Okay! How about....

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Okay! How about....

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 4th, 2001, 11:43 pm

No problem, Ed, some things just set me off. As far as Marlo goes, Convincing Control, Atfus, and The Shank Shuffle all REALLY piss me off. In the case of Convincing Control, Al Sharpe described a sleight he'd seen Jennings do to Marlo over the phone. Marlo then worked out his handling and published it with no credit to Jennings.
In the case of Atfus, the sleight is Alex Elmsley's and was published, I think, in The Gen. Later Marlo improved the technique, adding breaks where Elmsley used crimps, but the mechanics and end result were identical, of course Marlo gave NO credit to Elmsley.
As far as The Shank Shuffle, this was a farce from the beginning--a bold-faced attempt to steal credit from Herb Zarrow.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2001, 9:08 pm

Thanks for the tips fellas. My faro is still hurting though..hehe. Carl, is the technique you referred to called the straddle faro? Someone was showing me this technique the other day....it sounds similar..

Rick Franceschin

Postby Rick Franceschin » September 7th, 2001, 11:31 pm

One move that I still can't do consistently is D'Amico's one handed double lift. I can get maybe two clean ones out of every ten tries. Any suggestions?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”