Marlo Outjogged Oil & Water

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
docguitarman

Marlo Outjogged Oil & Water

Postby docguitarman » October 6th, 2023, 3:57 pm

I just came upon this Marlo version, and see it was taught in the May 2003 Magic magazine, p.68.
I can't decipher the instructions. Photo 4 and photo 3 are incongruous. Photo 4 shows the angled card on the bottom, while photo 3 shows it on the top! It seem the initial description of the method will not get you to the position of photo 4.
Also photo 5 is the same as photo 3. SO is photo 3 wrong?

I'd like to get this version under my fingers but can't figure it out ! Help.

I understand the book "Talk about Tricks" has republished the effects. Question: Does the book correct such errors ?

Phil

Philippe Billot

Re: Marlo Outjogged Oil & Water

Postby Philippe Billot » October 6th, 2023, 4:06 pm

I think you are speaking about the Down-jog displacement.

You can find it in Marlo's Magazine, volume 3, 1979, page 127, Pure Oil & Water

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 6th, 2023, 4:19 pm

I looked at the issue (thank you iGenii site for having all of MAGIC as well ... talk about a bargain at just $35 a year! [yes, that's a shameless plug.]), and I would also say that the description and the photos are in fact as clear as mud. I can't even figure out what was supposed to be happening. I went several issues forward to see if any corrections were printed; nothing. I cannot say whether or not the book version has been corrected. Good luck in your search.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 6th, 2023, 4:35 pm

It's easier to learn from the "Talk about Tricks" DVD set.

Not a huge fan of the move overall.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 6th, 2023, 4:37 pm

If it helps, Josh used this phase in his routine that was included in the Talk about Tricks DVD set from L&L. Setting the video vs text discussion aside for a moment, the move is explained well there.

It's not massively hard to grasp, but I acknowledge that the description in the magazine is easier to follow if you already know the move...

To help Phil's photo confusion; photo 2 shows the first upjog of the second card. Photo 3 is feeding the second red card >above< this card. Photo 4 is from below - this shows the second red card 'clicking' off the black card, allowing it to be fed above it. Photon 5 just shows the second red card aligned with the first, in the spread.

If you think of the move as forming two four card fans, you'll get there. Read through the description again, paying attention to the penultimate paragraph on page 68, beginning 'Without retracting' - this explains the 'clicking' which is the main method for the routine.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 6th, 2023, 5:14 pm

I read the trick in Magic (page 68).

It is the down-jog displacement as called by Marlo or Racherbaumer, (I don't remember which one) and it was described in Marlo's Magazine, Vol. 3.

I remember very well this technique because I translate and pass it to Bébel (the french cardman) who since use it all the time.

This technique is not very difficult to learn as soon as you understand the mechanism

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » October 6th, 2023, 10:50 pm

I do the Marlo version but it must be a different Marlo version! The one I do doesn't sound anything like the descriptions on this thread. It is actually described in one of the Ganson/Vernon card books. It gives Marlo's routine followed by Vernon's Routine. Marlo's is better!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 7th, 2023, 9:25 am

Yes, it's a different version because you use only eight cards, displacement, double and second deal.

It's inspired by a David Solomon's version (which is also in Marlo's Magazine, Vol. 3)

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 8th, 2023, 10:23 am

I think it's a cute move and it caught me the first time I saw it.
what may be tripping you up is that in photo 2 it looks like the black card is going on top of the red Ace... it actually goes underneath, as is (almost) clear in the third photo. You are not reversing the cards, 'just' spreading them (apparently).
While photos 5 and 3 look the same, in photo 3 the 6 Hearts is below the 2 Spades. In photo 5 it is being slipped above the 2. Which is, in essence, the heart of the move. (As, I see Ian has already pointed out!).
and, yes, Tarotist's Marlo method in the Vernon book is completely different.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » October 8th, 2023, 7:15 pm

I bet if a survey was done asking which magic tricks magicians abhorred the most these would be the top three in no particular order.

1. Oil and Water
2. Ambitious Card
3. The Egg Bag

It is indeed true that many, many people will love the above items but I think you will be surprised by the number of magicians that abhor them.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » October 9th, 2023, 3:57 am

I could never see the point of Oil & Water as a plot. And I'm not much of a card person, anyway.

Then about 25 years ago I put together an Oil & Water routine with a presentation that I liked. And lay audiences invariably tell me how much they enjoy it.

Conjurors seem to enjoy it too, but they're not my target audience so I don't really care about that.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 9th, 2023, 8:49 am

Dave Le Fevre wrote:I could never see the point of Oil & Water as a plot.

Simon Lovell came up with a plot for that trick whereby the common folk were trying to mix with the nobility.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » October 9th, 2023, 11:18 am

I can't remember who first said it, but Dave is right - the presentation is different from the effect. I don't like the 'oil and water' presentation. Particularly now - who knows that oil and water don't mix?
But the effect is a good one. Passes Carlyle's 'one sentence' rule.
Lovell's idea is great. But also - how about - The black and red cards have a mutual dislike (ending with giving them an apparently mixed deck, sealed, and asking them to check it in the morning...)? Or - something that has relevance to where you perform?

Incidentally, Jennings had some wonderful handlings in the Up in Smoke booklet.

I'd love to hear if Phil has cracked the Marlo version!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 9th, 2023, 12:55 pm

To get off the beaten track, I recommend two versions:

Oil & Queens by Roy Walton (in which you end with the four queen in the other packet)
Nu-Way Oil and Water by Aldo Colombini (in which you end with eight blacks)

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 9th, 2023, 2:01 pm

Here's a premise for Oil & Water I filmed some time ago that I don't think had been tried before:
https://jackshalom.net/2016/02/20/berni ... ard-magic/

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 9th, 2023, 3:11 pm

Your premise is also in the routine described in Marlo's Magazine, Volume 3. Not the technique nor the patter but the idea of mixing instantly red and blacks

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » October 9th, 2023, 4:58 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:Oil & Queens by Roy Walton
The method of the first half of my routine is basically A Switch in Time by Roy Walton

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 10th, 2023, 2:50 am

Very good trick from Tale Twisters published in 1972. An Illogical Conclusion is also a good one

Return to “Close-Up Magic”