Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Dougini
Favorite Magician: There are too many

Re: Mickey Silver

Postby Dougini » April 19th, 2016, 6:37 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:is he still around? working?

Yeah, Brad. As far as I know, anyway. He performs everywhere he goes. A unique individual, to be sure...

Doug

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Mickey Silver's Coin Retention Vanish (Silver's Ultimate Vanish)

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 20th, 2016, 11:00 am

Micky's sleights look amazing in action. His performing style seems to go over well with every audience I've watched so far ... still a matter of taste.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Mr. Silver's style may not appeal to all, but it sure looks like he's having fun (especially with this music, which seems to fit Vegas perfectly):

To those who knew Mike Skinner: is the "swooshing" noise Mr. Silver makes similar to what Mr. Skinner used to do? (I only got to see Mr. Skinner once, and he didn't do any tricks during that session that included "swooshing", so I've always wondered about that).

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 20th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Skinner's sound was different, but to a layman they would probably sound the same. To make Skinner's sound, form your lips into an "O" shape and exhale quickly and briefly.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 20th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Mickey is probably the ONLY coin worker I can actually say I'm entertained by.

Most guys just sit there mumbling, demoing great chops, but mumbling ... or worse, saying nothing at all.

At least Mickey brings it all together, unbelievable talent that actually plays out by mystifying even those in the know ... and a concerted effort to put on a show with just his hands and a couple of coins.

I think belittling Mickey portends a critic who doesn't at all understand what entertaining the public or raw talent is actually about.

So remembering that this is, in the end, only a coin magician ... Mickey is talented, entertaining, engaging, demonstrative, enthusiastic, and is demonstrating moves largely of his own creation ... WTF do you actually want in a coin magician if not the above?!

Dougini
Favorite Magician: There are too many

Re: Mickey Silver

Postby Dougini » April 21st, 2016, 5:33 pm

Totally agree! I see all the time, people ranting about originality. Be YOU! Make your OWN routines...well, here you are! You don't GET much more original than Mickey!

Doug

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » April 21st, 2016, 7:07 pm

One thing about Mickey is you need to see him live, video doesn't do him a lot of favors. He was at a convention about to do his human slot machine and some other guests of the hotel were walking by and stopped. Their reaction to his routine was priceless.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 22nd, 2016, 11:31 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Skinner's sound was different, but to a layman they would probably sound the same. To make Skinner's sound, form your lips into an "O" shape and exhale quickly and briefly.

Thanks, Richard!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 22nd, 2016, 3:11 pm

I've only seen Micky perform live until tnese video. He is certainly idiosyncratic in his style, and while it is not the kind of approach to magic I. as a rule, enjoy, the net effect (in person) 'works'. I think he manages to get this style over because he isn't a particularly polished performer. There is a real humanness to what he does. If you can let go of your preconceptions about what a magician should act like, you can have a pleasant time watching Mickey for who he IS.

having said that, I don't think the videos make my case. seeing him at that distance, so flat, is a bit unnerving. Of course, I know MANY people who feel that way about tamariz. I was lucky that the first time I saw him was literally sitting next to him on a couch. I know people whose first saw Juan on a video and he makes them uneasy. when you are with Juan in the moment his exclamations and violin playing punctuate the energy of the moment. On screen it just looks odd.

I would encourage people to keep an open mind about Silver. to me he is one of those special characters who make magic wonderful. He's just a normal guy from Boston who can do something unlike anyone else in the world.

i like that.
I like that he is different.
I like that he can give us a truly unique experience no other magician can replicate.

I'm reminded of a great sushi chef who explained that we should appreciate all flavors and textures for what they are and revel in their specialness.

I may not want a diet consisting solely of silver's style, but I'm happy for us he is on the menu.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”