honesty say that he has improved my magic, and inspired me to give my own 'basics' more time and attention. I am thinking about the simplist of sleights now, and giving much more thought to positions, sightlines, motivations, etc. Who knows how many of us will have the ability to get as good as Mickey? I can almost promise though, that you'll get better. Thanks, Mickey!!!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 12th, 2004, 6:06 am

If your watching the coin, you are missing the bigger picture.

Mickey has something more useful than a couple of coin moves to teach.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » November 12th, 2004, 7:07 am

Mickey has graciously agreed to appear at the World Magic Seminar in Vegas next February 20-23. The video is great, but seeing him in person will be even better!!
Bill Wells

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2004, 12:15 pm

WOHOO. Sorry I finally got the dvd.

WOW. Mickey, your addition, albight, now, seems like such an obvious idea, is simple and beautiful.

Also, when you did the vanish of the three silver dollars but kept shaking your hand, the sound was killer. I kept thinking you were doing some subtle slieght with your other hand to rub the dollars together to create the sound, but nothing, no movement or anything. Very clever solution by the way.

Love it.

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2004, 10:31 am

Just some thoughts I posted on at the cafe;\

I just recieved Mickey's demo DVD, FREE I might add.

The guy just seems so happy to share his magic, and magic in general. Very generous I might add. It is just a demo, but it is something els, and to share it is wonderfull.

I have just a few things to say about Mickey's take on the retention vanish. What new can be said though?
First I hade no idea what to expect when I hear that he shows the coin in that hand after he does the retantion vanish. When I saw what he did I thought 'My god, what an obvious soution! And WOW, how briliant a solution too.'

His addition here is phenomonal. I just love it.

As for his actual retention vanish, I loved that, what was it called, silver fall? That just looked beautiful. Again so simple yet so good. The best ones always are. When he did just a straight forward retention pass however, I thought that there was just too much visible movment of the fingers. But this is a problem I have with most retention pass'. It still looked beutiful in his hands. I think it looked even better and more convincing however in his mouth and ear oddly enough. But again that's just me.

Still briliant work.

The only other thing I have to say is that my lord what a character he is. When he first spoke I almost fell out of my chair. When he perfomrs it was mostly silent. And he does so with such a character to him. The kind of playfull movement that you might expect from a gentle childrens show magician (the character that one would use in a childrens show that is.)

But when Mickey spoke, he had such a thick Boston (at first I thought it was Brooklyn, but I'm from Canada so what do I know) accent that I just did not expect. I hope you don't think I'm poking fun or anything Mickey. I just have to admit that I did not expect the thick, though (I think that's just conotative with that type of accent)sounding Boston accent. Almost as unexpected and surpirising as your magic Mickey.

Just great work.

P.s. Mickey's SUV goes beyond the retention pass in my humble opinion.

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2004, 2:12 pm

Well, I've watched Mickey's FREE demo dvd a few more times since it arrived in the mail. Mickey has taken a rather simple sleight; the Retention of Vision Vanish, and turned it into a True MASTERPIECE, in MHO.

I started in magic in 77, and I've never ever seen a magician offer a free demo before, to the 'common everyday guy'. Sure, the PRO's will send their demo's to their magic buds, for their reviews, which somehow always end up 'positive', but I've never heard of anyone who has ever done what Mickey is doing; offering this AMAZING demo of his MASTERFUL COIN WORK to the everyday ordinary magic guy/gal. And even though I can do the ROV now, obviously not the EXACT way Mickey is doing it, and certainly NOT as smooth, I will still buy his DVD, when it's released, to SUPPORT this VERY GENEROUS MAN. I have NO idea how he does the effect with the 3 coins; that is, how he gets the sound JUST before opening the empty hand. AMAZING!! And I've watched this several times in SLO MO. The moves, I kinda understand, but not the 'sound' effect. I've never seen anything closer to REAL MAGIC as this. It is my hope that Mickey's DVD will be ready for release by the spring, if not sooner. Thanks again Mickey for sharing your MASTERPIECE with all of us.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2004, 6:25 pm

Yeah, the sound is what had me going for a loop too there. Just amazing.

