Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2004, 6:28 am

Hello, Fellow Magi,

I'd like to bring to your attention, something that so surprised me, and inspired me, I have to share it with you. This has already been discussed (albeit briefly) in the Magic Cafe:

If you are a coin worker (or, like me, DID do coins, but moved on to other things), you MUST see Mickey Silver's Retention Vanish with a single silver dollar. I had expressed interest in seeing what the fuss was all about, and lo, and behold, a video tape arrives in my mail. When that tape started playing, I felt like a kid again. It's been so long since I was really FOOLED by a magic effect, I had forgotton what it's like...

He visibly puts the coin in his hand (ala ROV), then SHOWS it again...it is UNMISTAKEABLY in that hand, he flourishes a bit, and GONE! I thought it was camera trickery (it obviously is not) at first, but it's real. I've NEVER in my entire life, seen a vanish so convincing, plus, the ROV "bounces around", from ear to ear, mouth to ear, ear to mouth...using ONE silver dollar. He does an "Eating Coins" routine that had me laughing until my sides hurt!

I wanted to at least share it with you guys, in the hopes that someone will pick this up and run with it. The Retention Of Vision is one of the best vanishes, IMO...and Mickey Silver (Boston, MA) has taken it to a new level.

I've been in touch with him a couple of times, and will steer him here to see if he wants to comment...

Hoping to see your comments/suggestions!

Cheers!

Doug

Randy

Re: Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Postby Randy » January 2nd, 2004, 10:30 am

Hi Doug,

You are obviosly very impressed with this ROV vanish. Anywhere we can see this on a demo video, etc?

Happy New Year to all.

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2004, 5:43 am

I'm hoping he will comment here...He contacted me again, and is working on a teach-in...he needs to contact someone who can professionally put together a DVD or VHS of this...

The magic world NEEDS this badly...I PM'd him at the Cafe, and he responded very quicky...he is sending out demo tapes to those who ask...it would be a nice gesture to include something to cover his postage expense, but he did not ask for it...I do plan on at least reimbursing him for the postage, but have to wait for payday LOL!

Hopefully he will join us here as well.

Stay tuned!

Doug

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2004, 3:18 am

i have seen this personally at the LVMI. great stuff, kills me all the time. might as well learn how to hide the coin in your mouth because thats what the audience is going to think. lol

Tony C.

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2004, 11:17 am

I (again) have watched this over and over...I'm thinking it's a "pivot" of some sort, but my timing's still off. I've been practicing with a silver dollar, but maybe I need to downsize to a Kennedy Half.

I'll give him another invite to this forum, and see what he thinks about joining here as well.

Cheers!

Doug

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 4th, 2004, 12:40 pm

Maybe he wants to publish it in Genii?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mickey Silver

Postby Mickey Silver » January 4th, 2004, 2:48 pm

HEY EVERYONE! How you doing..DOUG I Finally figured out how to get on.
MICKEY

Mickey Silver

Postby Mickey Silver » January 4th, 2004, 3:00 pm

Yes Richard, if I were to publish it (Silver's Ultimate Vanish) in any Magazine! Genii would be it. I've been a subscriber to Genii for many years and have always enjoyed it's monthly issues.
Thanks a million,
Mickey Silver

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 4th, 2004, 5:42 pm

:)

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 6:13 am

Ah,

Welcome to the Genii Forum, Mickey! I was just telling everyone...

Cheers!

Doug

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 7:42 am

I must say WOW. I'm am deeply interested in this retention myself. I want to be one of the first to know when this gets published!
On a side note...I've modified Paul Harris' Bizarre Twist and would like to know how to contact him or some way to get the info out. My handling of it is super clean to me and it simply needs to be known. Thanks much,

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 29th, 2004, 7:51 am

I've now seen Mickey Silver's tape and have to say that I am mystified as to how his Retention Vanish can look so good.
Hmmmmmmmmm

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 29th, 2004, 5:54 pm

Send Mickey to my studio and will take some incredible photos... hah, but will still photos do it justice??????????