And to have a name like Silver. Tell me that IS your real name Mickey.

Chaz Misenheimer

Postby Chaz Misenheimer » November 15th, 2004, 12:12 pm

I have seen the Demo DVD and want to say thank you to Mickey for sharing this work. WOW again!

MSD921 says it well...
I think that what really sets his vanish apart is the PERFECT coordination of SO many moves and subtleties.
Mickey's work is more than one move, or two moves. It is a smooth combination of ideas, reflecting real depth of thought. Reflected as well is the discipline to carry his ideas to the masterpiece level.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2004, 5:39 pm

after hearing all of the talk on the Magic Cafe, i decided to ask Mickey for a demo which of course he sent me immediatly. UUUUNNNNNBELIEVABLE!!!!. I just can't wait for the dvd to come out. By the way, is anyone having trouble getting on the Magic Cafe. I'm a regular user on it and just got back in from out of town and can't seem to be able to get on. Is the site down or not working or something?

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2004, 12:13 pm

I too received the DVD very quickly and was completely blown away by Mickey's work. The level of thought behind it is exceptional, as is his execution. But what I'd really like to say is "Thank you, Mickey, for being such a nice guy and sharing this with us." It's easy to get cynical about magic, and it often takes something given wholly from the heart to make us remember that it really should be fun, and this is a blast.

Thanks!

Zech Johnson

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » November 24th, 2004, 1:27 am

I also got to watch the DVD and I'll add my voice to those that have said it is unbelievable. What really got me was when Mickey said that throughout all the performances, the coin was *never* actually placed in his hand! The production of the coin from the hand is just as amazing as the vanish.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2004, 3:59 am

Mickey Silver also sent me his video 3 times! The first two did not reach me and luckily the third did. He is a very nice guy and his vanish is really really really astonishing. A very basic move that is real magic to the eyes. I hope the video of him will be released soon.

Thanks again Mickey..

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 28th, 2004, 5:23 pm

i have just got back from macmillans

and saw mickey on stage and then off stage inches away

you cant explain it

its magic

very charming and gracious man who gave anyone hwo wanted it a demo DVD - very clever marketing

so yes, the fuss is worth it, this is the best coin vanish i have ever seen

and then some

and thanks for the DVD!

James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby James » November 29th, 2004, 5:35 am

Mr Goat,

Can you tell us who won the contest?

Thanks,

James

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 29th, 2004, 2:37 pm

Originally posted by James Demas:
Mr Goat,

Can you tell us who won the contest?

Thanks,

James
I'm afraid I can't. I didn't go on the Saturday, so didn't see it and therefore didn't sit around for the presentation on the Sunday, I was out jamming.

Sorry. Maybe they will update the site soon...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 29th, 2004, 2:59 pm

Update site? What's the URL?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2004, 3:50 pm

I too would like to get my hands on this dvd.
Mr silver?

Thanks in advance

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2004, 4:14 pm

The result of the Close-Up Competition was:

1. Ferenc Galambos (Hungary)
2. Kevin Gallagher (UK)
3. Marc Oberon (UK)

Three awards of merit were given to Adam Keisner (UK), Hyashi (Germany) and Mickey Silver (USA).

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 30th, 2004, 3:31 am

I've posted material on the MacMillan convention in (of all places) the Roommate Finder Forum.

But I want to add a few words about Mickey Silver. This guy is amazing. He was very self-depricatibg about his appearance on stage, maintaining that what he does is close-up work. I thought he was great on stage, but I also admit that close up, it's even better.

He has taken the Retention Vanish and opened it up, literally, so that the receiving hand is open and the effect is outrageous. He precedes the vanish with a feint that makes the vanish all the more amazing. He's got an energy and enthusiasm that is just wonderful, and he's a nice guy to boot.

Sorry I missed meeting mrgoat. Glad I got to witness Mickey Silver. Someone should get this guy into a studio for a "real" DVD. Are you listening, Bob Kohler?

Matt Field

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 30th, 2004, 4:41 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:

Sorry I missed meeting mrgoat. Glad I got to witness Mickey Silver. Someone should get this guy into a studio for a "real" DVD. Are you listening, Bob Kohler?

Matt Field
Didn't know you were going Matt, sorry I missed you. Did you not hear my little hooves gallaping about the place? ;) Actually the mrgoat thing is just an online 'nick' I have used for years and years when posting personally identifying facts was thought to be a bad idea.

The DVD is a nobrainer. And with his brilliantly clever 'give away the effect' DVD for free strategy you know there is a market just waiting for the tutorial one!

They will fly!

Randy

Postby Randy » September 7th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Quite a while back there was talk that Mickey Silver was going to release a DVD about his much talked about "retention of vision" vanish. I know he was gracious enough to send out a short demo tape to those who asked but was wondering the status of the DVD? Anybody have any info?

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 7th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Hi Randy,

I can't speak to whether or not Mickey Silver will be releasing a DVD, but as a sidenote, Al Schneider discusses Mickey's approach to the retention vanish in a forthcoming column called The Intention of Reality, which will appear in Magicana shortly.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Steve Proescher

Postby Steve Proescher » September 8th, 2005, 3:55 am

Hey guys: I did see this on Vinny Marini's web site (http://www.vinnymarini.com). There was no further explanation.

UPDATE: We finished filming Mickey Silver in Vegas, went real well till the cops showed up...but that's another story. We are wrapping up the final production touches and the DVD should be ready in about 4 weeks. Here's a rundown of what's going to be included:
-Godfather's Top Change!
-some bonus effects and sleights by the Godfather
-Mickey Silver will be tipping his handling on a classic coin sleight!
-Pablo Tejero presents his beautiful Caress Change
-Joe Jesse elaborates on a coin routine
-Rannie Raymundo illustrates a wonderful card effect
-Dan Oakes shares an idea with a memorized deck
-Eric Jones explains a dazzling coin effect
-Mano and his one coin routine
-Charlie Chang teaches his rub-a-double card routine
-and lots more!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 8th, 2005, 4:57 am

Originally posted by Steve Proescher:
Hey guys: I did see this on Vinny Marini's web site (http://www.vinnymarini.com). There was no further explanation.

UPDATE: We finished filming Mickey Silver in Vegas, ...
-Mickey Silver will be tipping his handling on a classic coin sleight!...
If I read you correctly, you used an unspecified term "classic coin sleight" to obliquely state that his SUV is not expained on the video.

Still nice to see quality video of Mickey in action.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2005, 8:11 am

Just discovered this thread. I've seen Mickey's Retention vanish both in person and on the vhs tapes he sent me over a year ago.

I can't say enough about the vanish. Simply the most convincing piece of sleight of hand I've ever seen. (And I've seen a lot!)

I had heard that Mickey was going to work with Louis Falanga making an L & L DVD of his work. He was tentatively scheduled to come out to California this month. But, I just heard the day before yesterday that it's not going to happen. I do hope that someone will do a full video of his coin work. Glad to hear that there will be something of his on Vinny's upcoming DVD.

And, I got to spend just a little time with Mickey in Reno at the IBM Convention. What a great guy!

Denny Loomis

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2005, 8:19 am

It's great, if a tiny bit of Mikeys work will be on Vinny's upcoming DVD, though it really would be a shame if the project with L&L is cancelled!

In general, L&L have the *power* due to having/using highly expensive cameras and expert crews (and pro specs :) ), to make high quality vids keeping up with the standard of what any artistcan wish for!

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2006, 2:01 am

Mickey Silver was kind enough to send me a demo tape about a year ago -- simply unbelivable retention vanish.

Mickey, what will it take for you to provide a teaching dvd? My checkbook awaits you.

Thanks!

Dean

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 6:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and coin magic.

I'm just wondering if there is a DVD tutorial on Mickey's Silver Coin Retention Vanish yet?

any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Melisa

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Mickey has never released any explanation of his methods.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”