I think the coin is shimmed and he has a huge magnet implanted in his palm, ear and under his tongue... :D
Stay tooned.

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » January 30th, 2004, 10:08 am

Where can we see these routines, please? :help:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 30th, 2004, 10:17 am

Ask Mickey for a demo vid
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2004, 6:37 pm

Of all the coin work I've seen, nothing compares to this...

Watch this space...we may have some REAL good news for those who have not seen this yet...I gotta keep quiet until then... ;)

He IS working on a teach-in...it may be a while yet...you know how those things go...I hope sooner than later!

Meanwhile...expanded shells and C/S, and Hopping Halves for me! I've tried replicating Mickey's SUV in front of the bathroom mirror over and over, and ended up dropping my silver dollar in the commode! :rolleyes:

Doug

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2004, 6:21 am

Well, I got my tape yesterday evening and I must say that I have to agree...it is the BEST rov I've seen in 16 years of magic.

Mickey did a heck of a job and should consider publishing it. The thinking behind the vanish is what amazed me...and got me thinking again. ;) I just want to thank you, Mickey, for what you did, you are quite a gentleman.

In thinking this over, it would be neat imo to write a book with this in it and other contributions from magi world wide into one collective coin reference. Only one man would be right for the job and based on the best magic book ever printed (the collected almanac of course) I nominate Richard Kaufman. ;)

Anyway, the vanish is top notch along with his sleight of hand. Definately worth checking into. Thanks a million Mickey,

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » February 23rd, 2004, 11:24 am

I saw the demo of Mickey's ROV vanish this weekend - "WOW!!" hardly comes close! I hope he publishes the mechanics of this sleight and/or comes out with a "teaching" DVD soon. Or better still, perhaps he will share with just a few of us! :D :D

Thanks for sharing this with us, Mickey!

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2004, 1:30 pm

Mickey was kind enough to send his demo tape all the way to Denmark (thank you again, Mickey) so I could see what you all were yelling about...
Now I had to yell, scream and laugh, too! That move is absolutely AMAZING!
The normal ROV is absolutely convincing, and I'm not that old in the field of sleight-of-hand coin magic, so I still remember how I felt when I first saw David Roth do it on one of his tapes: it looked like real magic.
But Mickey Silver adds a couple of other dimensions and possibilities with the additional move where the coin is shown in the hand AGAIN - after the steal! Now you're really convinced that the coin is in the hand!
This gives you a really strong weapon and even opens up for improvisation on the way.

And the Human Slot Machine - I had the whole family laughing when we saw that one: Mickey pulls tons of coins out of ears, eyes and mouth in an incredible speed! Amazing - again, and very funny!

Can't wait to get the secrets on the upcoming DVD.

/Kim

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 28th, 2004, 10:00 pm

Mickey was kind enough to send me a copy of his demonstration tape as well and the move is incredible in his hands. Add me to the list of those eager to learn the details when the DVD version becomes available. Thanks, Mickey!

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » April 13th, 2004, 1:45 pm

I, too, would like to learn Mickey's retention vanish stuff. Watching him on the tape made me smile at how much he fooled me. That was really fun.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 13th, 2004, 4:30 pm

I understand that in order to do Mickey's incredible moves the first thing you have to do is change your name to xxxxxx SILVER, or it won't work

The list of first names is short, so hurry. :p
Stay tooned.

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » April 14th, 2004, 4:15 am

I've got first dibs on "HiYo", Kemosabe!

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2004, 7:34 am

Originally posted by Jon Elion:
I've got first dibs on "HiYo", Kemosabe!
If "HiYo" has gone, then I'll have to take "Copper". :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 14th, 2004, 9:36 am

Nickle Silver here... we're off to a good start. :sleep:
Stay tooned.

Stefan Sprenger

Postby Stefan Sprenger » April 14th, 2004, 10:22 am

Hi there,

ist there any chance for a guy form Germany to see it too??

Best

Stefan

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » April 15th, 2004, 7:45 am

Sterling would be my choice.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2004, 10:11 am

...or how about Quick.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 15th, 2004, 11:04 am

Youse Guys are too clever... love your choices. Sterling is the best so far...
Stay tooned.

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » April 20th, 2004, 2:55 pm

If you think the Silver Ultimate Vanish looks good on his demo tape, you won't believe it when you see him do it in person. I saw Mickey do this literally surrounded by magicians and laymen and he absolutely floored them. No gimmmicks, no devices, just pure sleight of hand mechanics perfected.
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2004, 7:29 pm

I was one of those surrounding Mickey at the Conclave Convention while doing his coin magic and it floored everyone in the room. Mickey has great ideas for using this retention vanish (it has certain applications that other retentions don't). Not only is Mickey good at magic, but he's a really nice guy! I think the magic world needs more people like Mickey (perfectionists as well as great performers) and I look forward to this dvd (or whereever it's published).

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2004, 11:53 am

I was there too, and he was awsome! I got the nerve to show him my vanish, and it actually impressed him.... no, I'm not great.... just got lucky trying an unknown vanish. He might just be the catalyst to get me more into coins.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2004, 1:04 pm

I am now dying to see this vanish.

Mr Silver, I can send you a self addressed stamped packing envelope if needed for me to see this demo. It sounds incredible. If this brings even half the wonder that the regular retention vanish can I am in.

Glenn.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2004, 7:10 pm

Mickey was at the MAGIC Live! convention in August, and I asked him to do his thing for some well-posted sleight of hand men. All were dumbfounded.
And, it's true, it DOES look better in person than on video.

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2004, 2:54 pm

OK guys - Where can we get the next word on this thing?

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » October 6th, 2004, 3:39 pm

Just got the demo DVD and I couldn't stop watching it. This has got to be the biggest improvement to the ROV in quite some time!

Great work Mickey!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » October 15th, 2004, 11:15 pm

Vernon said it and Goshman took it to heart.
"Learn to do something better than anyone else and you will gain an enduring reputation." (Paraphrase)

Goshman worked on Spellbound.

Mickey Silver has done this with his Retention Vanish and Retention Sell. This cleanses one of the doors of perception that has only been opened a crack.

In his enthusiasm Mickey tends to overdo it, but in a zany sort of way it's infectious and delightfully over the top. When he calms down in due time, the near perfection of the concept will be complete.

Great job, Mickey.

Onward...

mago

Postby mago » October 16th, 2004, 7:43 am

Jon,

I predict that when Mickey finally places his video on sale, it will be the largest selling video of our time.

He is considering also private teaching videos that I am sure will also sell very well.

And he sends his demo videos all over the world for free!.

What a wonderful, kind and creative magician he is.

I feel that I have been blessed living long enough to have seen his incredible magic.

Onward and upward, Jon.

Tom Wolf

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » October 19th, 2004, 12:28 pm

Hey Mickey................I watched you perform your Silver's Ultimate Vanish at the MAGIC LIVE Convention. Visually there was no doubt in my mind that the coin was placed in your left hand. The burn you create is a very strong one. Your vanish is fascinating.

Why or how does it work? If you would rather keep it sub rosa for now and would rather not talk about it I understand.

Gary Kosnitzky

Mickey Silver

Postby Mickey Silver » October 19th, 2004, 1:18 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Gary, it was a pleasure meeting you at Magic Live. Your "NEW" coin toss routine was fasinating!! I would be happy to answer your question regarding my retention vanish.

I believe: Traditional coin vanishes provide the spectator's with CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE of the coin being transferred to your other hand. That circumstantial evidence often becomes SUSPECT EVIDENCE as soon as you open your hand to show the "vanish" and thus they look towards your other hand -- the guilty one. My Silver's Ultimate Vanish (SUV) substitutes the circumstantial evidence for EYEWITNESS EVIDENCE that the coin has been transferred, which is in fact (unbeknownst to them) FALSE EVIDENCE. Thus, when the hand is opened, the IllUSION of a vanish seems to be an impossible-but-true REALITY!

First you deceive their eyes --- and then they deceive themselves

Gary, think really hard about this!

Mickey

Return to “Close-Up Magic”